- We stay in local accommodation and visit local restaurants, generating both economic and employment opportunities.
- Where possible, our trips visit and support community-owned cooperatives and local social enterprises.
- We pursue gender equality and the protection of human rights across all of our trips and have high standards of welfare for guides and porters.
- We avoid contrived cultural experiences that are not respectful of people. Instead, we actively seek to support the preservation of cultural and traditional heritage, using the knowledge of our local guides.
- Our child protection policy does not allow orphanage tourism or school visits
The Exodus Travels Foundation is a vehicle for us to improve lives for people in our destination communities. Here are just some of the ways in which we have supported local people:
- Trained 30 female mountain guides to lead groups up Mount Kilimanjaro
- Promoted peaceful coexistence between humans and wildlife in a remote national park in Kenya, allowing the community to live sustainably off their land
- Distributed over 1000 Freedom Kit Bags to improve the health and wellbeing of women in rural Nepal and break the stigma around menstruation
- Taken students in Zambia on an educational trip in their home region to connect with the nature, wildlife and the cultures on their doorstep
- Enabled porters in Peru to visit Machu Picchu for the first time
- Provided disaster relief for those most vulnerable in times of crisis
Read more about how our Foundation uplifts communities here.
Exodus Adventure Travels is a founding sponsor for wmnsWORK, a global organisation designed to enable women and non-binary individuals to build and grow tourism businesses. Even though woman make up the majority of the travel industry, there is a vast disparity of representation in leadership and ownership positions. wmnsWORK serves as an entrepreneurial ecosystem of encouragement, anti-oppressive support and applicable education for those in the early stage of development.
Exodus Adventure Travels’ sponsorship allows individuals who identifies as BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and/or disabled to join a special training, mentoring and peer support program. This important program has enabled woman and non-binary individuals around the world have the support they need to thrive as entrepreneurs.