Exodus started working at our Morocco projects in 2002 when we put in a water pipe in Tijhza village. For the last 7 years we have been working in conjunction with Baraka Community Partnerships and in this time our volunteers have renovated classrooms, painted dozens of village houses, repaired water pipes, dug irrigation channels and helped build a village hammam.
Biggest achievement to date
Our biggest single achievement has to be the building of the Hammam in Tijhza. The importance of this building is more than just a beautifully tiled steam bathhouse where villagers can keep clean and socialise, but provides employment and income for the village so in the long term we hope the village will be able to fund its own projects.
In recognition of all the work we have undertaken in Tijhza we were awarded the Responsible Travel Award for Social and Economic Development by the Moroccan Ministry of Tourism in 2012.
Exodus is currently working in three main areas:
- Tijhza Village, this remote village is tucked away in the High Atlas Mountains, and only intrepid travellers manage to visit. Situated 4-5 hours south of Marrakech, this village is often forgotten by authorities when it comes to healthcare, education and infrastructure. In the 8 years our volunteer groups have been visiting Tijhza we have worked with the local community to achieve many improvements (see below)
- Tafedna on the coast south of Essaouria. Our support here has centred on renovating the village school and improving a facility for a women’s Argane oil cooperative.
- Imlil in the Toubkal National Park. A new project in 2013, we kick started our support for Imlil on our volunteer trips last year by helping construct a small reservoir and improving the village irrigation channels.
• Building of a water tower, including water pipes
• Provision of vital permanent village irrigation channels
• Infrastructure improvements and renovations for Tijhza village school including an ablutions block, school boundary wall, new windows and doors, and painting and renovating classrooms
• Tonnes of clothing, educational, sports and medical equipment donated to all 3 communities
• Medical and eye clinics for villagers including funds for major operations
• Dental care for children (providing toothbrushes and toothpaste)
• Tree planting
• Providing low energy bulbs for over 250 village houses
• Painting of over 20 poorer villagers’ houses
How You Can Help
Visit – come on one of Exodus’ Morocco holidays and you should get an opportunity to visit at least one of our projects. On the following trips you will be able to visit Tijhza and use the hammam thus contributing to vital funds for village projects:
Atlas Panorama Walking Holiday
Highlights of Morocco Cultural Holiday
Donate – send us any leftover Dirhams you may have, or donate online to help us raise funds for the schools. Any money you donate will be match funded by our charity partner Baraka Community Partnerships, essentially doubling your donation.
Speak to a Supporter
You can contact our Exodus Project Managers Megan Devenish or Baraka’s Andy McKee
Exodus' Kay Palmer writes about her visit to Tijhza village
Exodus client Diane Sleigh tells how she turned her hobby into a business for Tijhza residents
Exodus client Richard Thornton explains how he Got Involved