Pandas and Warriors Family Trip 7th August 2010

We'd love to chat to other families on this trip to break the ice before we depart.

charlie2

Hi! We are The Newmans and are also leaving on 7th August. Daughter aged 12 son aged 14. Our first trip to China!

TheTaits

Hi, we are the Taits, daughter aged 15 and son aged 13. Starting to get really excited now. Never really done a trip like this before so not sure what to expect apart from a huge culture shock! Looking forward to absolutely everything and hoping it was the right decision not to take malaria medication!

charlie2

Hi! We're not taking malaria tablets either - just having the jabs! Counting down the days. Trying to decide how much luggage to take - have you seen an essential kit list? Have they advised towels etc?

TheTaits

Are you just having Hepatitis A and Typhoid? I haven't organised ours yet. I hope we're not too late?? I'll have a look tomorrow at the kit requirements. I'm just telling all of mine that the less taken the better as we'll have to keep packing and unpacking the whole trip. We did get new walking shoes though as the kids had grown out of theirs so need to get them broken in before we go. I wonder if that can be done on a cricket pitch as that is where my son will be most of the summer!

charlie2

Yes, we're just having those - booked to have them this Wednesday.  You need to have them 2 weeks before travel so you will have just enough time! We're also planning to take as little as possible and to buy extra kit as we go along as / when we need it. I imagine there will be plenty of shops, markets etc. I presume you are also on the 20.25hr flight from Heathrow to Beijing on the 7th? We decided to extend our stay in Hong Kong by 3 nights so we are not returning until 25th / 26th. Have you decided waht ratio to take of cash / travellers cheques / relying on cards??? Some sources suggest there are cash machines everywhere and others recommend cash (dollars) over travellers cheques.

TheTaits

What a great idea to stop a bit longer in Hong Kong - wish we'd thought of it. We are on the 20.25 flight out of heathrow so will probably see you at the check in. Had our jabs today - the typhoid ached a bit but otherwise easy. We are taking 2 types of credit cards. The £1200 extra spending money will probably be $500 cash and $1000 in travellers cheques. Haven't used Traveller's Checks in years but will be safer i think. Looking over the schedule again, may need to book a week on the beach somewhere quiet to recover! We will take swimming towels for the HK hotel but not bath towels. I have a feeling that the hotels will be of better quality than I thought having checked up on the first hotel in Beijing on the internet. Counting down the days now.......

charlie2

Just returned from having the jab - only Hep A in the end as our Typhoid vaccinations were still current. The children were pleased! Counting down the days too. Almost everything sorted now. We collected the visas last week - they were very efficient! We were planning to take the same amount of cash and travellers cheques with credit cards as back up. Travellers cheques can be inconvenient but at least they are safe. We know which hotel we are staying in in HK but we haven't been told the others - have you got a list of them so we can look them up before we set off? We were hoping to find somewhere for a swim before HK (despiote nothing noted in the itinery) so the towels will be handy. We should have space for them. We always try to take a spare bag inside our luggage bags to carry purchases along the way. We will be the ones wearing pink carnations in the departure lounge!

The_Pitchons

Hi. We are the Pitchons.  Just the one daughter aged 12.  All very excited, if a little apprehensive.  We too have decided not to go the malaria tablet route and we too regret not extending our time in Hong Kong.  That was a good idea.

We'll be flying down from Manchester to join you at Heathrow.

charlie2

The web site is still showing 3 spaces left on the trip so I guess with numbers of the Taits, the Pitchons and the Newmans just one more family will be joining us. The maximum is 18 isn't it? I think the group size is about right to get the most out of the trip.  I'm pleased all the children are roughly the same age so far. We are just south of Manchester but have gone for a taxi to Heathrow. Two weeks to go!!!!!

TheTaits

Hi there, I did ask Exodus who will be joining the trip and there is another family with 2 children, a girl aged 12 and a boy aged 14 so a great age range for all. I don't have any hotel details apart from the first hotel in Beijing which is the Dong Fang Hotel. What hotel details do you have for Hong Kong? I've emailed the Customer Operations Team a couple of times and they have been really quick responding. Might be worth an email about the other hotels but i suspect there won't be any pools. Has anyone worked out the length of the flight? I think between 10 and 12 hours but not sure really. Hope they have nice food and some good movies. Can never sleep on planes!

charlie2

DONG FANG FAN DIAN BEIJING 

Add: No. 11 Wan Ming Lu, Xuan Wu District, Pek  Tel: 010-63014466Fax: 010-63044801JINSHANLING HOTEL Add: Scenic area of Jinshanling Great Wall  Tel: 0314-8830222Fax: 0314-8830222NEW FRIENDSHIP HOTEL LUOYANG Add: No.6, Xi Yuan Lu, Jian Xi District, Luoyang  Tel: 0379 64686666 Fax: 0379 64686667 Skytel Hotel Xi'an (Original City Lion Hotel) Add: No.32, Nan Da jie (South Avenue), Xi'an, ChinaTel:  029-87632222Fax: 029-87632211 GARDEN CITY HOTEL CHENGDU Add: No.8 Da Ye Road  Chengdu  Tel: 028 86663388 Fax: 028 86655672 Morning Sun Hostel Yangshuo Add: #4, Cheng Zhong Lu, Yangshuo, Guilin  Tel: 0773 8813899 SALISBURY - YMCA OF HONG KONG Add: 41 Salisbury Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon, HK Tel: 00852  2268 7000   Fax: 00852  2739 9315 

The_Pitchons

Unfortunately Air China seems to have what might be termed variable reviews.  Basically it gets you there. Cheap.

We should have done this earlier so that we could have shared the costs to Heathrow.  We too live just south of Manchester (Timperly). 

The hotels look pretty adequate for what we need.  Just hope it's not too hot and humid!

TheTaits

The YMCA of Hong Kong!!!!!!!

Also - my daughter (15) would love to MSN/Facebook with the other teens on this trip. Any idea of how to do this without posting too much personal info on the forum?

charlie2

If the children want to facebook or MSN each other if you text your email address or facebook details to 07952824962 my children will contact you (via MSN or facebook) This is an old number I no longer use - I will switch it on until the end of this week. My children will only make contact if your surname is indicated in the facebook / email details. This is about the safest way I can think of to avoid putting christian names etc on the forum.

TheTaits

That's great. My daughter is texting tonight so hopefully they can hook up before we meet.

charlie2

Contact has been made! I will leave the phone on over the weekend should anyone else want to join in. We collected our tickets yesterday with final details of collection arrangements, the name of our guide for the trip etc - have you all already had this? Getting very close now!

TheTaits

We had ours sent electronically - no ticket just a number to check in with. So excited now!

TheTaits

Has anyone been checking the weather? Looks like the forecast for Beijing is wet, wet, wet! Don't forget the brolly.........

charlie2

Looks like warm rain though! Currency and travellers cheques collected yesterday. Am I right in thinking we arrive in Beijing around 2.30 Sunday afternoon?

TheTaits

1.40 the documents say - should be optimum heat and humidity to get us settled in straight away. Can't believe how much luggage we have...so much for travelling light! See you at the airport.

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 1 844 227 9087