Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Walking Cuba depart 29th Nov 2009

Sat, 09/19/2009 - 23:20

Hello - think I'm the first on this topic, so is anyone else in the cafe yet who's booked for Cuba?

cheers

Karen

Anonymous
Tue, 10/13/2009 - 17:13

Hi Karen, I'm bound for Cuba as well, and very much looking forward to a great experience.  When I booked a couple of weeks ago there was only one place left, so I guess that means there will be sixteen of us.  I've visited Latin America a few times but never before been to Cuba.  It looks like the trip will give a good balance between trekking and interesting places to visit.  On my previous trips with Exodus I have never failed to have a great time.  Look forward to meeting you on the trip.

Brian

Anonymous
Tue, 10/13/2009 - 20:57

Hello,  We're 2 of the 16 for Cuba. Busy practising the walking and the mojitos. First time with Exodus but have been with Explore, Walks Worldwide and The Adventure Co for previous trips. In between we're campervanners with bikes on the back. looking forward to meeting everyone

Maureen H

Anonymous
Fri, 10/16/2009 - 21:18

Hi, I'm also on the Camino De Cuba. I've been on similar trips before but this will be the first time with Exodus. I've always wanted to visit Cuba but have just never got round to it. Thought now would be a good time before it changes too much. Looking forward to meeting you all soon.

Paul.

Anonymous
Tue, 11/17/2009 - 15:32

Hi, I've just returned from the Camino de Cuba trip and had a great time. If you want to impress Alejandro, the Exodus Leader, then take a bottle of Angostura Bitters. It is one of the ingredients in a Mojito but most places in Cuba don't have it; they still taste nice though. Ale says he has looked for it in a lot of countries without success. It is one of the quirks of Cuba that not having an ingrediant doesn't stop restaurants/bars from advertising it on their menus, they just say it isn't available (and often hasn't been for several years, hope springs eternal!).

I'm sure you'll all have good time (and sore legs aftering descending from Pico Turquino). Rachel

Anonymous
Tue, 11/17/2009 - 16:45

Hi Rachel, thanks for taking the trouble with your message.  It's always reassuring to hear from someone who has had a successful trip. Your info will be very useful.

Brian

Anonymous
Sat, 11/21/2009 - 21:16

Hi to those that are going on this trip.  Looking forward to it and hoping it will not be as wet as some have said. 

It will be tough trying out those Mojitos :-)

Anonymous
Sun, 11/22/2009 - 13:54

Hi Rachel,

How cold was it on Pico Turquino? I thinking number of fleeces?

Don't tell Maureen I asked!

George.

George

Sun, 11/22/2009 - 21:37

George

It was hot at the peak, several of the guys in our group took their tops off rather than put extra layers on.  It was cold at the Aguada de Joaquin so a fleece is recommended, also I think it will be colder when you reach the peak in Dec.

I also recommend you take a water proof bag for your sleeping bag & fleece to be put in whilst on the ascent/descent of Pico Turquino, its the only luggage that will be carried up the mountain by porters. 

Maria

Anonymous
Mon, 11/23/2009 - 09:02

Hi Maria, Thanks for info and also the tip on waterproof bags. A wet sleeping bag is no fun.

Geor

Anonymous
Tue, 11/24/2009 - 12:38

Hi, a few more suggestions if anyone is interested. If you had any trekking gear you no longer used or were planning to upgrade then Cuba is good place to leave it where it will continue to be useful to someone. I left my 15 year old sleeping bag (still in excellent condition but bulky) and Maria left her walking boots. Others on our trip gave our Cuban guide, Manuel, a day pack, walking poles and metal water bottle - these things are impossible to buy in Cuba. You will have a different Cuban guide to us as there are 200 working for the local company.

I'd recommend earplugs if you are a light sleeper for the 2 nights in Sierra Maestra, on the way to Pico Turquino, as the bunk houses have corrugated metal roofs which rattle loudly in the wind.

I'm really envious of you all going out there on Sunday, Rachel

You recently looked at