Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

kili - shira route, first timers!

Anonymous
Fri, 05/29/2009 - 11:52

If there is anyone going on the 22.1.10 trip my friend and I from London would like to hear from you!

Any recommendations re specific kit bits would be appreciated!

thanks

Jonathan & Adam

Anonymous
Tue, 10/13/2009 - 18:41

I did this route in August and would agree with all the above except for the poles. Never been an advocate of them in this country, bought a pair specially for the trek (blacks own, buy 1 get 1 free!), never even tried them out here and didn't use them til the afternoon walk on Day 3, was indifferent to them until summit night then used them all the way up, they helped me get into a rhythm. But the best use of them was coming down the  scree after summitting, thats where they came into their own! Never used them again after that and even left them at the hotel cos couldn't fit them in my bag for the plane. But for that 24hrs they were worth every penny.

One more thing, make sure you take lots of pictures everyday, I missed two days and regret it now.

You'll have a great time, its well worth the cold, the dirt, the toilet situation etc. etc!!

Fri, 10/30/2009 - 08:52

Hi there,

I have just booked this trip and really looking forward to it.

As for gear recommendations:

sleeping bag is important because if it is anything like everest base camp trip then it can get to -12° or colder inside the tent (someone had a watch thermometer and kept it outside the sleeping bag).
Will also be taking an inner sleeping bag liner as they are lightweight and they can add almost a season to a bag.

Wet wipes are great.

I will be using 3 layers of gloves for the final ascent. 

Poles is a personal preference, I will be using them from day 1 through to the end.

I better start buying some layers as I normally hike in shorts and t-shirt :-)

backpack_doug 

Anonymous
Tue, 11/03/2009 - 10:09

marvellous - thanks!

well there is only 1 space left on our trip now, so it should be a good one!!

Jonathan

Wed, 01/13/2010 - 08:18

Hi all,

Is anyone not on the group flight and spending the night before the tour at Kia Lodge?

If so, and want to meet up let me know.

Else see you all when the group flight gets into Kili airport.

backpack_doug 

You recently looked at