Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Jordan anyone?

Anonymous
Fri, 01/25/2008 - 22:40

Is anyone going to Jordan on 29th March?  Has anyone been before and can tell me what it's like?  I've never travelled to the Middle East before, so any help/info/advice much appreciated. Thanks

Thu, 02/14/2008 - 16:40

Wear sunscreen!

Anonymous
Fri, 02/15/2008 - 14:54

I'll pack plenty!!

Mon, 02/18/2008 - 12:55

...seriously though, we've trekked in Egypt and Morroco before, and whilst you can wear shorts some of the time when in the desert, be prepared to cover up with long pants when close to populated areas. Convertibles are popular with most people. T shirts with sleeves to the elbow are generally OK. Women should be prepared to cover all their arms all the way. Bring a thermal top for sleeping in, because it can get mighty cold at night, and pack some wet wipes, as showers are very rare things. PS Insight Guides publish a good book on Jordan, with lots of info on culture and history, and all you need to know on Wadi Rum & Petra. See you on the trip.

Anonymous
Mon, 02/18/2008 - 19:56

..,.for long sleeved tops, thermals and wet wipes! Thanks for the tips.  See you at the end of March.  I really must get organised....

Anonymous
Fri, 02/22/2008 - 14:08

Long sleeved tops are always good as you can push / roll the sleeves up. If you haven't got thermals then a pair of fleecey trackie bottoms is just as good for bumming around in Wadi Rum at night. Otehr things worth carrying are cheap anti-bacterial/alcohol hand gel, 99p from Superdrug. Just make sure it's in your hold luggage when flying! Also as a woman it's always worth carrying a scarf around so you can cover your head as and when needed. I carried a bandana with me which was used at various times as a scarf for keeping my neck warm, on my head to keep the sun off, and as a mask when in Wadi Rum to stop myself from breathing in the sand being blown all over the place.

Anonymous
Sat, 03/01/2008 - 20:10

Thanks for this.  I've bought the anti-bacterial handgel (a mere 45p from Asda!), and am in search of a bandana - which is a great tip thankyou.  I'm in the process of throwing things in the vague direction of my rucksack!

Thanks again

Jackie 

Mon, 03/03/2008 - 10:08

Most kit shops sell a product called "Buff" which can be used as a headscarf, hat, neck protector etc. They do a range with a high SPF, which should be useful if the sun is shining. Check out Millets/Blacks/Cotswold. Packing already? What's wrong with the day before the trip??

Anonymous
Fri, 03/07/2008 - 17:17

...I'll pack rubbish!  Thought I'd be organised - for a change.  It makes work bearable if I can stare at the pile of packing, knowing I'm off soon(ish)!  Starting to get itchy feet now....

Jackie

Anonymous
Tue, 03/11/2008 - 11:39

Hello everyone.  It looks like I will be joining 7 others in the Wadi Rum and Petra trek later this month but not knowing any of you, I wondered whether we should all try to meet up at Heathrow for a pre flight drink or a bite to eat.  I am not at all familiar with the airport, so if someone can make a suggestion as to where to meet up , I would be very greatful.

I look forward to meeting everyone and very much look forward to the trip.

Richard

Anonymous
Sat, 03/15/2008 - 12:16

Hi Richard

Sounds like a good plan to me!  Sadly I don't know Heathrow airport either.  I'm arriving about 1pm to park up, deposit my bag, and chill out with a drink.  If anyone knows a noteable coffee shop/bar we can find easily in terminal 3 departure lounge then we could meet up there?  I've got long red hair - so I'm usually easily spottable!

Jackie

Anonymous
Mon, 03/17/2008 - 20:04

Yes - it does sound like a good idea.

From memory, I think there is an O'Neill's bar in Terminal 3 which should be easy to find? Perhaps see you there?

I'm connecting from Terminal 5  - no idea how that will go two days after it opens!

Lisa

Anonymous
Tue, 03/18/2008 - 11:32

Hi Jackie and Lisa

Thanks for responding to my earlier message.

O'Neills bar sounds good to me.  My National Express coach arrives very early into Heathrow (prior to 11am) so I will float around until we can check in.  I have an Exodus holdall from a previous trip with them, so please don't be frightened to approach me if you see me wandering around aimlessly.

I look forward to meeting you and others on the 29th.  Meanwhile I am off to the Travel Agents to get my Jordanian Dinars

Richard

Tue, 03/18/2008 - 15:37

Hello guys. Ann (my better half) and I will be arriving at Heathrow by train, probably around 12.00-13.00, and we're quite happy to play "Spot the Exodus Traveller" with you in the departure lounge as well. This is a fascinating game, and gives you a chance to pass some time if you are one of the unfortunate souls who have to travel via Heathrow. The airport, if you've never been through it before, is..............an experience. We'll look for the red hair and Exodus bags. You can look for a couple who have just travelled across London on the underground.

Anonymous
Fri, 03/21/2008 - 12:35

...we're gonna melt!  I might up the ole suncream factor somewhat!  Good news about shorts though.  Now to find a pair that fit.....

Jackie

Anonymous
Sun, 03/23/2008 - 17:51

...we may be on different trips.  I'm on AXW (the week in Jordan).  If that's a different trip I'll still be in O'Neills at 1pm ish though, suitably harassed having fought with the M25!

Jackie

Tue, 03/25/2008 - 08:54

...and we're on TXR, the Petra & Wadi Rum trek. I guess we're all on the same flight, 16.25 from Heathrow 3-probably a bigger flight/hotel discount for Exodus if we all go together. You also get the chance for some diving/snorkelling in the Red Sea you lucky AXW people. Was there back in '05 after a trip in the Sinai. Get an underwater camera if you can, the coral and wildlife under the surface are beautiful.

Anonymous
Tue, 03/25/2008 - 16:06

Jackie,

I read your recent message and am sorry you will not be on our trip.  In common with Steve and his partner, I am on the TXR trip and, with only a few days to go now, am very much looking forward to it.  I chose the trip because I like a good walk and need to shift some weight put on over Christmas.  Still I am sure you are in for a wonderful time and am sure we can all enjoy a drink or two at the airport.

I have just collected my Dinars - got 130 of them for Just over £106.  All my gear is ready but I will leave the packing until Friday evening.

See you all Saturday,

Richard

Anonymous
Thu, 03/27/2008 - 17:33

I need to shed all the Easter eggs I've happily munched my way through!  Like Steve suggests, I guess its more cost effective to have us all on the same flight.  Sorry I won't be with you (although I am looking forward to a float in the Sea!) but I'm definitely up for that drink on Saturday at the airport.  I have a pile of stuff thrown in a pile ready for packing.  Just hope it's all useful stuff and I haven't forgotten anything!!

See you on Sat.  Jackie

Fri, 03/28/2008 - 09:23

Never mind, you get to see some other things we'll be missing, while we get to make sandcastles! Just be thankful that we're not flying BA from Terminal 5. I guess Lisa will be having a sleepless night before setting off, as she has to connect via T5! We'll track you guys down somewhere in the departure lounge.

Anonymous
Fri, 03/28/2008 - 13:31

Only 24 hours to go and the chaos of Heathrow - I can't wait.

I will be the bald headed geezer standing at O'Neills bar with a pint of bitter in his hand.

See you all tomorrow, 

Richard 

Anonymous
Fri, 03/28/2008 - 17:45

...and I'll be the red-haired woman with a glass of wine in her hand, stood next to you!  For those passing through Terminal 5 I hope they've sorted out the chaos.  Apparently it's quicker if you don't take any luggage with you! Guess they forgot that people tend to take luggage on holiday.  D'Oh! ; )

Jackie

Anonymous
Tue, 02/19/2008 - 18:40

I also am going on the March 29th tour of Jordan.  However, I will be arriving in Amman a few days before the tour starts (March 26).  Does anyone have advice on inexpensive but clean hotels in either Amman or Madaba?

My Lufthansa flight arrives in Amman at  2 AM ( I know it is an ungodly hour!!)  Any suggestions on transport into town at that hour?

Does anyone on this tour have further travel plans in the region after the tour?  My plans are to go on to Israel and the Greek Islands.

Peter

Victoria, BC, Canada

Wed, 02/20/2008 - 10:27

The Insight Guide mentioned in the other string has some info on hotels/transport with telephone numbers and websites, but Lonely Planet or Rough Guides are the best for cheapies.

Anonymous
Fri, 02/22/2008 - 13:58

I got back five days ago from the Week in Jordan trip. My advice to you would be head for Madaba rather than Amman, far nicer town and both are the same distance from the Airport. Also I don't know exactly which tour you are on, but mine started in Madaba. There's plenty to do their but check your trip dossier so you don't double up on things.

By the end of March the tempratures will have risen. Wondering around Petra on the 12th Feb it was long trousers, shirt, fleece and windproof jacket. It was only ever warm if you were in direct sunlight, you get in the shade and or wind and you knew it. Jordan has just had one of it's coldest Winters, it dropped to -12C according to Khaled our guide at one point; and we still saw snow lying around on the edge of the desert highway, quite surreal.

You will also need warm clothing for the time in Wadi Rum, again it will be warmer when you get there, but driving along at 30 to 40 km/h in the back of open topped landcruisers and you do feel the cold wind rushing past you.

Another useful thing is that if you are on the group tourist visa you do not need to pay the 20 Dinars exit tax. As you are doing your own entry, remember to keep the 20D set aside. Tuck it into your passport on your first night is what I would do.

It's a fantastic country, you'll have a wonderful time ... enshala!!! 

Anonymous
Fri, 02/22/2008 - 19:33

Thanks for the comments/advice.

Regards.

Anonymous
Fri, 02/22/2008 - 19:39

I plan on visiting the eastern desert castles during my visit to Jordan before or after my Exodus tour in late March- early April.  Does anyone have any comments/advice on these destinations, and whether to use tours/taxis, etc?  Should it be done in more than one day?  If so comments on accommodation?

Regards,

Canuck

Anonymous
Mon, 03/10/2008 - 09:35

Wondered what essentials I should be taking with me but see that someone else has asked the question already. Thanks.

Have been walking in Morocco in March before and got away with shorts but wasn't sure about Jordan.

Lisa

Anonymous
Mon, 03/10/2008 - 09:39

Yes - I'm a technophobe! Pressed "post comment" twice!

Lisa

Anonymous
Fri, 03/28/2008 - 09:46

Yes - was in a panic about T5 but have just booked a BMI flight into Terminal 1 to avoid the pain. I travel through Heathrow most weeks and don't want to take any chances! I don't want to miss the trek as I've also overdone the Easter eggs! 

So will see you all tomorrow.

Lisa

Fri, 03/28/2008 - 11:13

Good move!! BBC say it's still a nightmare at T5.

Mon, 04/07/2008 - 13:43

Hello Wadi Rum trekkers. It's a lot colder here. Hope you all got home without too many hassles. Thanks for the great company and all the laughs on a great trip. Downloaded some great photos, and posted a few on the TXR website for you to look at.

Ann & Steve

Anonymous
Tue, 04/08/2008 - 17:43

Hope you all had a great time in Jordan and didn't frazzle! What a fantastic country (even from a cool air-conditioned coach! ; )). We spent a couple of days in the Wadi Rum desert and it was just fabulous. Lovely to meet you all, and sorry we didn't all end up on the same trip. Did any of you manage to sample the Petra beer (8%)?? I'm now busy sorting through the brochure deciding where to go next....! When I've worked out how to load up my photos I'll add some to the website. Will look out for yours.

Jackie

Wed, 04/09/2008 - 08:19

To load photos, go to your "My Exodus" page, click on "My Photos" and create an album. You can then upload photos (I think it's a total of about 30Mb per album) to the new album.

Glad you enjoyed your trip, and hope you had lots of WOW moments like we did! The problem with having a good holiday is always looking for the next one, and of course, paying for it. Happy travelling!

You recently looked at