In the past two years, the number of bike sales has sky-rocketed across the UK as more of you took up cycling as part of your daily exercise. So, why not continue your hobby further afield and set yourself a new goal for next year? We’ve just released our new departure dates for 2023, so start planning ahead and book your spot before your favourite trips fill up.
These off-the-beaten-track cycling tours in Europe are the perfect solution for satisfying your thirst for adventure travel. Not only can you explore at a faster pace, meaning you can visit more locations, but you can also soak up the incredible scenery along the way. Discover lesser-known sights and immerse yourself in cultural experiences as you set off on a bike ride of a lifetime.
Cycling the Dalmatian Coast
On this guided tour, you’ll follow some of the most scenic, coastal cycling routes among the Croatian islands of Hvar and Korcula on the Dalmatian Coast, stopping at medieval towns and fishing villages to learn about local culture and history.
- Guided tour of the UNESCO old town of Dubrovnik
- Visit Gothic palaces and cathedrals of Hvar
- Optional bike tour of Mljet National Park
Best time to go – March, April or October when the temperatures are a little cooler
Cycle the Balkans
A wonderful melting pot of unspoilt countryside, ancient towns and modern cities, the Balkans offers incredible cycling routes among UNESCO World Heritage Sites, imposing mountains and a dramatic coastline.
- A tour of the UNESCO town of Ohrid with a trip to Lake Ohrid
- Cycle route through Mavrovo National Park
- Cycle route through the Sharri Mountain Range
- City tour of Kosovo’s cultural capital, Prizren
- Views of the Albania Alps
- Cycle the Bay of Kotor
Best time to go – July and August when the days are long, warm, and mostly dry.
Porto to Lisbon Atlantic Ride
Teetering on the brink of the Atlantic, Portugal is a picturesque coastal destination with plenty of exciting cycling opportunities. This trip guides you through UNESCO sites, nature reserves, and cultural villages and towns, where you’ll learn about Portuguese traditions.
- Wine tasting in the UNESCO World Heritage City of Porto
- Cycle through Sao Jacinto Nature Reserve
- Free time in Figuera Da Foz
- Visit Nazaré fishing town
- Sightseeing in the Portuguese capital of Lisbon
Best time to go – Spring or autumn to avoid the heatwaves between June and September
Tuscany Cycling Siena & Chianti
Explore the natural beauty of Tuscany on two wheels and be swept into its romantic ambience as you cycle among vineyards, olive groves, ancient cities and colourful towns that cling to the hillsides. This cycling tour takes you to the heart of Italy and lets you soak up the pretty scenery as well as the laid-back culture.
- Sightseeing in the romantic cities of Florence and Siena
- Tuscan food and wine tasting in Chianti
- Visit the ancient UNESCO town of San Gimignano
- Cycling routes in the Chianti Hills
Best time to go – Either April to June or September to October when temperatures are cooler.
Holland Bike & Sail – Tulip Tour
Synonymous with windmills, tulips and the famous artist Van Gogh, Holland is a land of intrigue and natural beauty. As well as cycling among the flower-strewn countryside, you’ll sail to lively harbours and walk around pretty gardens and farm villages.
- Visit Keukenhof Gardens
- Trip to the traditional Dutch village of Zaanse Schans
- Cycling routes through tulip fields
- Explore Alkmaar Old Town
- Tour of a local brewery
- Free time in the “Herring City”
Best time to go – From the end of March until mid-May during tulip season
Cycle the Baltics
From Tallin to Vilnius, this cycling tour of the Baltics steers you to some of the more well-known spots as well as taking you on the roads less travelled to uncover the hidden gems of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. You’ll explore ancient cities, coastal routes and national parks, where you can uncover the history of the Baltics and embrace its vibrant culture.
- Sightseeing in Tallinn and Riga
- Cycle routes through Lahemaa National Park
- Visit Sangaste Castle
- Swimming at Jurmala beach
- Tour of Palanga Botanical Gardens and Manor House
- Cycle to Juodkrante sculpture park
- Visit Trakai Castle
Best time to go – Between June and August when temperatures range from 20-30ºC, the days are long and there is less chance of rain.
If this has inspired you to start planning your next cycling adventure, take a look at our broad range of cycling trips in Europe and beyond by clicking here.