Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

The Summiteers - 22nd sept 2010 Kili Rongai Route

Anonymous
Sun, 10/03/2010 - 08:45

Looks like i'm the first one here - first i would like to say - What an amazing trip!!!. met some fantastic people from all walks of life & have made new friends. Great Camaraderie & had many laughs. I could not fault the trip at all, the local staff (from Guides to porters were all very accommodating & curteous), the cook produced some amazing fare & we all ate like kings.

a very successful trip as well.

just want to say thanks guys for a truly memorable experience & i hope we stay in contact

Brian

My latest posts

Anonymous
Mon, 10/04/2010 - 12:17

Hi Brian,

I am off to do the climb later this month! Am so excited and it was lovely to read your message.

Well done you!

Anonymous
Mon, 10/04/2010 - 13:25

Good luck Jan - all i would say is take your time - it's not a race - if you suffer from altitude then refrain from taking Diamox - some of my travel companions had some side effects - drink plenty & if you do suffer then try with Aspirin - i was lucky enough to not need anything - also take some Jelly Babies for summit day!! all the best, Brian

Anonymous
Fri, 10/08/2010 - 09:17

HI Brian

I am also due to climb next week - I was wondering if you have any top tips? Did you you get your visa at the airport (and if so - was this fairly pain free)- or buy this pre trip. Plus I was wondering how much money you spent on the trip and whether you used dollars or changed money up at the airport.

Thanks in advance for any help

Elliott

Anonymous
Mon, 10/11/2010 - 13:54

Hi Elliott
it takes about 30 mins to queue for a visa @ Kili airport - 50 USD - i took about 250 USD with me which was enough - just need $100 for tipping ceremony & for drinks/souvenirs.
I would avoid using diamox - i luckily did not use anything but i've heard so many stories from other people using it - when i was on summit day i just whiled away the time by having various tunes going through my head - make sure you layer up.
Upper body - Tech T , 2 technical fleeces & gore-tex jacket.
Lower body - leg underlayers, cargo trousers or similar & wind proof / mountain trousers as 3rd layer.
good quality hiking boots - (technical mountain boots are not needed) Gaiters are also a good idea & 2 pairs of socks - walking poles are definitely advisable as well & take about 2-3 litres of water for summit day as well as some sugary snacks - (jelly babies are effective)
1 last thing - if you can get to Gilman's point by about 6am then you will be rewarded with the most amazing sunrise - Good luck!!

You recently looked at