Extend your stay in Costa Rica with a few nights of rest and relaxation at Tamarindo on the Pacific Coast. Once a sleepy fishing village, Tamarindo was discovered by surfers in the late 1980s and has steadily grown a reputation as one of the best beach destinations in Costa Rica. Located in the Guanacaste province, known for good weather and predictable sunshine, Tamarindo has a great mix of facilities and retains an authentic laid-back atmosphere. The town has accommodation catering to all budgets, from high-end boutique hotels to smaller, comfortable and characterful properties. The big draw is a long expanse of beach, with a curved bay backed by palm trees, cafes and restaurants. The waves are strong and loved by surfers, with swimmers mostly staying to the shallow surf breaking on the shore.
Facing west, the sunsets in Tamarindo are dramatic. There are plenty of excursions that can be organised locally if you want to discover the area. Or simply sit back and soak up the laid-back beach life, which is a real contrast from the other areas you will have visited in Costa Rica.
We have handpicked a selection of properties in Tamarindo and selected transport options to suit all budgets and group sizes – all that’s left for you to decide is how long you want to go for, and we’ll do the rest. Please speak to your sales representative for up-to-date pricings.
- Capitan Suizo Hotel: This beachfront boutique hotel is set in a privileged location to the south of the bay, with rooms surrounded by tropical gardens. Thoughtfully designed accommodation with excellent dining options, wonderful service and a friendly team waiting to welcome you. Just away from the main town, it has a lovely pool area and private loungers on the beach.
- Cala Luna Boutique Hotel: This luxurious hotel is nestled in native trees and lush vegetation, just a short walk from the beach of Playa Langosta, which is around the headland from the main beach in Tamarindo. Consistently rated as one of the top 10 hotels in Costa Rica by Trip Advisor. Elegant accommodation and surroundings with every need catered for, this is pure R&R.
- Tamarindo Diria Hotel: Right in the middle of the beach, this is one of the original hotels in Tamarindo and has the most spectacular palm tree-lined view from its pool/dining areas. It is split into different areas, with the majority of rooms away from the beachfront.
- Wyndham Esplendor Hotel: One of the best infinity pools we’ve seen with extensive views across Tamarindo Bay, thanks to its hillside location above Tamarindo. Elegant rooms and facilities, but a fair walk from the beach and Tamarindo town – there is a free shuttle transfer provided at set times.
- Arco Iris Hotel: a great option for value, with comfortable rooms surrounded by lush tropical gardens. A tranquil location set back from the street, around 1,640ft (500m) to the beach.
- Pasatiempo Hotel: A small, intimate property with real character and comfortable rooms. We think Pasatiempo is a hidden gem and it is our preferred choice if you are looking for great value and don’t mind being a five-minute walk to the beach. There are some great restaurants and shops nearby.
How to reach Tamarindo?
There are three options to reach Tamarindo from San José, depending on your budget and how much time you have:
- Shuttle bus: this is the most economical way to reach Tamarindo, particularly for solo travellers. The shuttle bus system is easy, safe and reliable and will drop you directly at your hotel. Shuttles usually pick up from hotels in San José at 7.15am or 2.30pm. From Tamarindo, the departure times back to San José are usually 8am or 2pm. The journey takes approximately four to five hours. You can also leave or return by shuttle directly from the airport – please specify at the time of booking and double check timings with your sales consultant as schedules may change depending on the season.
- Private transfer: If you would prefer to travel in your own vehicle (seating up to six people), or need transfers timed perfectly with your international flights, we recommend a private transfer for the journey. You can either take this as a return or for just one leg of the journey. By private transfer, the journey takes approximately four hours.
- Flight: perfect if you are short of time, you can take an internal flight from San José to Tamarindo Airstrip. In the high season (December to April) there are usually four flights during the day in each direction. Outside of the high season, there are usually two flights in each direction. Flights usually take under one hour. With this service we will also arrange a vehicle transfer between your Tamarindo hotel and the airstrip. Luggage weight and size restrictions apply (30lbs/13.5kg, 45in/114cm).
There is also the option to arrange your return flights from Liberia airport, around 1hr 30min from Tamarindo, with a private transfer to Tamarindo. Please speak to your sales consultant to discuss this option.
We recommend visiting Tamarindo for at least three nights. Please speak to your sales consultant for more details, to check hotel availability or make a reservation. You may need additional hotel nights in San José depending on the end date of your trip and your flight schedule. Also please note that some hotels in Tamarindo are not available in September.