Welcome to The Kingdom in the Sky. This is southern Africa – but not as you know it
Adventure Holidays in Lesotho
Tours in Lesotho
Known as ‘The Kingdom in the Sky’, Lesotho is a little-visited nation with the distinction of being the only country in the world that is entirely 1000m above sea level or more. Its rolling highlands and rugged mountains are visible from just about anywhere in the land. This tiny mountainous kingdom is completely surrounded by its much larger neighbour, South Africa. Large mountain ranges form a distinct border, which gave the Basotho people a strategic advantage in defending their land.
Today, Lesotho has a population of just over two million, and its inhabitants rate themselves as some of the world’s most hospitable people. For Exodus travellers, Lesotho holidays offer an adventure with a difference, in a destination like no other.
Lesotho Adventure Holidays
Highlights of Lesotho trips
1. Traditional Basotho life: This mountainous kingdom has been shielded from outside influence for generations and the Basotho people still live their traditional way of life.
2. Bushmen rock paintings: Ha Baroana in the Maseru district is one of the country’s most well-known rock-art sites – see paintings of leopard, lion and guinea fowl alongside those of bushmen hunting, eating and dancing.
3. Africa’s highest dam: The Katse Dam on the Malibamatso River was built for the Lesotho Highlands Water Project and is the highest dam in Africa.
4. Pony treks: Mountain ridges protrude into towns, and walking with local guides and their ponies to a village is a great way to delve deeper into the unique culture Lesotho has to offer.
5. The Sani Pass: This former mule track is a death-defying, winding road that links KwaZulu-Natal and Lesotho. Standing at 2873m, the views at this altitude are unforgettable. In winter you can see snow and frozen waterfalls, in summer flora and fauna.
The Adventure Begins Here
Get regular inspiration straight to your inbox from Exodus' experts.