kili rongai route and zanzibar

anyone going on the trip departing 6th September??

Caroline_P

Can we can do visas on arrival in tanzania if we're on a British passport?

KILIKEV

Hi Caroline, I believe you can obtain your visa on arrival. The stewardess will ask if anyone needs an application form before we land and you fill it in and hand it to the clerk at the desk. Don't know what that costs or how long it would take if there are loads of people needing one. Exodus will sort it for you but charge about £70-£80. If you apply direct to Tanzanian Embassy it costs less than £40 (that's what I've done) You have to pay cash or cheque direct to their account at a branch of Barclays then send the form with your passport, two photos and a stamped self addressed envelope to the embassy. Forms can be downloaded from tinternet. Sounds long winded but is easy to sort and a lot cheaper. Hope this helps. Cheers. Kev :-)

Tony_P

Hi all,

After putting in an initial appearance here last month I rather vanished and let things pass me by. Finally got my skates on last week  - now all jabbed up, just need to sort out the malaria tablets - thanks for the advice on that. I dropped my passport and visa application off at the consultate in London on Monday and it took all of 2 minutes for the guy to look it over and take my cash - MUCH better than the 2 hours' queue I had for my Russian visa previously. Will collect it tomorrow - they seemed very relaxed - a good representation if all Tanzanians are like that I'd say.

Spent most of the weekend going around the shops at Cov Garden and on ebay liek Caroline - nearly got everything now. On water purification, the nurse who administered my jabs recommended a flask called Aqua Pure - slightly pricey at £35 but apparently you can fill it with swamp water give it a shake leave for 15 min and it cleans out all the muck. Could come in handy...

I'm doing the hi alt training at the gym I mentioned in my earlier post - it is SERIOUSLY hard work and when they reduce the oxygen content you really feel it. Hope it will acclimatise me a bit but as someone else said alititude sickness can hit anyone no matter their fitness/experience.

Getting very excited and looking forward to meeting everyone at LHR - judging by the posts, we have a friendly and sociable group - even if there are still some mystery passengers too!

Tony

JaneN

Hi everyone! Been locked out again for a while so here's a long one in case I don't make it back into the Departure Lounge!! I live in London and will get to Heathrow early as (a)I am completely, insanely paranoid about missing flights and (b) I always eat supper before boarding - can't face that awful airline food!!  Caroline, don't worry as I expect I will be in the visa queue with you at Kili airport! I am trying to find time to drop it in to HC for a visa -but seeming unlikely to find the time at the moment. Whereabout is it? Anyone know? I have been into Tanzania over the landborder before and the visa on arrival was actually pretty quick but I suspect the airport wait maybe longer. Great ebay bargain you got with the tresspass jacket there! I have kept my eyes peeled but have decided to take my old one and layer up underneath after all.  Hi V, I have seen some furry lined windstopper gloves on a website and  think that they might be the way forward. I will look like a clumsy catburglar with my balaclava as well! I have a steri-pen for water which I have never had any problems with - it sunburns the baddies to death with UV light. Only does a litre at a time, but takes sixty seconds and does not taste funny. I suppose we might need to purify water higher up when I guess it will be hard to get a rolling boil going for two minutes?! Just need to make sure I bring a spare battery for altitude. Kev, Well done on the Malerone mate! I hate to tell you this, but as I live in the 'people's republic of Southwark' I also get NHS prescriptions for anti-malarials and free jabs! Guess that means I buy the second round (of non-alcoholic health drinks for trekkers!) at Heathrow.  However, You said 'Tour Rep'? At the airport? you are joking right?! It sounds like something out of package holiday to torremolinos hell! Will we have to wear name badges and be ticked off a list before we even get to Tanzania?! arrrghh!! Hello again Tony! Good to hear from you again. You will be well ahead of the game with all your extra red blood cells from all that altitude training - I am wondering if I might have time to get a few sessions in. Is it helping you and are you feeling the difference when you are doing normal training?  You are SO right that altitude does not respect your fitness level, age or indeed anything else it should - so this does sound like a good idea! Really enjoying hearing everyone's prep, training and shopping news - I hope we hear from the mystery pax soon. I do think that there is one place left as when Allison and I booked there were two and I'm assuming you booked the last one Kev, so maybe someone cancelled?! Anyway, I better get on with some work now before I explode with excitement just thinking about it all!!

LOL Jane

KILIKEV

Hi Tony, welcome back to the land of the adventurers! Just checked out the Aqua Pure site after reading your thread and bought an in-line filter for my Camelbak (£40) The Camelbak holds 3 litres which I hope will be enough for each day on the mountain although I did read that these can freeze up on the last day of the climb! Hope the altitude training pays off...I reckon you'll be up front with the porters and helping set up the tents for the rest of us :-) .....Health drinks at Heathrow.....Mine's a Jack Daniels with Diet Coke and Low Fat Ice please Jane. Is it just me or can anyone else not concentrate on work at the moment? See you soon. Kev :-)

KILIKEV

Hi everyone. Well just over 3 weeks to go and I think it's time for me to start training! So, at 2pm today I'm driving up to Yorkshire for a weekend of fresh air and miles of walking! There will be absolutely no late nights, no alcohol or night clubbing! Hope you all have a great weekend. Will catch up on Monday. Keep on smiling. :-) Kev

AllyJA

Hi All, Hope you all had a good weekend! 

Tony, I had been thinking about doing some altitude training but I don't think I can truly justify the paying that amount (on top of everything else!).   I have therefore decided to change my diet to increase the oxygen in my blood (liver, wheatgrass etc).   Hopefully it will make a difference...

Kev, how was Yorkshire? 

Allison

KILIKEV

Hi everyone, Hi Ally, Yorkshire was great, cottage was lovely, walks weren't too demanding and the weather was mixed (sunshine and showers) Boots are giving me no problems and my walking coat kept me nice and dry although I was constantly removing it for the sunny periods. The weeks are whizzing by now so it's going to be all out training and dieting for the next three weeks. I've decided to get to Heathrow about 4pm cos there's bound to be delays on the way down and I really don't want to miss the plane. Bit worried about the luggage allowance! I seem to have tons of stuff piling up! Gonna look rather silly boarding the plane wearing thermals, shorts, trousers, overtrousers. tee shirt, fleece, down jacket, walking coat, hat, scarf, gloves, 2 pairs of socks and great big walking boots....still, if it keeps the luggage weight down.....!?  Cheers for now. Kev :-)

vbuchanan

oooh how annoying, i was locked out of here! has anyone received their kit bag yet?

V.

KILIKEV

Kitbag! What kitbag? What's that all about?....not more stuff to carry surely! Received final joining instructions but not expecting anything else V. Plus I got mixed up over the rep meeting us at Heathrow, I think it's in Tanzania where that happens not Heathrow. Here's my mobile number 07847 830882 to arrange meeting in departure lounge. How's the training going?  See you soon Kev :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

JaneN

Hi all,

Good to be in again! I, too, have been locked out of the departure lounge for a few days V! I never know when I will be allowed back in - it's all a bit random! You have my sympathy but, strangely, now someone else had been locked out too I feel less persecuted!

My kit bag arrived this morning - which is really exciting! - and it is a fetchingly dull black with white logo and does not go with any of my new gear so I am very glad a porter will be carrying it and not me!! High altitude trekking is SO all about the right colour co-ordination is it not?! Maybe I will pretty in up with some customised ribbons or spangles! Yours should arrive soon Kev, it's what we take on the trek for our non-daypack gear! Glad that your new kit stood up to your walking weekend. Thanks also for the very welcome tour rep news - they bring me out in hives as a species!

Thanks for the HC details Tony - I managed to get the visa and picked it up yesterday from the lovely man behind the counter! SO helpful and chatty!! I have not really got time left for the altitude chamber after all  as I am in Italy next weekend but I am taking Allison's advice on the wheatgrass etc! Feel a bit like a ruminant!

I spoke to a Kenyan friend on saturday who has done our trek - she gave the same dire warnings about summit day cold - and also said prepare to be grumpy for a couple of days! So, no change there!

Is anyone on facebook at all? I'm Jane Nightingale if anyone wants to be friends?! Shall we all call you on departure day Kev and arrange a meet? Does anyone else feel that time is now flying and they are not yet ready - or is it really just me?! I keep getting excited then nervous then back to excited again in quick succession and my spare bed is covered with kit that I can't possibly fit in my bag!! Aaaarggh! 

Anyway, speak soon guys - in just over two weeks in fact if I don't get back into the departure lounge again before the big off! Looking forward to meeting everyone in the flesh,

Jane 

JaneN

Kev, Why have you got three gold stars at the bottom of your messages? How do you get them? Jane

KILIKEV

Hi Jane. Stars are added according to the amount of times you post messages, Im hoping to get a big prize when I reach 4 ha ha! I'm really thrown by this kitbag malarkey. I thought we got that at the hotel in Marangu, put our sleeping bags etc into it, give it to the porters and off we go up the mountain. I think my few remaining brain cells will work out how to re-pack everything though. Sorry V if I've misled you on this issue! I'll make it up to you with an extra health drink at Heathrow! I wish we were going tomorrow cos I'm becoming more useless by the day just thinking about it all. Jane, phone me at Heathrow and guide me to the bar!! Cheers. Kev :-)

JaneN

Oh, that's so not fair! V and I have been locked out and prevented from posting for days! Are you somehow cheating Kev?!

LOL, Jane 

vbuchanan

Hi Jane, had a look for you on facebook, but there seems to be a few others with the same name, so wasnt sure who to poke - am on there (Veronique Buchanan)

JaneN

There's two of you too V!! Are you the mystery profile picture or the lady in the red top? 

Jane

vbuchanan

thats really weird - i'm neither! am in fact sporting my duvet jacket (blue/green). i wonder if i've inadvertntly hidden myself....? what's your picture?

vbuchanan

no, bailing on the half marathon as have bit of a sore back - which is quite a worry at this stage of the game! going to try to ignore it and hope it goes away. am going shopping instead!

the post man just delivered my kit bag - yey!

Jane - just had a look on FB, am quite surprised to see someone else with my name, that's never happened before!! red top girl is the imposter!

right, i need to get a grip and step away from the computer!

JaneN

Hi V, I am underwater scuba diving in my F/B profile picture - by process of elimination I have figured that you must be the mystery lady and have invited you to be my friend!!

Hope you enjoyed the wedding Kev!

Jane

KILIKEV

Hi V, please take care, this close to departure you need to be fully fit, I'm thinking of hibernating for the next 2 weeks for fear of twisting an ankle or being hit by a bus or something equally stupid. Is the sore back from overtraining? Hi Jane, just got back from the wedding, phew! what a long day! Didn't leave the bar til 2.30 this morning! I've never seen so many grown men cry whist trying to do a speech! The bridegroom, the brides father and the two best men all blubbering and sniffling, hardly able to speak...very emotional...that's what marriage does to you LOL Going to finish this cup of tea and go for a cycle ride now.........or should I? mmmmmm :-) Keep smiling. Kev

Tony_P

Just saw that I haven't even merited a single star yet for posting. :-(

Tony_P

Cheers Kev, will do. Reply to posts that is! :-)

JaneN

Hi Guys!  Glad to hear all is well. Don't worry about the Yeti Liz, that will just be me after a week with no hairdryer or makeup!

Tony, your altitude training sounds amazing - I reckon you will be able go on ahead to put the kettle on and get out the biccies ready for the mortals!

Kev, glad to hear wedding went well and you managed to keep a dry eye in the house and preserve some male pride!

I am off to a wedding in Italy this weekend - flying out on friday - I think I will get some altitude training by just standing around in my ridiculously high heels, but am slightly worried about ankle breakage after a glass of two of the fizz - maybe I should bring along some stabilisers for later in the evening!!

V. nice to see you on F/B - you clearly do lots of cool endurance stuff - is that a biathlon those photographs are from? Do you run and swim in the same event? I really do know my place already with all you it folks - tail-end charlie up the mountain I think! Still, you always need a rear gunner!

Happy to meet after check-in (airside or landside) for food or drink but I have O/C/D around airport checkins and have to ge there really early or I start to panic!! 

When will I get another star I wonder? All this posting and only one!

Jane   

KILIKEV

Hi Jane, O/C/D...Can't be Obsessive Cleaning Disorder...not round a check in desk. Give us a clue! By the way, what is the position behind the rear gunner? Cos that is definitely where I'm going to be! All you athletes out there will leave me back in Marangu! Have a good weekend in Italy and don't fall off those heels, I'm not wearing mine til I get to Zanzibar! (joke) Bye :-)

Tony_P

Hi all,

Thanks Jane - had another sess this morning when I discovered something very important - apparently you're supposed to breathe IN through the nose and OUT through the mouth! All my gasping for air sounds very hard core but not the right way apparently.  So I guess that means everything I've done so far has been completely clueless and I will be taking the calls of Pole Pole very literally, waaaay at the back behind you all.

OCD: nice to hear there is someone else in the group who feels the need to arrange and rearrange their packing 2 weeks before they leave, and who also has to switch the lights on and off 37 times before entering a room. I feel safe I will be with a kindred spirit.

A couple of questions for you:

- assume there will be no phone reception up the mountain - just in case we make it to the top and feel the urge to send a pic message back home as proof?

- electricity supply - I've heard mixed messages about the shape of plugs in Tanzania - some say they use UK plugs, others 2 prongs, others even more prongs - all need a surge protector. I'm thinking of  bringing a universal adaptor. Anyone know?

- entertainment - reading the Arrivals pages, people have said that people bring playing cards, books or else you go straight to sleep after dinner as you're so tired. Any thoughts?

Have fun in Italy at the wedding Jane. I'm over to Dublin for the weekend to play some golf with my cousins. Nice to have the bank hol just before we go.

Tony 

JaneN

Hi Kev, I have an innate and irrational fear of missing flights and uncontrollably get to airports ridiculously early to check-in for no apparent reason! I think it may be an illness and I am also concerned that this has spread now to include continuous packing and unpacking of my kitbag - as if some how it will be come bigger by the process - lol!!

Oh, when will I get my next star? - this is rigged!!

Jane 

JaneN

Hi Tony,

Yep lights on and off and then back to the house three times to check the gas is off!! I understand completely! I actually had a mobile phone reception in Tanzania and in Zanzibar when I was there a few years ago on my old dual band phone - but whether this would work up Kili I could not say. Electricity was a mixed bag and they seemed to just fit whatever plug they could find!! In the hotel in Zanzibar last time they had three pins and two pins plugs in the same room and a few power cuts. Take  a universal adaptor is my advice!!

Breathing: More complicated than it looks eh?

LOL! Jane

Finally I have two stars!!! Yeh!

Tony_P

Thanks Jane,

and a big congrats on your 2 stars. I am waiting in hope for my first one!

Def sounds like a kindred spirit with OCD - I pity our two roommates with the light switches.

V useful about the elec and phone - I suspected as much about the phone so I reckon those MMS will wait until we are back down the mountain.

Yes, who thought there was a trick to breathing?!!! ;-)

Tony 

KILIKEV

Oh yes!! 4 stars people! Yey! Whoopee! Dunnit! Where's my prize? Hope it's good Ha Ha  Happy Days! :-) :-) :-) Tony, ask for a refund! They should have told you that at the gym. I find it desperately hard to breathe in enough air through my nose just sitting down, never mind doing strenuous exercise! Congratulations Jane! 2 Stars. Get the Champagne out! lol

Tony_P

4 stars for Kev, 2 stars for Jane and still I'm waiting for my first one. And I always focussed on quality rather than quantity!!!

Yes def think I will ask for a refund. Not least because I do not look remotely like a skinny person (or even slim for that matter) which I thought would be a by-product of this!!

Tony_P

I have a star, I have a star, I am a star !!!!!! :-)

vbuchanan

only 1 star? there's no justice!!!!

KILIKEV

Crikey! It's a meteor shower! The stars are coming thick and fast now lol. We'll be wearing tee shirts next with stars printed on like the footballers when they've won a world cup. Mind you we'd probably look like we work at MacDonalds! I'm getting really paranoid now.....whenever anyone near me coughs or sneezes I dive for cover! Don't want to be ill this close to the trip. :-) Might start wearing a mask.......

JaneN

I really am not managing to do any work today - I think have holiday fever which should be an officially recognised illness! Tony, I think I found you on facebook and invited you to be my friend. Kev, bit worried about the mask - will there be a cape and tights to go with it? LOL

Jane

AllyJA

Nice to see you guys have had a productive morning ;-)

KILIKEV

Hi Jane, of course there'll be a cape and tights and I'm going to call myself.....

"4 STAR MAN"

Do we take US Dollars on this trip? Cheers. Kev :-)

vbuchanan

about the cash....my friend (who's done this before) said to take dollars, but if you buy stuff from local shops etc, try to pay in local currency otherwise it can be a rip off - you can use cash machines, but they don't have electricity all the time, so worth keeping that in mind.

do we need mosquito nets for the hotel in zanzibar??

i also get worried when people start nseezing and coughing around me, just my luck i would get actual swine flu the day before we go!

KILIKEV

Thanks V. I'll take plenty dollars. Nets? Not more stuff to pack! Don't know on that one but I would have thought the hotel would supply them, best buy one just in case. Worse still...what if you get swine flu on the plane....2 days to show up and you're part way up kili....we're all doooooomed!!! :-) Cheers "4 STAR MAN"

JaneN

I think that we can change up some shillings when we arrive at the airport in Tanzania from what I have read. I hadn't thought about bringing my mossie net - well remembered V!

Tell me Four Star Man - what are your superpowers?

I am flying out to Italy tomorrow and intend to demand an isolation seat just in case!! Not paranoid - just careful!

Jane 

KILIKEV

Hi Jane, my super powers are for me to know and for you to find out!!! lol! Just keeping up with all these posts is a super power in itself :-) Have you tried wing walking? That's where they strap you to the top of the aeroplane....sure won't catch any bugs up there...except maybe in your teeth. lol Cheers Kev :-)

KILIKEV

Don't worry one star, one of my most well known powers is the speed at which I can make a twenty pound note disappear within 6 feet of a bar!! Although I do have a strange aversion to buying water from one, seems silly when you can get it straight from a tap for free! lol  Have a great weekend all! Kev :-)

pphelan

Hi Kilikev

Thank you for your good wishes. (Patrick Kili 19th Sept) Have to say that I've found your thread very entertaining.So thank you also for that! Looks like all you guys are going to have a ball, and so you should, whether or not you all make it to Uhuru Peak, which I think is more important. Just one thing that crossed my mind while reading your packing issues. You've probably thought about this but just in case you haven't - You can put your empty exodus kit bag (folds really flat) in your 70 litre back pack. You can then wear this on your back while at the same time wearing your 35 litre day pack on your front. This set up is quite comfortable and most importantly gives you both hands free to hold your beer!! You should have no problem with this (35L) as hand luggage on the plane as long you dont fill it too much.

Would love to hear how you all get on, so hopefully you'll post something in the Arrivals Lounge when you're back and recovered. I plan to.

Best of luck to everyone

Patrick

vbuchanan

what day do we actually start walking, is it Monday??

KILIKEV

Hi V. Arrive Monday, start walking Tuesday (GULP!!) :-) I now know the smell of fear!!

Kev

JaneN

Oh my goodness just a few days to go - how excited is everyone?! I am glad to report my safe return from Italy last night and that I have discovered the the super-power of two star girl  - the abilty to dance in three inch heels after a whole bottle of Prosecco without falling out of my dress!! Who needs to clear tall buildings with a single bound anyway?!

Jane

Tony_P

Caio Jane!!! Welcome back from Italia.

I think I will need some tips from for how a mere 1 star mortal can try to replicate your new powers. I'll be doing my office panto this year (don't ask!) and this time I will be the dame!!!!!! And there's a dance scene!!

Hope everyone survived the weekend without any new aches/niggles and counting down the last few days? I have decided I am going to start to think about how I will go about packing.....

KILIKEV

Yesterday I read Jane's message and it left me with a smile on my face and a vision of her in my mind dancing in high heels wearing a nice dress...lovely.  But today...Tony pleeeeease! I now have a vision of you in a dress and high heels! Somebody pass the sick bag. lol  :-) Anyway, too late to turn back now, getting a lot of nervous energy building up and running around like a headless chicken making sure I've thought of everything for Kili. Anyone for a beach holiday next year? Toothbrush and shorts...job done! lol. Setting off at 12 noon so should be at Heathrow by 4pm. Really looking forward to meeting you all! Smile Smile Smile :-)  Tony...don't wear the dress on Sunday!! Cheers, Kev

Tony_P

Kev,

For you I will not wear the dress and heels on Sunday. But I will save the sarong for the beach in Zanzibar...

:-)

JaneN

Hi Tony - I think it's great you are in touch with your feminine side. I hope you are accompanying your sarong with some fetching accessories!

Hi Kev - I am aiming for fourish at the airport so will give you a bell when I get there.

Hi everybody else, really looking forward to meeting everyone! I had my typhoid shot yesterday so am now all jabbed up and ready to go! I have also packed and unpacked three times and going in for the fourth attempt this afternoon. Does anyone else have a constantly nagging feeling at the back of their mind that they have forgotten something......?! 

Jane

KILIKEV

Well Tony if you're wearing the sarong I'm taking my "Mankini" lol

Jane. 3 sleeps to go...you mean you are actually sleeping!!!? I forgot my name this morning, does that count? :-)

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments

My Forum Activity

You have not posted anything in the forum yet.

Please create a topic or reply to a topic to see your forum activity.

Latest Forum Topics

Call us on 1 844 227 9087