Kili - Rongai Route - September 19th

Make 2018 Your Year of Adventure. Save $150 when you Book Now - Learn More >

Hi

Who elase is going?

pphelan

My daughter Aisling and myself

Nikki_Cooper

Hi I am going too with my friend Emma. Look forward to meeting you.

pphelan

Hi

I'm a 55 yr old Irishman, Aisling is 22 and living in Madrid at the moment.

Have either of you any experience of hiking at altitude?

Patrick

Franky

Hi

You are departing on the 19th? I am going too!! :)

Nikki_Cooper

Hi Franky

Yes we are departing on the 19th but as Emma and I only booked this a couple of weeks we couldn't get on the same flights as the rest of the group so we will see you at Kili airport on the Sunday morning. Are you going with anybody else?

pphelan

Hi Everybody

Haven't much experience at altitude but enough to know that I'm a slow acclimatisor. Everybody will suffer from altitude sickness it just depend on the severity -  if it's a mild to severe headache to being seriously sick. Some people can still manage to summit while throwing up along the way. I'm quite a slow walker so I'm hoping the slow pace "pole pole" will suit me.

Have never been higher than 4,700m so I really don't know. Aisling has no experience at altitude, we did Mulhacen together a couple of years ago but as that's only 3,482m it doesn't really count.

Patrick 

Franky

Hi Nikki

Yes I am travellin gon my lonesome!! :(  Have wanted to do this climb for years, and couldn't get anyone to commit to doing it with me, so rather than waiting 2 more years, just decided to go for it!

Nikki_Cooper

I was in exactly the same position, everybody was keen but nobody would commit, then Emma found out I was doing it and luckily said she could make it this year! Do you live in London? If so, we should meet up before the trip.

ndavis

Hello to all those departing on Sept 18th 2009 for the Kili climb via Rongai route.

My brother, Simon, and I are looking forward to this trip and sharing blistering headaches with you all at some point during the climb. :)

pphelan

Hi All

Site seems very quiet lately although it looks like the we have a full group of 12. We've got 8 names from this site, so there's another 4 out there. Weather here in Ireland is absolutely dreadful so I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Has everybody got all their stuff organised, gear, vaccinations, visas?? Have just got myself a North Face Nuptse Polar vest, so at least my summit (if I make it ) insulation is taken care of. I decided on the vest as I can wear it either on the inside or the outside of my outer shell. I hired a sleeping mat with Exodus and was a bit shocked when it cost £25. I had no choice as I just don't want to be lugging one all the way to Africa and back again. Would love to hear from you all as to how youre preparations are going. It's important, as not having it right could ruin your trip.

Regards Patrick

Franky

Hey

I live in Guildford, Surrey, But am frequently in London as my boyfriend lives there. 

I have most of my kit apart from sleeping bag and mat, which I think  I will hire. I got a brand new Rab Summit jacket on Ebay for £70 - it is gorgeously warm!!!

Franky

Where did you go to get your travel visas from?

ndavis

Hello again,

Where did you get the info regarding a weight limit for the amount of stuff you cram into the kitbags?

Nick 

pphelan

Hi

It mentions it in the trip notes under "Extra Expenses and Spending Money".  I don't think it's an Exodus thing but from the Porters Union. You can pay an extra $65 /person for extra but interestingly they don't say how much extra? In any case we will all feel guilty watching these guys lugging all our crap (including tents, food, toilets) up to Kibo Hut. 

Regards Patrick

Franky

Hi

I have spoken to Exodus and they suggested getting the Visa at the airport as the easiest way. It costs $50.

Angelsden

Hi folks. I think I am one of the missing members of the group. I say "think so" as I am flying out on Sep 18th for the climb that starts on Sun 20th. When I booked the trip there was a bit of confusion as there seemed to be two Rongai trips on successive days and my booking had to be altered. I hope I am on this one then I can kill two birds with one stone by practising my Spanish on the way up with Aisling! Just for the record I have never spent a night in a tent nevermind slogged at altitude for the privilege of sleeping under canvas! My wife reckons I have become too used to 5* luxury so I chose the trip as in interesting way of proving my wife wrong....

pphelan

Yes

You are on the correct one as we start up the Rongai route on Sun 20th Sept also. Aisling will be happy practicing  spanish as she's quite fluent by now. She actually arrives home tomorrow and has absolutely nothing prepared for kili, as in vaccin-- ,gear et all. Hopefully we can get a few Munroe's in before leaving on the 10th. I'll be happy to help you prove the wife wrong. I don't think I have anything to prove anymore!

A few things that I've become aware of that may or not be of help to everybody.

Sleeping bags. The 4/5 season down filled variety are seriously expensive, but at -17 or more are not really useable anywhere else without melting it's inhabitant. Some synthethetic ones (eg Mountain Hardware) are good down to -7 and if you also get a good liner will give an extra -7 or -8. This should be fine (-14, -15) for Kili and you can always leave a few thermals on if needed. You save a lot of money and still have a sleeping bag that's useable in lots of places other than in the mountains. Quite a few people appear to hire them from Exodus and haven't read any complaints so-----!!

Hydration Systems. I personally feel are an essential piece of kit. It's so important to drink the required 4 litres. It's such a pain in the ass (for me anyway) trying to grab bottles, opening/closing and replacing them while on the move. A lot has been said about them freezing on summit night, but in most cases it's the actual tubes that freeze, but if you get into the habbit of blowing back the water in the tube back into the bladder it won't happen. An outer insulation tube cover helps also. 

Regards to all

Patrick

Angelsden

Hi folks

I just wanted to check what people think about the need to take thermal underwear? Are there any particular brands that are best or people would recommend? I hate the thought of freezing on the way up but I also don't want to pay close on £100 for something I may just wear for one day!

Regards, Gary

pphelan

Slight Contradiction

It would appear in my previous note that I described Icebreaker as synthetic, it is of course made from "100% PURE NEW ZEALAND WOOL". Regardless it does work. I wore a top on three strenuous hikes and continuously for an entire week! and guess what -- it didn't smell, which is incedible as I weigh around 100kgs and produce serious volumes of perspiration getting up Mount Brandon. It's also sooo comfortable next to the skin. Looking forward to meeting everybody and hoping our entire group make it to UHURU PEAK.

Patrick

KILIKEV

Hi Guys. Not on this particular trip but just wanted to wish you all the best! I depart on the 6th Sept, return on the 18th Cheers. Kev. :-)

AislingP

Hi Everyone,

Really looking forward to the trip and meeting you all (and speaking Spanish)!

Hope preparations are going okay. I've only been training for the last two weeks so hoefully i'll be okay. See ye soon,

Aisling

DaveB1

Hello to eveyone taking this trip , Im really looking forward to the climb and meeting you all.

Dave

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments

My Forum Activity

You have not posted anything in the forum yet.

Please create a topic or reply to a topic to see your forum activity.

Call us on 1 844 227 9087