Kilimanjaro Climb Rongai Route

Hi,

I'm booked in for the "singles" Rongai Route climb up Kilimanjaro. Would be nice to hear from any other people on the same trip.

Cheers,

Matt 

lrees

Hi Matt, I am coming too. Very over-excited and a bit scared with a whole new world of inflatable camping mats and head torches.

Linda 

Matt Neville

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply, it's nice to hear from other people who are taking up the challenge. Since I've told my family they all think I am mad, especially since the recent publicity with Red Nose Climb. I'm really looking forward to it, I'm pretty fit doing half marathons, but I think this won't count for too much. I've got to go out with a shopping list soon and start buying the kit, that's going to be an education! Have you done anything similar before?

Matt

Beckysmith

Hey Guys :) I am also coming too! and like you both, am really looking forward to it. I've started looking around for stuff for the trip - but finding it all a bit overwhelming with everything thats out there! I figure as long as I get my walking boot nice and early (plenty of time to wear them in then!) it should be fine...hmmmm. I have never done anything like this before either...but am definately up for the challenge!

Nice to hear from other people also going on this trip!

Becky:)

lrees

Hi Becky & Matt - it's good to talk on here as I think I may be boring my friends and family silly with my Kili talk!! I've never done anything like this before either. Used to be quite fit and have done a couple of half marathons in the past, but that was some 4 years ago! I know I can follow a training schedule, but have a long way to go yet...

Everyone keeps saying 'Don't worry Linda, if Chris Moyles can do it, you can', not sure what they are implying!

Agree Becky - boots first is the best option, am getting mine this week as ones I have are not leather. Think leather plus Gortex is prob the way to go? All a little mystifying at the mo.

Linda

Beckysmith

I think mystifying is definitely a good word to describe it! And I agree -  I also think leather plus gortex boots are the way to go!

Just wandering if either of you are going to the "special Kilimanjaro evening"? I am....because I am feeling slightly clueless and I thought this may help!

Becky :)

lrees

The one on 15th April? I have booked on that too. Just need to double check my work diary on Monday but 99% sure I can make it. We can be clueless together!

Linda

Matt Neville

Hi Linda & Becky,

I'd love to come down for the 15th, but I think I am away in Hong Kong with work - although there is a chance I could just be back before that date. It would be nice to meet up with you both, at least there are 3 of us at the moment! I've managed to convince my brother that climbing up Snowdon would be a good idea, trouble is he is a serious runner - so he wants to run up it :-(  I've just joined the gym in an attempt to get a bit more all over body fitness, I keep telling everyone at work that running is good for you, but it's given me a bad back and can't walk very well at the moment. Needless to say they all now laugh at me whilst they walk out for a smoke!

lrees

I have checked and can make it. Would be good if you could make it Matt - perhaps book a place and let them know if you don't need it?

Got my new boots today as planned, leather & Gortex North Face, very nice - very expensive too!!

Your back pain doesn't sound good :-(

Beckysmith

Great minds think alike Linda! I now also own an expensive pair of leather and Gortex boots:) Need to start wearing them in now!Matt- i have done Snowdon before....i did it with a bunch of friends....we thought we would do the horseshoe track/the ridge – very scary – we ended up scambling along a very very very high and steep ridge! Lucky for us we bumped into a group of people who actually knew what they were doing – otherwise it would be a lot more scary and dangerous! If you do the miners track or pigs track i reckon you could run up it! Hehe! What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger – you know how the old saying goes!

Hope your back gets better soon! I have been cycling and swimming lots as well as running – just to try and reduce the amount of stress going through those joints!

lrees

I am ashamed to say I went to uni in North Wales and never went up Snowdon - how bad is that?!?

Went to spinning last night, can hardly move now :-(

As you say tho, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or at least your legs stronger!

lrees

Becky - if you are still coming to the talk on 15th do you want to meet outside the hotel?

Hope everyone's training and kit buying is going well!

Matt Neville

Hi both,

Just to let you know that I'm now flying back from Hong Kong on Easter Monday so will be ok to come to the 15th evening in London. Will be really nice to meet with you both to chat about the trip. I've been to a chinese doctor today in HK to try and help sort my back, he spent 2 hours walking on my back and sticking needles in me, I am sure it was for my own good, but at the time I was thinking otherwise. Anyway look forward to catching up with you both. :-)

Beckysmith

Hello! It would be great to meet outside the hotel! Can I just check with you guys - my booking confirmation says that im departing on the 23rd october instead of 24th. I just assumed this was the same trip as you guys, as the one i booked on was specifically for lone travellers as Matt mentioned in the very first post! i just realised, so now im a little confused!

I have seriously overdosed on hotcross buns this week, but i figured its all alright because of the training i have been doing! although i think i have over trained a bit....i feel like i have broken my left quad (not that you can break a muscle!)

Hope the needles worked Matt. I think that they say with dry needling you don't start feeling the benefits until a day or so later?? sounds painful all the same.

See you both on wednesday!

by the way, do we need to get injections for malaria does anyone know? and any advice for preparing for altitude sickness.....without spending time in one of those high altitude tents of course!

lrees

Hi all - sounds like we have a plan for 15th then, will wait outside for you guys. Matt - hope you are feeling better after seeing the doc, it's great you'll be back for the slideshow/talk. Becky - sounds like you need a sports massage?! My quads are my worst enemy, even without exercising if someone leans on my thigh in the wrong place it always kills. Re malaria injections, i don't know, i have only taken the tablets before now. There is a drug you can get for altitude sickness but there is a difference of opinion on whether it works and also you may not be able to get your GP to prescribe it - we can find out more next week! And yes this is def the right trip, i guess it's listed as 24th Oct as the start of the trip proper (some people not flying from London) but in fact flight number 1 leaves late on 23rd.

See you 15th! Linda

Beckysmith

Cool... thanks Linda, that makes sense now!

Looking forward to the slide show evening....its all quite exciting!

What time would you like to meet outside the hotel for? It starts at 7pm, so would you like to meet outside for 6.45pm??

see you both soon!

Matt Neville

Hi Both,

I'll be coming down by Train on Wednesday, prob to Kings Cross. Do either of you know the area and the best tube station to get to the hotel from? Was going to stop over but it seems that the hotels are using Easter as a good reason to charge excess amounts! so will head back up north after the evening hopefully. All that pain with the chinese doctor seems to of worked, despite the fact I can barely keep my eyes open (landed at 4:45am today) my back is much better - a time to celebrate with a dominos, well it's the only place open today!

lrees

Cool, 6.45 is fine for me. Matt - it's very near Earls Court tube so Piccadilly line straight from Kings Cross, allow 25 min tops. I'll look out for the limping people ;-)

lrees

Matt - your email bounced :-(

Matt Neville

Hi L&B,

Hope you both had a good weekend, just like to say it was really nice meeting with you both last week, I think we'll all get along nicely!

The Email address was a work one so odd that it rejected, anyway, other email address is: [email protected] cheers, Matt

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 1 844 227 9087