Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

Altitude sickness

Sat, 08/30/2008 - 12:35

Going  to Tibet  in October.

Would anyone recommend taking appropriate medication - or is the ascent such that it's ok without?

I'd be glad of any feedback.

Thanks. Barbara

Fri, 09/05/2008 - 12:41

Our itineraries are designed to enable everyone to acclimatise to these altitudes, but you should be aware that it is still possible for you to be affected. Although rare, a number of medical conditions can also reduce your body’s ability to acclimatise, and thus will affect your performance at altitude and make you more susceptible to AMS. If you are worried about any pre-existing condition (e.g. heart problems), or unsure of your physical ability, we recommend that you seek medical advice prior to booking.

Advice varies, but the consensus on how to combat altitude sickness seems to be to drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluid (at least 2 litres per day) and rest for the first few hours when you reach altitude. When hiking, do not hurry – take your time, enjoy the scenery and give your body a chance to catch up. If you are breathing hard, you are probably ascending too quickly.

Mon, 09/29/2008 - 16:08

I went to Tibet (though not this trip) with Exodus a couple of years ago and although we all suffered to some extent from Altitute Sickness it does pass.  The very best advice is follow what your Exodus guide tells you.  Ours was fab-looked after us all, constantly watched us for any signs of problems and was well equipped with oxygen and even a pac chamber. Also the trip was designed to acclimatise us gently. Some people took Diamox (not licensed for Altitude Sickness but proven to be a help).  You will need a precription from your Doctor for this.  Have a great time.  It is a fantastic place and still my top desitination dispite many trips before and since.

Tue, 09/30/2008 - 13:07

Hi Guys. Myself and partner have done a few trips with Exodus at altitude now (Toubkal, Kili, Gokyo & Everest and the High Inca Trail) and we reached the tops every time with no problems. Our regime is as follows; start taking one aspirin a day and one gingko biloba (from Holland & Barrett) a day about a month before and during the trip. The aspirin is meant to slightly thin the blood, and the gingko does whatever herbs do, but we had no ill effects apart from a slight loss of appetite on Kili! In addition, drink lots of water and go very gently, especially the first few days, and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

Wed, 10/01/2008 - 10:01

The asprin is also good for preventing DVT-I always take the low dosage tablets for at least a week before I fly long haul

Sun, 11/02/2008 - 20:32

I also travelled to Tibet 2 years ago & prior to that, Peru. I had no issues with the altitude in Tibet. After struggling somewhat in Peru until I'd aclimatised, I was recommended Gingko, so took it 1 week prior to arrival in Tibet & throughout the trip & was fine.

You recently looked at