Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

The Zambezi Valley 14 June 2013

Anonymous
Sat, 11/24/2012 - 11:56

HiI see there's a post for the following departure but would be interested to know of others on this departure - both are guaranteed already. A friend has done this trip 5 or 6 years ago and recommended it.

I am going out on direct BA flight to Lusaka a couple of days earlier and staying at Eureka camp - is anyone else?

Heather

Mon, 11/26/2012 - 13:23

Hi! And yes, that's exactly what I'm doing; saw all the reviews talking about how awful the indirect flight was... will be nice to have a day to chill out after the long flight before getting in the canoes, though the early departure at the end of the trip will be rather abrupt!

Anonymous
Tue, 11/27/2012 - 08:34

Hi  Agree about the awful early departure but I too decided it was worth it after reading the reviews about the group flights. We can share a taxi to the airport. If you're staying at Eureka camp beforehand too if we manage to meet up we could do same on way out. Are you the person who was first to book - I was second and they guaranteed departure once I'd booked or are there at least 3 of us now?

Heather

Tue, 11/27/2012 - 14:08

I booked just after it turned Guaranteed, so there must be at least 3 going now. Already have my morning transfer back to the airport booked (arranged it all through Trailfinders and thought I might as well get that sorted out now!) but no doubt we can arrange for you to share! Didn't book one for the arrival just cos there's less urgency - and yes, I'll be at Eureka, so we should definitely try to meet up and share a cab, should make things a bit cheaper.

I am so much looking forward to this holiday, it's ridiculous. Six months seems far too long to wait!

Susi 

Anonymous
Thu, 02/07/2013 - 07:50

Hi Katherine

Look forward to your blog and meeting you at Eureka. My first time to Africa (apart from Morocco) so any tips appreciated. Have a great time.

Heather

Mon, 02/18/2013 - 00:38

Hi all, I am looking forward to meeting you at the Eureka Camp. I will arrive late of the 13th. I am flying KLM. I believe I was #4 when I booked in January. On this wintery day I am looking forward to some warm sunshine, the canoes and incredible wildlife.

Katharine, I will follow your blog. Good luck in Lusaka.   

Anonymous
Mon, 02/18/2013 - 13:14

Hi guys

Thanks for the messages.  I am now in Lusaka and enjoying it alot.  It's warmer than the UK although currently it's tipping with rain - that's why the trip is in June, after the rainy season :)  It's also very chilled compared with West Africa which is a mega bonus!

The only tip I have for now is bring a fleece.  It gets surprisingly chilly in the evenings when the sun goes down. 

Katharine

Anonymous
Thu, 02/21/2013 - 21:19

Hi Katharine

Have tried to read your blog but it won't play ball - will try another night. Have thought I might bring my down jacket for nights - it makes a brilliant pillow even if not actually needed for wearing at night.

Heather

Anonymous
Fri, 02/22/2013 - 08:18

Perhaps you can leave stuff at Eureka camp while we go canoeing. Still no luck with blog - it loads but I can't scroll down. May be my computer so will try at work.

Tue, 03/12/2013 - 15:35

Looks like it's filling up, only 3 places left now! And Katherine, thanks so much for linking your blog, it's been really interesting to follow so far. From some of the other reviews, I get the impression that you can leave stuff on the bus with the guides during the actual canoe trip - but maybe that's just an extra small bag or two, if you've been living there a while you'll likely have more than that!

Anonymous
Wed, 03/13/2013 - 05:56

Thanks Ildrinn

I've extended my stay at the garden cottage in Lusaka so the luggae storage issue has gone - yay!  I've arranged with the guides to meet you all at the Southern Sun in Lusaka which is much easier :)  Glad the trip is filling up.

Glad you like the blog, I try and update it as often as I can.

Katharine

Anonymous
Fri, 03/15/2013 - 12:53

Katharine

Finally had time to try your blog again and it works fine - but there is so much to catch up on! Really enjoy what I've read so far. Still 3 places left on our trip but expect they'll fill. Counting down the weeks now and really looking forward to it. Hints on any "must dos" the couple of days I'm in Lusaka before trip will be welcome although some time chilling out at Eureka camp will be nice.

Heather

Thu, 03/28/2013 - 08:35

Have you guys done much canoeing before? I think the last time I tried it I was about 13, so trying to get in a bit of practice on the rowing machine at the tiny office gym. Only two and a half months left now to get to crocodile-dodging fitness!

Anonymous
Thu, 03/28/2013 - 10:39

I kayak and did a 10 day canoe expedition down Yukon last year. Don't worry you'll soon pick up what you need to know and last time we had people like you who'd only done it as a kid and one who'd never been in a canoe.

Heather

Fri, 05/10/2013 - 13:14

Not sure if these are still the local partners that Exodus use (they were mentioned in that canoe magazine article linked on the main page), but the website for River Horse Safaris is great, loads of photos of the sort of campsites and scenery we can expect, as well as slightly more info on the sorts of time breakfast happens, paddling distance per day (etc) - http://www.riverhorsesafaris.com/ - I imagine most of the local canoe safari companies have similar procedures, so interesting even if they aren't the exact guys we'll be using.

Anonymous
Mon, 05/13/2013 - 13:35

Susi

Pics are good aren't they - particularly like the one with the curious hippos! One month to go - can't wait to get there. There are 3 spaces left according to website so reckon there are 9 of us now. Think we decided we were on same flight so may be able to share transport to Eureka camp. I will be using my red Explore kit bag - the handles are longer than the Exodus ones so I can wear it on my back like a rucksack if need be. It will have an Exodus label for life baggage label though.

Heather

Mon, 05/13/2013 - 14:49

Excellent, cheers! Not sure which luggage I'll have - will either be a smallish black Eurohike backpack or a bigger Footprint Adventures kitbag (depending on whether I can fit everything into the smaller bag or not), but as hand luggage I'll almost certainly have a battered'n'grubby cream canvas rucksack with many pockets. Hopefully we'll spot each other (maybe even when queueing for visas or changing money at the airport!) and can share a cab to Eureka Camp. Can hardly believe there's less than a month to go now...

Susi

Tue, 05/14/2013 - 20:54

Ooh we're down to one place left now! Trip's almost full!

Anonymous
Tue, 05/28/2013 - 12:27

Susi

Guess what - the group is now flying BA so no need to fly out 2 days earlier on BA to make sure we got there to meet up with group Kenyan Airways flight and not risk getting delayed when they weren't! Still we'll get a couple of days extra at Eureks Camp. Getting really excited now!

Heather

Tue, 05/28/2013 - 13:57

Oh, that's good news! - it would have been almost as annoying if the land part of the trip was delayed at all due to late group flights, even if we weren't stuck at the airport ourselves.

It's funny, I've spent so long thinking of this trip as a far-distant thing in the future, seems really odd that it's just around the corner now.  Very exciting!

Anonymous
Thu, 05/30/2013 - 19:29

Hi Susi

I have asked for and got transfer back to airport on departure with the group. Maybe you can get same and cancel the one you've booked.

Heather

Fri, 05/31/2013 - 11:31

Thanks very much! I've just done the same thing.

You recently looked at