Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Who else is going? Inca Trail & Amazon Rainforest........departing 27 March 2010

Anonymous
Thu, 01/07/2010 - 17:45

Hi

Have just booked myself on this wonderful trip to Peru.   I'm a solo traveller and would love to hear from anyone else going on this trip.

I'm so excited!!!

Regards

Maxine

Anonymous
Tue, 01/12/2010 - 16:46

Hi Maxine

I'm also going on the 27th. Really looking forward to it - the reviews for this trip look great. It's somewhere I've always wanted to visit. Can't wait.....

Regards

Caroline

Anonymous
Thu, 01/14/2010 - 13:26

Hi Caroline

Thanks for responding to my post.....I am impressed that Exodus have this forum to enable fellow travellers to establish contact before the trip.  I've never done anything as brave as this before - I'm 48 years old and I guess I'm having a 'Shirley Valentine' moment in my life!!  I've already invested in a good quality pair of hiking boots and I intend to practice hill walking every weekend until we depart!   So far there are 9 of us booked on this trip and we are all solo travellers!  Have you done this sort of thing before?

Regards

Maxine

Anonymous
Tue, 01/19/2010 - 13:42

Hi,

I'm going too!

I tried to book in December but there were only two others who had registered any interest and I was told it might not go ahead. But then in the first week of Jan it was suddenly guaranteed. So a big thanks to everyone who has booked as I really wanted to do this and later dates would have been difficult for me!

Regards

John

Anonymous
Thu, 01/21/2010 - 14:04

Hi......thanks for responding John.  I started looking into this trip just after Christmas but forced myself to wait for a further couple of weeks until I'd given it full and proper consideration before booking!  

Are you a regular 'trekker' or is this kind of trip a new experience for you also?  What part of the UK are you located in?

Regards

Maxine

Anonymous
Fri, 01/22/2010 - 20:15

Hi

I wouldn't say I'm an experienced trekker, i've done bits and pieces as part of "regular" holidays but this is the first in depth trip of this kind I have booked.

I'm from near Birmingham so I'll be making my own way to Lima from there rather than with the group flights.

John :)

Anonymous
Fri, 01/29/2010 - 18:51

Hi both,

I'm new to this type of thing, although I've done a fair amount of trekking / walking in the UK. 

I am on the group flights (although I purchased them separately) - looking forward to meeting everyone in 8 weeks............

Caroline

Anonymous
Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:29

Hello

I am also going on this trip and really looking forward to it. I have never done anything like this before. I am booked onto the group flight but i also booked them separatly. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Regards

Lisa

Anonymous
Thu, 02/04/2010 - 18:10

Good to see there's a few of us on this thread now!   I hope you're all putting in some training for the Inca Trail!!!   I had my final vaccinations this morning and the practice nurse was telling me that the trail is tough.....she did it when she was 59!  She advised practising on rough terrain and steep steps.

Another bit of good advice I received today from another person who has been to Peru...regarding the gifts for the porters and the families on Lake Titicaca.  They like clothing from the UK that has an English logo or something on it, particularly football logos.  Also the kids love boiled sweets - best to take ones that are individually wrapped ie. Werthers.   Pens and stuff like that are also appreciated.

Regards

Maxine

Anonymous
Sun, 02/07/2010 - 16:19

Hi

I read some of the traveller reviews on here for past trips, they have some invaluable tips so they are well worth a look. e.g. take a "head" torch as there is no lighting on some parts of the trip.

As for training, I've been in the gym a lot but I think I'll take it outside now the weathers starting to ease up a bit!!

7 weeks and counting :)

John

Anonymous
Sun, 02/07/2010 - 19:03

Hiya all

I wanted to go on this trip but unfortunatedly is already closed to further bookings.   I am now considering going on the next trip on the 10th of April although is not a solo departure.

I read that some of you booked the flights yourselves and not through exodus.  Can you tell me where you booked them.  I have looked at some websites but the prices are not much different to what exodus charges for the flights.

Also, can you tell me where you had you vacciones done?  GP?  which ones did you do and how much did they cost you?

Many thanks and enjoy the trip!

Vicky 

Anonymous
Sun, 02/07/2010 - 20:42

Hi Vicky

Sorry to hear you're not coming with us.....but you may end up with better weather by going in mid-April.  I booked my flights through Exodus so I can't answer that one.....but I can tell you that I got all my vaccinations free at my GP (apart from Yellow Fever which cost £55).   On one day I had one jab in my left arm (consisting of tetanus, polio and diptheria) and Yellow Fever in my right.  Then a week later I went back for one more jab for Typhoid/Hep A.   I got my malaria tablets over the counter at a cost of just under £15.

Regards

Maxine

Anonymous
Mon, 02/08/2010 - 11:45

Hi Vicky,

I booked my flights direct with Continental from Birmingham Airport via Newark for £760 and it's only a 20min drive from my house so I don't have to get up at a ridiculous time in the morning (or stop over the previous night) as I would have with the group flights. The only problem is the timing of the return leg, I've got an 11 hour layover. Oh well, I'll just have to spend the day in Manhatten :)

John

Anonymous
Mon, 02/08/2010 - 12:58

Thanks Maxine and John for your replies.  I called my surgery and they couldn't tell me on the phone what vaccines they do.  I have to make an appointment with the nurse to find out.  As for the flights I have looked at booking them myself but the difference in price with Exodus is not great and I am thinking that I would prefer to book the flights with them just in case the trip gets rearranged by any mad reason!  Hope not.  Anyway, they are holding this for me till tomorrow and I am just figuring out all expenses and convincing myself that I can do it before I fully commit to it and book it.

Hope you all have a lot of fun and that it does not rain! 

Many thanks for your help.

Vicky

Anonymous
Sun, 03/21/2010 - 13:37

Hi everyone,

I too am going on this trip, not long now! Just wondered if anyone else is going on the Iberia flights from Heathrow? I get in to Lima airport at 18.50, a bit before the group flight, so wondered if there'd be anyone else arriving around then too? Very excited about this trip, haven't done anything like it before either!

Caroline

Anonymous
Sun, 03/21/2010 - 18:10

Hi Caroline.....sorry I'm on the Continential Airlines flight so I'll have to see you in Lima!  Regards Maxine

Anonymous
Tue, 03/23/2010 - 20:23

Hi all,

I'm on the continental flight from heathrow. Does anyone fancy meeting up after check in. Not sure how easy that will be....any ideas?

Caroline W

Anonymous
Tue, 03/23/2010 - 21:25

Hi Caroline - I'd be happy to meet up with you after check-in.....trouble is I have no idea where to suggest as a meeting point!  Does anyone know if there is a Costa Coffee or something like that?  Failing that perhaps we could both call the Exodus offices and ask them to pass on our respective phone numbers to each other?   Regards, Maxine :)

Anonymous
Wed, 03/24/2010 - 12:06

Sorry to butt in here, but I read this blog and saw someone suggesting taking boiled sweets for the children.  PLEASE DON'T!!!  We were there 3 years ago and were warned about this in advance.

The children there, esp the ones on the islands in Titicaca have wonderful white teeth as a result of their diet which does not have much refined sugar in it.  Sweets, and them developing a taste for them, ruins their teeth.

Take them pens and pencils - especially RED ones - the kids love them!!  But please don't mess with their dentition!

Sorry if I sound like a kill-joy!

Boyd

Anonymous
Wed, 03/24/2010 - 13:44

Hello

I am also travelling from Heathrow with Continental and would be keen to meet up after check in. Unfortunatly i have no idea where to meet up either. Let me know if you do contact Exodus and they have any ideas where we could meet or if they give out numbers. Looking forward to it, not long now.

Lisa

Anonymous
Wed, 03/24/2010 - 17:18

Firstly @Caroline - Exodus have passed me your mobile number so I will give you a call soon! :)

Secondly @Lisa - I have checked the Heathrow Airport website and I can confirm that there are numerous Costa Coffee shops.   The one I think we should meet at after check-in is on the 1st Floor (Departures Area) at Terminal 4 - there is also one on the ground floor so make sure you're at aforementioned.    I won't be wearing a pink carnation or anything but I can tell you that I have just above shoulder-length greying hair with black/green glasses - I will be wearing a maroon/dark purple fleece and I will have a green rucksack!

Finally @Boyd - thanks for that valuable info.  I was going to buy a load of boiled sweets on Friday so now I'll spend it on some colouring pens instead.  :)

Regards - Maxine 

Anonymous
Wed, 03/24/2010 - 20:03

Hi Maxine

Brilliant will meet u in Costa coffee. I will prob be wearing brown trousers, with a white fleece and i have long blonde hair. See u sat

Lisa

You recently looked at