Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Wall of China 25 August 2011

Anonymous
Mon, 10/18/2010 - 22:37

hi, I know its early days yet, but has anyone booked onto this tour apart from me?

Anonymous
Sun, 01/02/2011 - 14:22

Hi there,

I'm doing the TCW tour in August as well. I don't know if it's full but they have gotten the minimum number of people required to make it run, so we can't be the only ones!

Anonymous
Tue, 01/04/2011 - 10:29

Hi Noelle 

is it a minimum of 5 to guarantee the trip?  So that's me, you, my son Craig, and at least 2 others.  Are you travelling alone or with someone?  Seems a bit closer now we're into 2011.  I need to hide the chocs, throw out the mince pies and get myself into the gym instead of just looking at the front door as I walk past it!!  Some of the photos I've seen of the Wall look a little daunting but fabulous all the same.

Ann

Anonymous
Fri, 04/22/2011 - 22:05

Hi Ann,

I'm travelling solo--but the walk is now almost full apparently, so there should be a fair number of us.  How lovely that you're going with your son. I don't think you need to be superfit necessarily (I guess I'd be unwilling to throw out perfectly good chocolates anyway...)

Noelle 

Anonymous
Mon, 04/25/2011 - 21:16

Hi Noelle

wow, the calendar has counted down an awful since we booked.  about 16 weeks to go now?!  have you travelled alone before?  I've never really done any holiday without my husband arranging it all, and my dad before that, so its a fairly new thing for me.  I'm looking forward to meeting new people though.  We done a few hilly walks up to now, I needed to anyway I was putting the pounds on.  Did you see An Idiot Abroad?  Hilarious but I know now to pack Wotsits and Tracker bars, with the toilet rolls!!!!!!!

Ann

Anonymous
Wed, 05/18/2011 - 17:39

Hi Ann and Noelle, I'm walking the walk with my husband Colin but we've only recently booked so there must be yet more...   So, I have to pack Wotsits, bars and toilet rolls - anything else?  >B

Anonymous
Wed, 05/18/2011 - 22:15

I had a look on some feedback threads from people who've done this trip before and it seems to be a common tip from them all to take toilet rolls or wet toilet, and handwipes or the antibacterial gel stuff.  It seems our ideas of hygiene differ from over there! Also, lemsip tablets just in case the change of climate brings on a cold.  I'm taking a few emergency rations of food as I am little wary of eating stuff that still has heads, legs, fur or feathers, although I'm sure an Idiot Abroad over-sensationalised it and it seems like we'll be well catered for.    I also heard it can go chilly at night, and their beds aren't as soft, so either some fleecy pj's or a sleeping bag if you can fit either in.  I hope i don't sound too pampered, its just stuff we take for granted.   Having said that, I can't wait, 14 weeks tomorrow I think!   Have you done a trip like this before Barb?   Ann :-)

Anonymous
Thu, 05/19/2011 - 14:15

I'll have to check out the feedback, thanks.  No, I haven't done anything similar but Colin does quite a bit of walking now he is retired.  I've always wanted to see the GW of China and what better way to see it than to walk it?  I decided better do it while I still can! How about you, have you done trips before? 

Is it going to be such a different climate?  We heard it will be hot but maybe wet?  I don't eat meat at all so perhaps emergency rations, though fish is OK, but the thought of heads, legs, fur or feathers sounds horrendous.   I shall miss my nice soft bed!! I'm looking forward to the trip - with some trepidation - what have I let myself in for! >B

Anonymous
Sun, 05/22/2011 - 08:58

No, this is totally new to me too.  My last holiday was an Eastern Europe cruise last year, and the year before before that it was honeymoon - another cruise - so total luxury and pampering, this is completely out of my comfort zone but its also the trip of a lifetime.  This is probably the last holiday I'll have with my son as he's just finishing Uni now, and then he's off into the big wide world so he won't have as much time to come and stay with his old mum!  Are you having any vaccinations?  from what I can see they're not compulsory, although you can't vaccinate against dodgy stomachs!  I guess the next step is applying for the visas

Ann Lee

Anonymous
Tue, 06/14/2011 - 12:09

Hi, I'm Juliet and also on the trip in August, looking forward to it but I feel as if I haven't given too much thought to it yet.  I love walking and trekking and there are lots of hikes outside the UK that I would like to do that I haven't yet, so I thought I should get on with it and get some done, and as Ann says this is cetrainly the trip of a lifetime.  I'm sure we'll be well looked after but yup I think bringing some emergency UK food is definitely a good idea!  I always say I eat everything, but I think this may be one trip where I draw the line slightly.....

Look forward to meeting you all in August,

Juliet

Anonymous
Mon, 06/20/2011 - 16:34

>B  Hi all, Welcome to Juliet.  I think we are going to be a mixed bunch which is good.  I am quite fit from various sports but must get my hill-climbing and descending muscles working.  It's nearly July already.  Looking forward to meeting everyone in person. What do you think we are going to have to carry in our backpacks - besides a waterproof? Barbara

Anonymous
Tue, 06/21/2011 - 20:36

Ann Lee

Anonymous
Tue, 06/21/2011 - 20:39

erm I'm thinking of my emergency rations, tissues and wet wipes for the dubious toilets, blister plasters maybe, and sun cream (thinking hopefully there!).  have we all had the lovely e mail telling us its time to part with the cash?  Is anyone going on the Xian extension, apart from me and Craig?

Ann Lee

Anonymous
Sun, 07/03/2011 - 08:06

Just reading through, my best friend and I are coming - booked our trip to get visa's on 22nd July, friend has jabs on the 12th and I am still waiting for my GP to get back to me. Been advised on different things at the moment. Need to get my shopping brain in gear and see what we need!!!

Right off to see how many toilet roll I can get in a bag!! Look forward to meeting everyone and hope we have tons of laughs.......

Anonymous
Sun, 07/03/2011 - 08:08

by the way we're Emma and Karla!

Anonymous
Mon, 07/11/2011 - 10:42

Getting quite close now.  Been doing a bit of reading up, checking vaccinations, applying for visas, shopping etc.  Not going to Xian extension, Ann, I'm afraid.  Still loads to do.>B

Anonymous
Sat, 07/16/2011 - 08:09

is everyone flying from Heathrow on the 25th?   It would be nice to meet up for a coffee (or something stronger) before we take off.  Ann & Craig

Anonymous
Sun, 07/17/2011 - 23:53

Ann and Craig meeting up will be great before we take off - so should we all wear a flower!! ha ha

Anonymous
Mon, 07/18/2011 - 09:59

Our flight appears to be from Gatwick!  >B

Anonymous
Mon, 07/18/2011 - 16:00

How strange Barb - same trip going from 2 different airports.  slight panic but I've checked my e mail and mine definitely says Heathrow.  it would be typical of me to go to the wrong airport!  I'm sure all will become apparent when we get our joining instructions

Karla, a flower is the way foward, maybe a "Wall"flower, hehe groan!!  it would have to be a paper one, we'd never get a real one through security!! Or a duck - rubber, not Peking.  You'll spot me a mile off, I'll be the one floating round looking totally bewildered and lost 

Anonymous
Mon, 07/18/2011 - 17:14

Have checked with customer services who said that some are from Heathrow and some from Gatwick - depends on seat availability - but we all join up in Dubai. >B

Anonymous
Wed, 07/20/2011 - 23:18

I'm flying out of Gatwick, then back into Heathrow - it sounds as if it should all work fine in terms of there the split across the flights, and I think the flight times are similar.  It's good that we'll join up in Dubai to all arrive together.  Picked up my visa today so am pleased about that.  The London service is very efficient, thankfully!  J

Anonymous
Sun, 07/24/2011 - 21:33

Our visas arrived on Friday so that's another thing off the list.  getting closer and more real by the day.  does anyone know how many are actually going on the trip, is it full? 

Ann

Anonymous
Tue, 07/26/2011 - 21:29

as a follow on from the last post, the trip is full, with 12 women and 4 men.  My son is going to be the baby of the group, ah bless

Anonymous
Tue, 08/09/2011 - 15:39

Is anyone else panicking about what clothing to pack?  Shorts, longs, crops, leggings?  Jumper/jacket? How many T-shirts?  etc?  Or are you all super efficient and have long ago decided what not to take? I'm sure i shall probably take either too much or too little!  Looking forward to meeting everyone>B

Anonymous
Wed, 08/10/2011 - 17:28

getting exciting now!   I'm a nightmare at packing, I take everything I own and don't wear half of it.  This time I'm being sensible.  For the walking days - walking trousers (2 pr) & shorts (4 or 5 pr), plenty of T shirts (1 for each day and a couple of spares), 2 microfibre fleeces (if I can find them in my wardrobe!), 1 waterproof jacket.  They've recommended a sleeping bag liner for night times so that's going and some fleecy pj's.  I did ask if we'd need anything dressy and was told just a couple of things not too dressy just nicer than the walking gear for the first night and the opera or circus at the end so I'm taking a couple of light dresses that can stand being creased for 2 weeks! The sky scraper heels will be getting left at home!  I hope that helps more hinders you Barb.  

Anonymous
Wed, 08/10/2011 - 19:19

I'm usually the one taking most of my wardrobe with me and then not wearing half so it's reassuring to hear i'm not alone!  TWO fleeces, eh?  I'm glad you mentioned the "best" clothing for our nights out.  So yes your message was helpful thanks (and reassuring)>B

Anonymous
Sun, 08/14/2011 - 13:47

Well 11 days and Emma and I will be leaving from Gatwick.....Spare bed has a range of clothes that keeps growing and shrinking.

Have not got a sleeping bag liner yet - went to buy a cotton one and lady in shop said silk is better.....but now not sure if we have to have cotton for any particular reason!

We have a few few people ask us about training for this.......so wondered what training or level of fitness people are, I have told people it is not bootcamp!!

Right now to dig out - anymore possible things I can take as my bag is feeling rather empty!! (sure that will change!!)

Look forward to meeting you all - where in the country is everyone coming from I am Devon and Emma is south East.

Karla

Anonymous
Sun, 08/14/2011 - 16:22

I've just sewn a single polycotton sheet in half to make a sleeping liner! Don't sew it right to the top though, leave a turn-down bit.  With regard to fitness, I've been out on a few 2-3 hour walks (though it's difficult to find any hills near us) and since i didn't suffer any aches or pains - or blisters -presume I shall be OK. As you say it's not bootcamp and i'm sure we'll want to stop a lot to take photos.  Like you, packing is coming along with things collecting on spare bed - i need to buy more socks.  My problem is that my two little granddaughters will be using that room next weekend so I'll have to shift everything.  If it's anything like mine, your bag will fill up with toiletries, undies, and bits and pieces like torch, towel etc.  We're on Hampshire/Surrey border and will be leaving from Gatwick too, at 14.25.  See you there.  Look out for backpacks and Exodus labels. >B

Anonymous
Tue, 08/16/2011 - 19:14

I've barely thought about packing yet, I'm a bit of workaholic and spending every spare hour in the office/working at home at the moment.  I've taken the wednesday off to pack and shop for last minute bits - toiletries, wet wipes, food, adaptors, spare batteries,  etc.  Like you the spare bed will be getting loaded up.  i'm sending Craig, his girlfriend and my other son to their dad's on Tuesday night out of the way (and to use their beds!) while I pull stuff out of the wardrobes wonder what I've forgotten.  I'm only taking a small backpack, as I'm the muggins that'll end up carrying it!  Is there only me and Craig going from Heathrow then?   Wonder if its to do with location.   We're from "up north" - Cheshire.    I can't decide if I'm excited yet!!  Probably because its been so long in the planning, and now we're a week away! Guess we'll see you all in Dubai.  Ann  :-)

You recently looked at