Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

TNT - Everest Base Camp - 5th Oct 2012

Anonymous
Thu, 12/29/2011 - 15:27

Hello. Myself and my wife have just booked onto this trip. It would be good to hear from anyone else who will be joining us!

Stuart & Sonia 

Anonymous
Tue, 01/17/2012 - 20:24

Aye up.

hope your keeping well and fully recoverd. sonia can't belive he's talked you in to another climb. not that for one second do i not belive you can do'it . RESPECT.

KEEP WELL REGARDS THE SWAD LADS.XX

Anonymous
Wed, 01/18/2012 - 09:56

Aye up Swadites!

Great to hear from you! I remember joking about this on the way down Kili, when Sonia swore she wouldn't be doing any more mountains - but I eventually talked her into it! It was the cultural aspect that sold EBC to us in the end, can't wait to get up there and check out the Nepalese way of life, temples, yaks and prayer flags etc!!

Are you sure you don't fancy joining us in October? It's a lot more gentle on the old altitude acclimatisation and you can tell Nigel there's no tents involved on this trip! Go on....you know you want to!

Anyway - good to hear from you, hope you're all keeping well.

Stuart & Sonia 

Anonymous
Wed, 02/15/2012 - 18:08

Am thinking about doing EBC in October. Toss up between this and Kili if i can persuade my legs that they really want to do this with me!

Anonymous
Fri, 02/17/2012 - 15:54

Hi Seon - we did Kili last year (Rongai Route), and it was increadible. The day-to-day walking was fine - but the sumit night is a killer. We were lucky that we had 12 out of 12 people make it all the way to the top - but the altitude certainly took it's toll on the group! We found it hard going, but were very proud to have done it.

We were umming and arring about doing another big treking holiday - but what sold it to us was the cultural aspects of EBC. Kili was beautiful, but is very much a wilderness trek. The fact that EBC goes through so many little villages and mountain communities with stupas and pray flags and yaks etc. is really what swung it for us. Hopefully the wonderfull local lifestyle and fabulous mountain scenery will be enough to take away form the pain in you legs! ;)

Anonymous
Sun, 02/19/2012 - 14:51

Hi!

My husband Ben, and I have booked this trip too!  We are so looking forward to it. We are just back last nite from a fab weeks skiing so now will concentrate on getting planned/fit for the TNT trip.

We've not treked before so it will all be new to us! :))

Cant wait!!!

Wendy T 

Anonymous

Hi myself Ian and a friend of mine Paul booked on to this trip back in September, so this is a long time coming, but looking forward to it with great excitement, it was just done a whim on my behalf a phone call from Paul a chat with my wife and hey presto booked.

Looking forward to meet you all.

Ian

Anonymous
Tue, 02/21/2012 - 09:16

Fab. So have u done this kinda thing before? WbT

Anonymous
Tue, 02/21/2012 - 20:40

Hi Wendy & Ben and Ian & Paul!

Really looking forward to meeting you all! Very excited....(except the Lukla flight looks a bit scary!)

Sonia

Anonymous
Tue, 02/21/2012 - 21:14

Sounds like a few people on the trip already! I would be travelling on my own as none of my friends are nuts enough to do a trip like this!!! Kili is now off the list and now trying to decide between this and Anapurna Sanctuary. Friends have said scenery is better on Anapurna trip but Everest sounds pretty appealing!!

Are you all training hard already? Must decide soon so that i can get fit in time!!!

Anonymous
Tue, 02/21/2012 - 21:43

Wendy never done anything like this i live in Lincolnshire so only the flats around here, so as many trips to the lakes as I can fit in within the year, so a new experience on every level for myself.

Sonia lukla is looking like a bit scary however the amount of flights in and out daily with very few accidents is a little comforting, but I do seem to have a you tube fix every week just to remind myself what is store.
As you have done a similar trek any advice would be great fully received.

Ian

Anonymous
Thu, 02/23/2012 - 11:06

I keep reading the reveiws too Ian, and I am just SOOOOOOO excited.. Its gonna b amazing. Mind, I did lay in bed this morning and wander what it wud b like having to crawl out of a sleeping bag at -10c!! Haha

*meant Stuart! soz  

Anonymous
Thu, 02/23/2012 - 13:01

Thanks Stuart sounds like I'm nearly sorted then apart from tissues then.

Anonymous
Wed, 05/09/2012 - 23:26

Any more news on whos joining this trip???

Anonymous
Wed, 05/23/2012 - 18:51

Hi all, ive just booked the last place on the trip. i have never done anything like this before and have no idea what to expect only what i have read and seen on Youtube. It would be great to hear from all of you, with any advice you may have 

gary

Anonymous
Wed, 05/23/2012 - 23:33

Hi Gary.....

Nor have we!!!

And u say the last place? I wander how many of us there are now then, did Exodus tell u that? 

How is everyone else going with plans and training(!) ?

Wend 

Anonymous
Thu, 05/24/2012 - 18:51

hi wendy When i phoned to book they said they were holding a place for someone. On the dates and prices page our departure date now comes up as unavailable. the most they take is 16

Living in essex i dont have many big hills to train on either im going to the brecon beacons in august for a week just to see what my fitness level is like.

have you got any of your kit yet?  ive got my boots and jacket are you buying your sleeping bags or hiring them? i havent decided on that one yet

hope to here from you and anyone else soon

gary

Anonymous
Thu, 05/24/2012 - 22:38

Gary, we have our boots too yes but thats about it.... We've walked upto about 10 miles at a time but pretty flat altho faster than we will do there.

Not decided on sleeping bags yet either, tempted to buy them but then why not hire.... difficult one.

Brecon Beacons sounds like a plan!

Ive met a lady at the gym whos just done it, so been good to get a few ideas from her. She LOVD it tho, Im soooo excited. You done anything like this before?

W x 

Anonymous
Fri, 05/25/2012 - 10:35

I to have done nothing like this before so I'm very much looking forward to it, and also i live in a area with no hills as I don't belive there many areas in the country flater than lincolnshire.
I do have boots and also I am taking my own sleeping bag.
As for training not yet the weather has just come right to get the caravan out for a few weekend trips, with a short holiday abroad with the wife and daughter, it was a softener to be able to do this trip, so some time around August I may start doing some weekends away in the peak district or even up to the lakes, I do belive the hardest part about this trek will be walking at a slow pace.
Enjoy your weekend just about to hold some traffic up whilst towing my van shortly followed by a nice cold beer.

Anonymous
Fri, 05/25/2012 - 15:53

Hi everyone and hello Gary!

Hope you're all well..

Only 4 and a bit months to go! Very excited :)
We've got most of our kit and I think we'll most likely be hiring our sleeping bags.

Sonia 

Anonymous
Sat, 05/26/2012 - 20:49

Ive never done anything like this before the most ive ever walked on holiday before was at disney in florida

Ive been reading a book called Everest a trekkers guide it has alot of useful information in it.

Are you all leaving from heathrow

Gary

Anonymous
Mon, 05/28/2012 - 09:00

Yeah were going from LHR. Our travel company booked the flights, not thru Exodus. Were flying Etihad to Abu Dhabi then Khatmandu. How bout u guys?

Anonymous
Mon, 05/28/2012 - 12:22

We're leaving from heathrow with exodus, stopping at Dehli.
We you-tubed the Lukla airport taking offs. Not looking forward to that so much! Eek!

Anonymous
Mon, 05/28/2012 - 15:39

Think Id rather not look!!!! :(

Anonymous
Mon, 05/28/2012 - 18:06

I am also flying from LHR to New Dehli, lukla looks like fun.!!

Anonymous
Mon, 05/28/2012 - 21:49

Hi guys, just thought I would log on to catch up with everyone. I'm Paul, mate of Ian.

Anonymous
Mon, 05/28/2012 - 22:02

hi.....

Anonymous
Fri, 06/01/2012 - 15:56

lukla does look "interesting"

exactly 18 weeks to go

Anonymous
Fri, 06/01/2012 - 17:41

Hello. I completed the EBC trek last october. So If anyone would like to ask questions I would be very happy to help. I remember having many worries before going. so please feel free. Craig

Anonymous
Sat, 06/02/2012 - 20:26

Hi Craig thank you for the offer of any advise we may need, although you may regret the offer (lol). Although i only booked the trip a week or so ago i have been planning it for a while and the nerves are starting to set in. Can you tell me how fit you were and how hard you found it. Ive read that you walk in the Brecon Beacon is that comparable, is Pen Y Fan comparable to kala Pattar? What did you eat while you were there? As some days are very long obviously the group must get quite spread out, this may sound like a silly question but how do you know where you have to go? Can you tell me what clothes and equiptment you took how many pairs of socks and base layers did you take ect. Did you take any sort of water purification with you.Lastly could you get a mobile phone signal there? Thank you for any answers you have, and if you have any other advise it would be most welcome.

Anonymous
Sat, 06/02/2012 - 21:28

No problem happy to help.The food was very good ,as you eat in lodges. October will just begin to see the lodges getting busier.you get menus with food from omlettes , spag bol, egg curry Dhal Bhat. Breakfast is jam and toast or porridge. It is great food. Drinks are a variety of teas , we loved mint tea. (good for altitude) Can even buy chocolate bars and even pringles from all lodges.All lodges have a fire every night to all snuggle around.(they use yak dung not wood ). Best use hydration system for water, filled in the kitched every morning. we used purification tablets. No tummy problems at all. As for fitness, you dont need to be a racing snake to do the trek. The best tip is just to take your time . The hard sections are the climb up to Namche and then the slog up to Tengboche monastry. And when you get to gorak shep the trek to EBC is 2 half hours each way. You will get stretched out on the trek but not too much, and you will probably have more than one guide.One will be at the front and someone will stay with the last trekker.And they will stop at intervals for all to catch up. Remember the ones who set off the trek at a fast pace WILL SUFFER later in the trek , so take it slow and you will benefit later on at EBC. Go into Tengboche monastry and I swear you will be moved to tears, its so beautiful and humble.Tip on way out.a real highlight. No need to shower on way to basecamp just use good wipes. Usually get en suite rooms with showers  on way down especially from Namche downwards. Kala Pattar is ok really. early morning start, taske it slow and its no problem. Toilets are western style , but can smell as you bin toilet paper, we took a air freshner spray into toilets. Gorak shep has asian squat style, but you just get on with it, its fine. Clothing we took 5 pairs of socks, 5 base layers, 3 trousers. .Cant stress this enough but take very strond sun block, zinc oxide too. We got very burned faces not just from the sun but from the snow. And take good sunglasses. Some porters got sun blind believe it or not.Weather can be unpredictable from phereche onwards.We had bad snow storm and it was touch and go to go on. we got lucky.Some Israel trekkers got caught at EBC and only just made it to our lodge. We were in Kathmandu when earthquake stuck last year.It caused chaos on trek route as first bridge was taken out and a few villages were effected too. All should be rebuilt now. Flight to Lukla is amazing!!!!!! a real highlight. enjoy it. any more questions ask away.

Anonymous
Mon, 06/04/2012 - 12:57

thanks for all your advice im sure i'll have more questions as the time gets nearer

gary

Anonymous
Sat, 06/09/2012 - 16:13

I'm so excited! Not long now!

Anonymous
Tue, 06/12/2012 - 20:34

Fab, thanks Craig! Lots of info there. Making me excited too!

Sonia x

Anonymous
Thu, 07/05/2012 - 14:25

i cant believe its only 3 months away nerves kicking in now  hows everyone doing

Anonymous
Sun, 07/22/2012 - 10:50

Training is not going as it should really!

I was just reading the depature-lounge conversation for the Sept TNT departure - worth a read as they have a couple of people advising them who've just come back from the trip and have some good advise regarding how much money to take etc.

Can't wait....75 days to go!!

Stuart

Anonymous
Sun, 07/22/2012 - 11:52

Thats fine Stuart training at this end is on a stop start basis, more stopping than starting.

Anonymous
Mon, 07/23/2012 - 20:05

Well folks it's not long now! Just got mine and Ian's reminder to pay..lol.

Anonymous
Mon, 07/23/2012 - 20:31

Sonia and stuart all the best on your new adventure . keep climbing

Love the swad lads xx

Anonymous
Tue, 07/24/2012 - 23:00

And with 72 days to go I've finally got some gym membership sorted a few weekend trips in the hills in the planing, so hopefully I will be up there with you all, see you soon.
Buzzing with anticipation.

Anonymous
Tue, 07/31/2012 - 15:18

Hi guys

Im travelling on 3rd Oct from Heathrow via Delhi for the big trek.

Thinking that this thread may be the right one ?? Certainly the dates seem to tie in. 

Anyway, sounds like everyone is excited and well up for it which is great. Im travelling alone but meeting my friend from Oz in Nepal. This is his 40th Birthday Bash !!

Now time to detox and train.........!

Anonymous
Thu, 08/23/2012 - 14:43

Oh my gosh!!! Just been reading for quite a while, some of the other travellers experiences! I am SOOOOOOO so excited....

But getting edgey bout the training. Our eldest son, after his results last week, has now securred a place at Leeds Met Uni, so my next 2 half weeks are all about him, and getting sorted and settled. That'll leave me a grand total of FOUR weeks ro prepare for our hols! Eeeeekkkk..... Thaz not a lotta training is it? Or time to think about kit... But hey, I just keep telling myself 'it'll be alright'. 

How you guys doing, all excited??????

Wend ;-) 

Anonymous
Tue, 08/28/2012 - 14:56

I am now laid up so I do hope you are all training hard at the gym or out on the hills, I've just been signed off work for at least a week with a knee problem not what I needed so close to the departure when I should be building on my fitness, however there is a positive that can come out of everything and that means I get to read other peoples stories and watch lots of you tube videos of Lukla airport.

If any inspiration was ever needed I think Harry's heros on tv last night was sufficient.

Take care folks look forward to meeting you all soon.

Anonymous
Tue, 08/28/2012 - 22:27

Oh whoops Ian.... not good! Poor you, wot did u do??

And WOW that Harrys Heros thing was sooooo good. I cant beleieve all the walk to Base Camp that we saw! Its made me even more excited. Just been to Go Outdoors and looking online as stuff today - so hard to know how much/what to take?! 

Anonymous
Thu, 08/30/2012 - 20:59

Hello!

I hope you're feeling better Ian, hopefully resting it will help :) We watched Harrys Mountain Heroes, it was really amazing!

We'll be doing some shopping on Saturday for bits and pieces. I know what you mean Wendy, we're going to put everything we need to take in our spare room and sort everything out and see if it fits in the Exodus bags, leaving room for a sleeping bag and down jacket we'r hiring from them. Doesnt leave much room, but I do get cold really easily so i'll probably be wearing everything anyway! ;)

Hope you're all keeping well. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Sonia x

Anonymous
Thu, 08/30/2012 - 21:36

Hi peeps, I'm unsure what's happened to my knee but I am most certainly resting up as I've been signed off work for at least a week, lots of tablets to consume, I'm just hoping its a infection(told it's arthritis though)so I'm going with my thought, I really need it to clear up so training can resume.
I can't think of any questions that need answering regarding the trip, I've been I touch with Exodus and we need four photographs (passport) for visas.
Those of you who have done something similar before how do you weigh your baggage whilst your away? For flight restrictions.
Take care looking forward to meeting you all.

Anonymous
Fri, 08/31/2012 - 12:21

I got one of those baggage weighers.... I'll bring that with me and we can all use it in Kathmandu. The hotel will look after the rest of our stuff while trekking I believe.

Think also Ian, we need pics for a trekking pass? Sure I read that somewhere..... No? 

Anonymous
Fri, 08/31/2012 - 12:40

A total of four photos are needed, I was in touch with Exodus about this at the beginning if the week for visas and passes. Thanks for the short loan of your bag scales. It's about 30english pounds for the visa as I was enquiring if I should be taking US Dollars.

Anonymous
Fri, 08/31/2012 - 17:18

Further to me being bored and not being at work, pillow cases, I've been intouch with Septembers trekkers and some of them are on about taking a pillow case to cover the the pillows in the lodges or to make there own a good idea I think. Stuff a jacket into it and you have a pillow.

Anonymous
Fri, 08/31/2012 - 17:59

I been told that too re PC's! Think I'll take a silk one, then when I close my eyes at night i'll be in a luxurious place!! ;-) yeah right....

So u all taking US$? But we still need £30 each for visa? I read about someone who took a lot of $1 bills, good for tips etc... But then I read about someone recommending taking sterling!!! Aarghhhh... Think im gonna give up reading!!  Must be nearly wine o'clock by now anyway.... ;-)

5 weeks today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Anonymous
Fri, 08/31/2012 - 18:35

Personally I'm taking sterling, exchange rate and all that he says with a glass of wine in the other hand.

Pages

You recently looked at