Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Kilimanjaro Shira route, depart 25 Feb 2010

Fri, 07/10/2009 - 12:09

Hi

My wife and I have just booked this trip, it would be great to here from our fellow travellers

We are both 30 and this is our first time doing anything as crazy as this, although I have just been up the 3 Peaks (Ben Nevis, Scafell - see picture) & Snowdon

Cheers

Matt

Anonymous
Tue, 10/13/2009 - 19:38

Hi Matt,

I've just booked this trip (not quite as early as you guys!) but as of when I spoke to Exodus last (a few days ago), I think we're the only ones so far! I'm doing the land-only option so i'll not be meeting you until we get to Arusha - but i'm really excited already. Only 4 months to go...!!

Wendy

Tue, 11/03/2009 - 08:18

Hi Wendy

Thanks for post (& photo - I'll look out for you in Arusha), less than 3 months now!!

I see exodus have renamed this trip 'Lemosho' route, although the itinery is unchanged & there are only 4 places left, so presumably there are 5 other people out there (I think the maximum group size is 12).

How's your training going - have you done much climbing/walking in the past?

Kind regards

Matt

Anonymous
Tue, 11/03/2009 - 10:02

Ooh, I wonder who else our fellow travellers will be...! I hadn't realised they'd changed the name - but I do remember seeing on the map that some of the routes share large sections, so perhaps that's why.

I've done the Inca Trail, Toubkal and Hindu Kush, but i don't really get the chance to do much hiking around London...! My training regime  starts "tomorrow" - although not sure if i'll be doing anything specific - just normal jogging/gym/cycling type stuff. I'm definitely nervous about tackling Kili though - it will be a massive challenge, but one I can't wait for!

Wendy

Anonymous
Tue, 11/03/2009 - 11:15

...I've just been a bit sneaky and called Exodus to ask about the other travellers. They said:

One couple in their 30s (I assume that's you!), two male friends in their 50s, two separate females in their 30s (one of them is me), one female in her 40s, and one male is holding a place.

Anonymous
Mon, 11/30/2009 - 20:57

Graham here. Not sure about the 2 male friends in their 50's! I'm not quite 50 although I will be before we reach the summit. The other guy who had a place being held for him makes us a trio of sad old geezers who are normally used to bagging Munro's. We thought it was time to be a bit more exciting.

Graham

Anonymous
Tue, 12/01/2009 - 18:53

Sorry Matt, it will be Visas before we go. At our age you don't leave anything to chance.

Cheers

Graham

Tipping: I assume you mean for the porters. Don't worry too much about this, they (African Walking Co) try to keep it all very fair. At the beginning of the trip the group will be given a sheet which gives a guide/breakdown of the level of tips for the support staff.....from general porters to toilet porter thru to chef, assistant guide and lead guide. Its all very mathematical.....as a group you work out the total in tipping so, for example (am just making up these figures) if it was $10 per general porter and there were 10 then that would be $100, $40 for the chef, $50 per assistant guide and there are 3, and $60 for the lead guide, that totals $350. If there are 5 clients in the group then that would be $70 each. Ours was all done on the last evening, information on the sheet tells you the process! But, just for info, we had 9 walkers, 1 lead guide, 4 assistant guides, a chef, a porter that did everything (!), a toilet porter, and all the rest general.....for 9 walkers we had a support crew of 37 I think it was!! If I remember rightly it was $85 each. Then some people gave one off extras that final night for things that some porters did over & above, there were about half a dozen extra tips of about $5 each that individuals did seperately. Hope that helps!

Matt Pillinger

Anonymous
Wed, 12/02/2009 - 09:40

I'd been worried about tipping too. I've been on previous trips of this sort with another company, and although they gave an idea as to what each person gets, they failed to indicate just how many people there would be helping us, and most of us ended up making trips to the bank to cover the shortfall.

Anonymous
Tue, 12/08/2009 - 19:18

Hi fellow travellers!

I'm taking a week either side of the Exodus trip to "do my own thing" in Tanzania. Probably spend time in Arusha, Dar and Zanzibar, although i'm going to leave it fairly open and just see what its like when I get there.

Wendy

Anonymous
Thu, 12/10/2009 - 14:45

Is that where we're staying? I thought it was the Moivaro Coffee Plantation lodge.

Anonymous
Thu, 12/10/2009 - 16:36

We are at the coffee plantation too before the climb and the Marangu Hotel for one night after the climb.

Normally we would welcome the opportunity for a game of golf but I think the consumption of beer will take precedence over golf!

Regards Graham

Thu, 12/10/2009 - 17:12

Cheers Graham & Wendy, the only info I could find on the Exodus website was the one I posted, they both look nice though.

Matt Pillinger

Anonymous
Sun, 12/13/2009 - 23:01

Hi All,

I'm Claudia and must be the other female in their 30's.  I'm 33 and usually quite organised but haven't done much for this trip so far - panic is starting to set in.  I've had some good advice from a guy at work that successfully made it to the peak 2 yrs ago but still feel quite underprepared at this stage or am I worrying a little too much?

My first introduction to hiking was on a 10 week tour of the USA last year.  I travelled to most of the major national parks there and ended up hiking in some awesome parts of the world including the Grand Canyon.  However having said this I would hardly consider myself fighting fit.  I don't own gym membership but try to workout at home doing cardio and weight training.  I've read somewhere that training is really quite simple - walk, walk & walk.  I plan to start training after xmas - not sure walking to the tube and to the parlk when it stops raining qualifies as training - hope I haven't left it too late.  Please let me know if you can give me any advice regarding training oh and vaccinations.  The Killi book I bought and several articles on the net reccommend loads of vaccintions.  Other than yellow fever and malaria I'm quite confused on what other vaccinations are necessary.  Does the GP do the required vaccinations or do you have to go to a special vaccination centre like Nomad?  What are your views on this?

Well look forward to keeping in touch prior to our trip.....

Claudia

Anonymous
Mon, 12/14/2009 - 09:51

Hi Claudia,

Hello! Nice to "meet you"! I take it from your mention of the tube that you live in London too?! It does make it harder to get training in. I'd also recommend the walk with TrekhireUK that Matt mentions - it definitely focuses your mind. There's still 2 months to go, so i'm also hoping that's plenty of time to get in shape!

Re vaccinations, all the ones you need should be provided by your normal GP. Except yellow fever, which some places don't offer as standard and charge for. Just book an appointment with the nurse (do it fairly soon) and she will have a list as to what you need and what you've already got.

Don't panic!

Anonymous
Wed, 01/13/2010 - 12:53

Hi guys!

Does anyone know whether the duffle bag in which we are to pack our 15 kg allowance during the actual trek is provided for us?

Anonymous
Wed, 01/13/2010 - 13:01

Matt, i've just seen your other post re kit bags. My question is rather - are the bags provided automatically (without having to request them, free of charge) or do we need to book/pay for them specifically?

Anonymous
Wed, 01/20/2010 - 09:43

From Daniela at exodus:

"The kitbag will be posted to you approximately 2 weeks before departure and it is provided free of charge."

Anonymous
Thu, 02/04/2010 - 15:19

Hi to you all. I did this trip last June and had one hell of an experience. I think your trip adds an extra day to last years to help acclimatisation, well worth it as we lost a 17 year old after two days due to sickness. The days are a mix of challanges, some hard ones but there are easier ones. The nights are cold on the mountain getting down below zero in my tent. Wear a warm hat at night when sleeping, it really helps. Wear layers of clothing so you can peel them off as the day warms up and aim for wicking fabrics rather than cotton which just soaks up the sweat. The two tough days are the final climb starting before midnight and the Baranca wall trek, both spectacular but very rewarding. Talking of spectacular, have your cameras ready for the sunrises and sunsets especially looking out over Mt Meru. Our chief guide had a goody bag of medicines and was able to cope with pretty well all emergencies so concentrate on your basics, Imodium and rehydration salts being essentials. Good luck to you all and remember Pole Pole, which means slowly slowly. The mountain will stay still so take your time getting up it. One final thought, the older you are the better you will cope with the altitude, I'm in my sixties and made it!

Anonymous
Thu, 02/04/2010 - 15:24

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for these words of encouragement. I know I for one have begun to get nervous (in a good way!) about the trip. The kitbag arrived this morning, and i'm having to restrain myself from packing already!

You recently looked at