Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Kilimanjaro.....sept 7th 2011 departure

Anonymous
Mon, 05/23/2011 - 19:52

Made a complete mess of my last message!!!! It said we were off in June! I hope not, I've got a Triathlon the next day!!!! Whoops!

So, anyway....if anyone is travelling on the Kili trip, Rongai Route which leaves London on Sept 7th, please get in touch, say hello, and let's share tips.....my tip is, eat chocolate all the way!!!! Yippeeeeee! It worked for Everest Base camp so I'll have hordes of choc with me!

Shannon

:-) 

My latest posts

Anonymous
Mon, 05/30/2011 - 17:51

Hi Shannon

I'm on the same trip as you and this is my first real serious trek...my best mate challenged me to climb Kili to raise funds for the Macmillan Cancer Support shortly before he died from Leukaemia last year, so I can't let him down. 

Chocolate all the way sounds good to me and I can't wait to see the sunrise on the 13th

Nik

Anonymous
Thu, 06/02/2011 - 17:45

Hey Nik!

Great to hear from you! Firstly, you def' won't let your friend down, he'll be with you all the way and we'll all help each other up the mountian!!!!

I've done a few trekking trips with Exodus and have enjoyed them all, there are two other people I know on this trip, Helen and Fraser, they are superstars and I met them when I did Everest. Me and Helen had a few wobbly points and Fraser pushed me into base camp! You'll love it all. I might cry if I end up in a tent with someone that snores though!!!! Haha!

We've just done the London Marathon in april so hoping to keep the fitness levels up. The phrase you'll hear will be 'Poley, poley' which means 'slowly, slowly'....think I'll go with that and try to enjoy it as best I can....and eat CHOCOLATE!

Shannon :-)

Anonymous
Fri, 06/03/2011 - 17:25

Hi Shannon and Nik

Good to read your thoughts on our climb up Kili, really looking forward to it. Like Nik this is my first real trek although I am a keen walker but not usually at these altitudes! I guess my main concern is the altitude but 'Poley, Poley' sounds good advise. My son, Trevor, is also on the trip, celebrating the end of his university course.

I also cycle and cycled from London to Paris last year for charity but fell off my bike a few weeks back and broke a collar bone so now using the gym to try and get fit.

See you in September.

Stan

Anonymous
Mon, 06/06/2011 - 07:36

Hi Shannon and Stan

Poley Poley and eating loads of chocolate certainly sounds the way to go.

Stan, bad news about the collar bone hope it's on the mend and not too painful.  At least you can now call yourself a proper cyclist!  I broke mine years ago on a training run so I know how painful they can be.  I wish I still had the fitness I had then.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys along with Helen Fraser & Trevor.  

Whereabouts are you guys based?  I live in Sunny Bindon (aka Swindon) although I originally come from Northampton.

Speak to you all soon

Nik

Anonymous
Tue, 06/07/2011 - 16:16

Hi Nik

I am based in West London so not too many hills to practice on, walking along the Thames Path is probably not the best preparation. Trevor is in Aberystwyth which is good for hill walking and we have done a bit of coastal walking.

Not long now

Stan

Anonymous
Sat, 06/11/2011 - 18:33

Hi everyone... I'm booked for this trek as well. I've done a few others (Overland Trek in Tasmania, Inca trail) but never at this altitude... I like the idea of taking it slow and eating chocolate the whole way to the top! I'm coming from Dublin... there's a few hills to practice on but I'm mostly sticking to cycling & the gym to get my fitness up in time for Kili.

Looking forward to meeting you all... not long now! Ekkkk!

...Lesley 

Anonymous
Sat, 07/30/2011 - 00:42

How are you all?  I thought I'd just make sure you're all still going and not too nervous.  The trip seems to be upon us all of a sudden. Really looking forward to it though.

I now have 2 reasons for climbing Kili...the first in memory of my late friend and secondly and far more recently for my little boy who was born 6 weeks ago.  He's a fantastic little fella and does his best to spend as much time as possible being cuddle and rocked to sleep by yours truly.  So climbing Kili will be a welcome rest and hopefully I'll get half a (or dare I say a full) nights sleep.

Any of you guys got any tips on training or kit to take or leave. I have the following:

1) Asda are selling Malarone at £2.50 per tablet and if you use their chemist for consultation you don't need to pay for a private prescription

2) A guy who has climbed Kili 8 times and going for his 9th at the end of September recommends to start drinking at least 1 litre water per day now and steadily building to 5 litres a week prior to departure.

See you all soon

Nik

I'm raising funds fo Macmillan Cancer Research in memory of my late friend. Details at www.justgiving.com/climb-4-sean

Anonymous
Sat, 07/30/2011 - 17:41

Anonymous

Sorry,

I so can't use this silly website right...as soon as I press the return key (in error) that's my message gone....technology defy's me!

So then, Hello Lesley, sorry I've not said hello yet! Hope you are well and the training is going well? I seem to be doing pretty much what you are with exercise etc....in fact I am sitting on the sofa contemplating my race tomorrow, the London Triathlon.....aaaagggggghhhhh! Why do we do these things!? My aim is to not fall of my bike and to finish and perhaps it might help me get my fat bum up that mountain in just over a month's time!!!!

Well.....that's my theory!

Congrat's to Nik and family on your little baby boy....sleep? In a tent on a mountain at altitude.....ummmmmm.....let's hope huh!?

Good tip on the Malerone, never knew that. Thanks Nik. Silly question.....where do I buy a decent duvet jacket at this time of year? I'm thinking there is such rubbish choice I might just hire one as I don't want to spend out loads on something horrible.....I hired my jacket and sleep bag for Everest Base camp and it was super-duper!

Oh, here's a tip...babywipes! NO showers = how many babywipes will it take me to 'wash' myself!???

I think I miht try taking some carb gels and protein bars to give me a bit of a boost. I just found I craved sugar like no one's business, so hope these might curb it slightly. Recently tried some 'Bounce' balls which you can get in Waitrose and they are small to carry but filling. I just think about food don't I!? Oh dear....

Exercise wise, my advice would be a mix of aerobic and interval training. Intervals will help boost up your VO2 max and great for fat burning...we love a bit of that don't we!?  Core and back exercise as well. Ive messed up my knee so will have to sort that before then or I'll get a porter to carry me up!!!!

Anyway, see you all soon.

Shannon

Anonymous
Sat, 07/30/2011 - 19:06

Hi Shannon

Someone who went to Antartica recommended I get a RAB Neutrino Endurance Jacket.  After a quick look on the web you might find one at theoutdoorshop.com for £159 which is over £50 cheaper than what I paid for one.  They added it's better than RAB's Summit Jacket.

Look after your knee, especially on the bike tomorrow...it's the most common ailment for cyclists.  I've picked up an injury too...my achilles tendon. It's slowly on the mend...very slowly!!  haven't been able to train for almost 2 months.  I daren't push it too hard at the  mo in case it puts an end to my trip.  Just have to use plenty of pain killers I suppose.

Good luck with the Jacket

See ya soon

Nik

I'm raising funds fo Macmillan Cancer Research in memory of my late friend. Details at www.justgiving.com/climb-4-sean

Anonymous
Sun, 07/31/2011 - 09:55

Hi

Congratulations Nik on the birth of your son, you can tell him all about the trip in the years to come. Not sure sleeping on Kili will be more restful, still I expect we will all sleep well on the flight back. I expect Shannon you are on the Triathlon at the moment so hope all went well. Not sure my training is that intense but i am getting to the gym regularly so hope to be as prepared as i can be, the view from the top will make it all worth it.

Useful info Nik on Malarone, thanks. On altitude sickness keeping hydrated is clearly vital (might stay of the beer a few days before the trip) but is anyone thinking on taking along anything ? I have seen Diamox recommended in several articles and it seems a good preventative measure, I might have a chat with my doctor.

Must try 'Bounce' balls, jelly babies also recommended!

All the best

Stan

Anonymous
Mon, 08/01/2011 - 21:48

HI Guys! I survived the London tri and came 11th out of 176 ladies in my age group! Yippeee but I'll be the first to cry on the mountain....watch and laugh! My knee was ok but then the other one took over in sympathy!! Whoops! Def good tip on the Malarone, that's what I've taken before so think I'll stick to that this time. I have a feeling that Exodus actually take Diamox in the first aid kit with them but check with them if you can. They def' had some when we did Everest and we even had an inflatable oxygen tent! How cool is that!???? Mind you, cool it may be but I don't fancy having a go inside it! ;-)                        Stan, you bring tones of Jelly Babies, I'll bring bounce balls and we'll be ok in case we get our arms trapped behind a rock and have to cut then off.....sorry, watched 127hours last night really felt for Aron Ralston. Book is also really good if you fancy it. Anyway, chat soon. Shannon

Anonymous
Mon, 08/01/2011 - 21:48

HI Guys! I survived the London tri and came 11th out of 176 ladies in my age group! Yippeee but I'll be the first to cry on the mountain....watch and laugh! My knee was ok but then the other one took over in sympathy!! Whoops! Def good tip on the Malarone, that's what I've taken before so think I'll stick to that this time. I have a feeling that Exodus actually take Diamox in the first aid kit with them but check with them if you can. They def' had some when we did Everest and we even had an inflatable oxygen tent! How cool is that!???? Mind you, cool it may be but I don't fancy having a go inside it! ;-)                        Stan, you bring tones of Jelly Babies, I'll bring bounce balls and we'll be ok in case we get our arms trapped behind a rock and have to cut then off.....sorry, watched 127hours last night really felt for Aron Ralston. Book is also really good if you fancy it. Anyway, chat soon. Shannon

Anonymous
Mon, 08/08/2011 - 13:48

Hi everyone! Not long to go now... ekkk! First of all Nik congratulations on the birth of your baby boy and Shannon for completing the London Triathlon.... :-)

Thanks for the tip on the Malorone... there's no Asda in Ireland (boo!) but they are the tablets I will be taking as well. I met with a tropical medical doctor and he advised taking Diamox for the trip as our ascent is quite quick.  I've heard mixed reports about it and when I asked him he said the only real cure for AMS is to come down off the mountain but with the Diamox it will relieve the symptoms on the way to the top. You have to take it before you go... you can't start taking it say 2-3 days into the trek as it won't work. Anyhow, I'm going to try a few tables for a few days before I go to see how I get on before I decide.

I've heard good reports about the RAB jackets.... I think I'm going to hire mine out there. My Exodus bag arrvied yesterday and it's soooo small so I might just hire the jacket and sleeping bag to save carrying them over on the flight.

I'll be bringing lots of flapjacks/jellies for the trip and as many sugary energy drinks as I can fit in my really small Exodus bag!!!

Chat soon!!

...Lesley

Anonymous
Tue, 08/09/2011 - 00:33

Hi Lesley

Thanks for the congrats...I'm really going to miss the little fella when we're climbimg Kili. I'll have to bring pleanty of photo's of him to help me get to the top.

I too recieved my Exodus Bag at the weekend.  It's going to be fun working out whose bag is who's.  Do Exodus still have coats and sleeping bags available? I'm going to take all of my stuff in a suit case and pack what I need to take at the hotel in the bag and the rest in my day/rucksack.  Anything else I'll leave behind in the suitcase at the hotel including a couple of changes of nice clean and dry clothes.  The only thing I've hired is one of Exodus' matress as I've heard they're invaluable for a good night's sleep.  I'm not too keen on the Diamox and have been advised not to use it but have heard good things about it.  Apparently the Comic Relief team relief team relied on it to help them summit successfully.

I've also been advised to take "High 5 Zero" Hydration tablets as they not only help you keep hydrated they also improve the taste of the water which I've heard taste nothing like fresh spring water :-)

I think I'll be bringing loads of chocolate...probably the good old Yorkie Bars so hopefully they don't melt in my bag!!!

Well done Shannon for completing the London Triathlon...I guess you'll be the first of us to reach the summit...a day or two before the rest of us I reckon with your fitness :-)

See you all soon

I'm raising funds for Macmillan Cancer Research in memory of my late friend. Details at www.justgiving.com/climb-4-sean

Anonymous
Sat, 08/13/2011 - 09:46

Thanks Lesley, 

If Malerone is loads cheaper than over in Ireland I could always get you some here and send it over. I am going to the travel clinic on thursday to check out the cost there etc....let me know. I haven't taken Diamox before, heard good and bad about it. My main concern was that it can mask the symptons so they say. God knows. All this info drives you nuts eh? I was trying to look for a jacket last week, it drove me bonkers, so many diff' opinions!!! AGH! Anyway, finally got one that I can layer up and use for other things as well so if I freeze or boil you know I got bad advice! Whoops! I will def' not be first up the mountain, we go together and I g'tee I'll be at the back with Helen and Fraser taking it slow and trying to enjoy the views. You guys will fly up so have no fear, good to have fitness but we all know if doesn't g'tee anything. Bummer huh!????

The High 5 thing sounds like a good idea. Nothing like manky water to encourage you to drink! Lesley, I think my bag will have my jacket, Sleeping bag and a load of sweets, choclate, High 5 and anything else calorific!!!!! Oh well....I'll be hiring my sleep bag I think, all these things cost so much money it's crazy! I'll get Fraser and Helen to ping a message on the site. They have been to Kili before but not this route so they have lots of useful tips me thinks.

Anyway, have a great weekend whatever you are up to!

Shannon 

Anonymous
Sun, 08/14/2011 - 21:45

Hi all,

Shannon keeps dropping our names in so thought I ought to say hello on behalf of Fraser and myself.  We did trek Kili a few years ago now when we were both a little younger!! F got to the top but didn't have time to walk round the crater hence we are back 7 years later (also happens to have been his 40th this year so cause to celebrate).  I going to be taking things ultra slow - as Shannon will confirm - altitude is now necessarily my thing so we'll see how far I get this time.

Useful tips?  Erm, take it slow, don't pack too much 'cos you probably won't wear it all anyway and Shannon's wet wipe washing sounds perfect.  Appearances can wait until we are back off the mountain!

Look forward to meeting you all soon - less than a month to go!

Anonymous
Tue, 08/16/2011 - 18:50

Hi Helen

Great to hear from you. I can't believe our trip is just 3 weeks away!  Recieved my "eticket" and joining instructions today which really brings home just how close we are to going.

Did you take anything with you last time you visited Kili and wished you hadn't and likewise did you leave anything behind you wished you'd packed??

Looking forward to meeting up with you all

See ya soon, Nik

I'm raising funds for Macmillan Cancer Research in memory of my late friend. Details at www.justgiving.com/climb-4-sean

Anonymous
Tue, 08/16/2011 - 19:46

Hi guys: not long to go now! Shannon thanks a million for the offer of picking me up some Malerone but I'm all sorted already! Just one more injection and a few thermals layers to pick up and I'm good to go! :-)

I got my joining instructions today too.... really must sort the visa out in advance though to save any hassle when we get over there! 

Helen glad to hear that yourself and Fraser are doing Kili again.... it mustn't have been too bad the first time around.  *fingers crossed* 

See you all in a few weeks!

Lesley 

Anonymous
Tue, 08/16/2011 - 20:09

Hi Lesley

I'm getting my Visa at the airport as it was so easy last time I visited Tanzania in 2005.  It also worked out a tad cheaper than one bought in advance...much to my other halfs annoyance as she brought hers in the UK!  All we had to do was complete a very simple form walk up to the desk pay the 50 bucks and the kind man stuck a nice visa in my passport, job done!

Just had a look on Ethiopian airlines web site and apparently we can take 2 x 23Kg bags...not too sure the porters will thank us for taking that much!!  Haven't weighed my stuff yet but I think my sleeping bag will weigh the most.  I managed to get hold of a brand new special forces bag good to -50c.  After my last trip to Africa there is no way I'm going to be cold again...I had a light-weight 3 season and it was freezing at night especially on the Ngorongoro crater rim.  I ended up wearing more clothes to sleep in than I wore during the day!

See ya soon

Anonymous
Tue, 08/16/2011 - 21:00

Very jealous of your sleeping bag Nik!! You will be toasty!! That's cool about the visa... in that case I might just get mine at the airport as well :-) 

Anonymous
Wed, 08/17/2011 - 10:23

Most of mine relate to food!!  The porters are amazing with what they manage to carry and cook - no complaints last time on the food front.  I find my appetite goes with altitude though so this time I'll be taking lots of bits to pick at as we go so if I miss a meal or too hopefully the energy levels won't suffer too much.  Nuts and raisins, cereal bars that sort of stuff.  Dried fruit as well - that mango stuff that looks like the bottom of old shoes!  The only thing we packed too much of last time was clothes - lets face it we are going to stink just a little and no amount of merino with it's special properties is going to stop that!  On the last night when we left for the summit, half an hour later we were stopping to remove layers - we do have some fairly big down jackets though - you'll see us in the moonlight.

Def. worth having the heavy sleeping bag Nik, especially since it's tents this time. 

When you see us at the airport we'll be the two with the unbelievable amount of baggage but really it means we have a lockable suitcase to leave at the hotel during the trek with all the nice clean clothes inside.  No doubt we will be able to rent out space in it, rates usually just involve a mars bar or two. 

See ya soon 

Anonymous
Wed, 08/17/2011 - 17:19

Uh oh! Three weeks to go and god am I disorganised! But have managed to make an appointment for an evil person to give me some evil injections tomorrow afternoon..... :-( 

Will sort out my sleeping bag in a moment. Helen, baggage should be ok but can I rent Fraser for a piggy back to the top!????? PLEASE!!!!!????? :-)))))

Excited now!

Shannon 

Anonymous
Thu, 08/18/2011 - 08:35

It'll cost you more hot chocolate and Mars bars but it can always be arranged!

Anonymous
Thu, 08/18/2011 - 09:53

I can do Mars bars and hot chocolate....no worries!!!!!

I have hired my Sleeping bag through the Exodus office, so I'll be given it when I arrive for the trip in Africa. It cost £32 just if anyone else was interested in doing the same, means I don't have to carry it out there and I couldn't justify buying one as I don't know if I'll use it again....

Have got injections this avo......aaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! 

Anonymous
Thu, 09/01/2011 - 20:49

Wow, in less than a week we'll be on our way!!!  All of a sudden our trip is upon us and I don't know about you guys but I'm starting to question; have I done everything and got everything?  No doubt I'll get to the airport and realise I didn't do or get everything...so long as I have my passport I'll be happy.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys & having one hell of an experience together...and getting to the top and see the sunrise over the majestic plains of Kenya and Tanzania.

See you all soon...real soon :-)

Nik

Anonymous
Sat, 09/03/2011 - 22:02

Hi everyone

Well in just under 4 days we'll be in the sky and on our way :-)

Do any of you fancy meeting up at terminal 3 Wednesday evening for a drink or 2 prior to take off...if so any suggestions where we should meet??? I'll be wearing the t-shirt I'm wearing in the picture trying to drum up more interest in sponsorship...you never know it's always worth a try :-) so I should be easy to recognise.

Shannon, very many thanks for your sponsorship, that is very kind of you and really appreciated.

See ya soon

Anonymous
Sat, 09/03/2011 - 22:36

No worries Nick,

I know what it's like trying to raise money for charity. I feel like I'm constantly asking for cash for some event I am doing!!!!

Drop me a line when you are at the terminal and if I haven't spotted you then let me know where you are and I'll come say hello. I'll prob bump into Fraser and Helen at some random point so will send them in your direction as well.

Last minute training going on???? I've just got a 10k tomorrow morning and hope to run again in the evening and pack my stuff between the runs!!!! Very disorganised....realised when chating to a client earlier that I have no currency...whoops!!!!! Am crap and getting worse as I get older!!!! Haha!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Anonymous
Mon, 09/05/2011 - 09:16

Getting ready today, think i have everything. Looking forward to seeing you all, Nick I will look out for the T shirt,

We will be on the mountain by the end of the week!

Stan

Anonymous
Mon, 09/05/2011 - 09:52

Hi Stan

I'm getting my final odd bits today too, so it may be a bit hectic.  Will finish the packing tomorrow and then hopefully Wednesday will be a nice easy relaxing day.

Thanks very much for your kind donation.  It's very humbling when people you haven't met and only had the minimum of contact or conversation support and sponsor your cause, so thanks very much to those of you who have sponsoerd me.  I owe you a drink already :-)

I've just read a diary of a succesful Kili summiter (if that's what you call them) and the adrenaline is starting to pump.  Really looking forward to walking above the clouds and stepping on top of Africa.

See you all soon

Nik

Anonymous
Mon, 09/05/2011 - 20:58

Relaxing on wednesday Nik!???? Eh???? You can come to my spinning class in the morning if you fancy!!! Ha ha.......

Anonymous
Mon, 09/05/2011 - 21:04

Packed and ready to go (I think!!) ekkk! My flight leaves Dublin at around 3pm so will see you all in the airport! Looking forward to meeting you all!

See you soon! 

Anonymous
Mon, 09/05/2011 - 21:16

Yippeeee!!!!! See you there Lesley. Looking forward to meeting you.

Travel safely.

Anonymous
Fri, 09/16/2011 - 20:49

Lesley!

We are all confussed and in fact Fraser thinks you are a figment of my tiny imagination....where did you get to? We think you may have been on the other trip? Lemosho route? If you were then let us know how it all went, fingers crossed you reached Uhuru peak.

Out of 12 of us we had 6 reach Uhuru and nine reached Gilmans so not bad at all. Had a fantastic trip, brilliant group, shame we didn't meet you.

Anonymous
Sat, 09/17/2011 - 17:36

Hey Shannon... I think I must have been on the earlier flight to Nairoi. Out of 9 of us all but 2 made the summit due to altitute sickness. I was really lucky... only a mild headache at the top but it was a great trip and the group were all lovely. The scree on the way to the top was a nightmare wasn't it.... 3 steps forward and 2 back!! Such an amazing trip... I'm signing up for Everest Base Camp next year woo hoo!!. Shame I didn't get to meet you guys, I checked when I got back to the hotel and it looks like ye were the group to set off after the one I was in. Glad you all made it... such an achievement and one for the life CV. Spending the rest of the weekend resting up & eating tee hee!!! :)

You recently looked at