Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Kilimanjaro-Rongai 22nd October 2010

Anonymous
Mon, 11/30/2009 - 21:43

Hi,

I'm Janice, me and my friend Sam are doing this climb next year. Anyone else booked for this yet? We are overwhelmed with the choice of clothing available. We really want to ensure we are prepared for the cold!!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions on effective, reasonably priced thermals, fleeces. Also has anyone hired any items....How were they? Thinking of hiring a sleeping bag. 

Anonymous
Thu, 12/03/2009 - 10:39

Hi did Kili in August, hired sleeping bag, down jkt, sleeping mat from trekhire uk, very good quality gear, arrived a week before, they also advise you on kit list if you ask.

Anonymous
Wed, 12/09/2009 - 20:15

Thanks for the info Jo. I take it you reached the top? Wonderful experience?

Jan

Anonymous
Mon, 04/05/2010 - 08:32

Hi Janice and Sam. I'm on this trip and like you totaly confused by the all the marketing hype concerning kit. As I see it the major peices are boots,jacket and sleeping bag. I have brought new Brasher boots - busy braking them in, its taking that long I may wear them out before we get to the mountain. I,m going for a three in one jacket gortex outer with a fleece liner hopefully this one jacket should be flexalbe enough to cover all the condictions we are likely to encounter. As for the bed, I'm such a comfort freak I'm thinking of extra porters the carry my home bed, central heating/air conditioning. If you have eny ideas please share. Ho well back to the boots and the muddy hill side.

Bob

Anonymous
Mon, 05/10/2010 - 21:19

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  Sam and I are doing lots of training, walking the White Cliffs and visiting the gym.  Have recently had vaccinations.  Back in April went on a trek with UK Trek Hire, in Guilford.  We are hiring some equipment.  Have a Montane antifreeze jacket.........amazing! Got it from Gooutdoors website...£40 cheaper than anywhere else. Have a 3 ltr water bladder and am getting used to using it. Have an insulator tube to protect the tube from the cold!  Plans going really well.

Anonymous
Thu, 06/10/2010 - 21:07

Hi Janice & Sam,sorry for the long delay in replying. My wife, Valerie has been ill she suffers with chronic lung decease, so my schedual went off track a little. She's well now so back to the training. The break seems to have done some good in that my stamina has inproved. I live on the coast and am cobcerned that  I'll have altitude sickness at the start of the climb let alone the top. I'm planning the pinch a few bags off the airline on the way out. The jacket you have gone for looks and sounds really good. This is going to be a one off trip for me so the save money I'm coating my cardy in tar to make it waterproof, it will also work on the mossies as they will stick to it in the warm weather to from layer of insulation in the cold weather. thate enough nonsence for now.

Bob     

Anonymous
Sun, 06/13/2010 - 10:18

Hello! I had an insulator tube also.....water still froze, the key is to blow the remaining water back into the bladder, that way the tube remains empty and can't split due to frozen water!

You'll have a fabulous time (but you may not think it at the time!), enjoy every minute of the last night & morning, take as many pictures as you can, no matter how tired you are,it'll all be over to soon and just a dream!

Anonymous
Wed, 06/23/2010 - 10:38

Hi

Thanks Jo for the tips especially on the water tube. Hi Bob glad your wife is better and you are back into your training, I look forward to meetining you on the trip. Time is just wizzing by I cant believe where all the months have gone. I too live at sea level so hoping that the altitude doesnt get me too badly.

Sam   

Anonymous
Sat, 07/03/2010 - 20:14

Hello folks...

Myself and my boyfriend, Jay, booked the last two places on this tour last week...and are very excited as we have wanted to do it for a few years!!! Going trekking in Costa Rica in two weeks time, so planning on breaking our new boots in there...any other tips from people??? What preparations are you doing? I had Yellow Fever for Rwanda/Uganda a few years ago, but Jay wasnt there - are you getting it due to increased border checks or not? Any kit gems you have found? Hoping to do a mini safari at the end before the flight home, anyone else planning on it?

Sar and Jay!

Anonymous
Mon, 07/12/2010 - 15:12

Looking forward to meeting you, and its great news that the trip is booked up.  I had the yellow fever, as I was under the impression that we had to have that one. Have got most of my kit, but need some warm gloves, main worry is being cold ! so gone for merino wool base layer and have a duvet jacket too. Have a great time treking in July.

Sam

Anonymous
Fri, 07/30/2010 - 21:32

Hi all

There is a lot of us 'Kili Trekers' on this site trying to contact others in they group. I've be in touch with most of you traveling to Kili in Aug, Sep and Oct. As there are a couple of us going to North wales to climb Snowdon on Sat 14 Aug, arriving the friday night and camping out. Sunday will look at Tryfan another lovely walk/climb. Therefore I would love to get as many Kili Trekers together to do some walking and talking. If you are insterested e-mail me on jim.donald@babcock.co.uk I think it would be great to get everyone together and discuss 'Kili'

Hear from you Jim

You recently looked at