Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Kilimanjaro - Lemosho Route 12th Feb 2014

Anonymous
Mon, 04/15/2013 - 12:13

So...I guess I am the first to post then....ok...My name is Dave Gurney and I have been talked into doing this "hill" by my brother (who is also going too...so I get to give him grief if it gets too tough!). Am currently on the cross trainer most nights, and doing as many peaks in the UK this year as I can get away with...

So if your on this trip too, then I wish you luck and see you there!

My latest posts

Anonymous
Wed, 04/24/2013 - 22:57

So... I guess I am the second to post then.... ok.... My name is Rob Gurney and I have also talked my brother into doing this "hill" (so I get to give him grief if he moans too much). Am currently on the cross trainer more nights than he is, and doing more peaks in the UK this year than him too....

Would love to hear from anyone else booked onto this trip - its going to be a good un. 

Cheers,

Rob G

Anonymous
Sat, 04/27/2013 - 21:06

So... I guess I am the third to post then.... Ok.... My name is Nik Gurney and I have decided to do this "hill" with my husband Rob and brother in law Dave (so I get to give them both grief and moan a lot). Am currently on the cross trainer quite often, have started jogging and am trying to do nearly as many peaks in the UK this year as the two boys....

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else, it's going to be fab! Can't wait!!

Anonymous
Thu, 05/16/2013 - 22:47

Hi Guys, well we are the 4th and 5th to be joining you on this trip. It is take 2 for me I attempted the Rongai route in Feb 2011 but was brought down suffering from altitude sickness. Since then I have done atlas mountains in morroco and also everest base camp and kala pattar both trips completed successfully. Margarita also on this trip did base camp with me in october. I am hoping with the extra time for acclimatisation this will be the better route option. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Anonymous
Wed, 05/22/2013 - 23:32

Hi Angela and Margarita, good to hear from you. There are four of us who have booked up so far, myself, my brother and his missus, and our mate Jamie...who is obviously a bit shy and hasn't posted here yet. None of us have attempted anything as dramatic as you two so far (look forward to all the stories next feb ;-))...but have climbed a lot of the bigger hills in the uk over the past few years and are lined up to do Ben Nevis again in two weeks time (current weather conditions at the top are apparently snow with windchill of -20...so all we need is to attack it in the dark and simulate a dose of altitude sickness for that authentic Kili experiance eh?). Anyway enough babble for now...chat laters, Dave G

Anonymous
Sat, 05/25/2013 - 19:45

hiya guys really looking forward to meeting you all. Jamie don't be shy talk to us! Oh be sure we have lots of stories to share with you, all good though. We also are looking to go up Ben nevis at some point this year just waiting for better weather. We walk every weekend in the peak district, lake etc and manage to get lost almost every time lol. We have done scafell, helvellyn, snowdon etc quite a few times and thinking crib goch later this year. The African Walking Comapny who partner Exodus are absolutly amazing people, I cannot fault their expertise and patience,they are the most amazing people I have ever met. It is freezing on Kili so make sure you have the right clothing. Are you taking Diamox? I didnt the first time but have done the last couple of trips. The altitude gets me at 13000ft every time.

Anonymous
Wed, 05/29/2013 - 21:33

Evening people, I got new booties and now thanks to Daveg a neck thing too.

Look forward to meeting you all, bit worried I am not as hardcore as everyone else but in for a penny!

speak soon

Jamie 

Anonymous
Tue, 06/11/2013 - 23:36

Hi Angela

Have you ever considered pre-acclimatisation before heading out on your high-altitude trips? I put a post on the Exodus forum a while ago but no-one has responded. There are a few companies in the UK offering equipment hire so that you can get your body used to breathing reduced-oxygen air, which increases red blood cells etc.... The science behind it all seems valid, but it is quite costly. Is this something you have looked into? Or are you happy to rely on Diamox to get you through?

Cheers

Rob G

Anonymous
Thu, 06/13/2013 - 22:32

Hi Rob I have thought about it but to be honest I think I would still suffer from altitude. I think I am just going to try the same as I did doing Everest base camp and hope it works for me again. I took ginkgo biloba, diamox 250mg twice a day and ibufrophen. Although I did suffer a little at namche bazaar I quickly recovered and had a headache at about 16000ft but got passed that as well. I managed kala pattar at 18200ft so fingers crossed.
Thank you for your reply margarita and I are very excited and looking forward to meeting you all.

Regards

Ang

Anonymous
Wed, 06/19/2013 - 16:28

Hi again Ang. While you chaps are on the subject of Diamox, I have been chatting to some people at work who have already done Kili, and they say that some people on their trip taking diamox messed up their appetites so they just didnt feel like eating...and this meant that they didnt eat enough to top up energy reserves? Any similar experiances of this or were you side-effect free?

By the way we all did Ben Nevis again last week (in the sunshine!)...and I was the slowest...so unless I beef up my training it will probably be me doing most of the whinging on the trip next year! Rob, however, was unanimously voted as the "Most Improved Climber" for his efforts!

Anonymous
Wed, 06/19/2013 - 23:20

Hi Dave, I didn't have any side effects from the diamox and as far as I'm concerned everyone at altitude will loose their appetite. I think it's a decision you have to make for yourself but I do regret not taking it the first time that said my friend took it on Everest and she still didn't make it but it worked for her on Kilimanjaro. You could always see how you get on without it and take some just in case. We are going to do Ben Nevis in August just looking at booking accommodation and train tonight. We are from Manchester so pretty costly getting up there. Where are you all from and where did you stay, was it in fort William?

Get on the Internet and do your research on diamox as long as your not allergic to sulphur it won't do you any harm, I lost my appetite completely on Kilimanjaro without the diamox I literally couldn't eat a thing whilst at Everest I ate all the way up that said I can't say I felt hungery but still I managed to eat and keep it down.

Speak soon Ang

Anonymous
Thu, 06/20/2013 - 12:42

Am so sorry to intrude but I happened to stumble across your posts and wanted to join in on the party :o)

My sister and I are booked to do Kilimanjaro on the 8th December this year and then EBC on the 24th April next year .  ( You guys sound like a barrell of laughs just a shame we are not travelling out with you ) By By  eck I feel like Billy no mates as no one else has joined our trip yet :0(

If it is not too inappropriate , I wonder if any of you doing Ben Nevis could put up with 2 stragglers joining you on the hike ?? Promise to give you a no holds barred blog of our Kili trip on our return :0)

Colette

Anonymous
Fri, 06/21/2013 - 15:19

Cheers for that Ang, have been doing a bit more research now and was already coming round to the idea of taking some too. When we did Ben Nevis two weeks ago we stayed in the Glen Nevis Campsite which is walking distance of the start point. On previous visits we have stayed in one of the cheap(ish) B+B's in Fort William which were ok...but you do need to then walk or drive to the visitors centre to start the climb, which is about 2.5 miles each way.

Anonymous
Fri, 06/21/2013 - 15:28

Hi Colette, no need to apologise for the intrusion, any advice (or chat) is welcome :-)

Not heading up Ben Nevis again for a while...but it is certainly worth doing as it is such a relentless slog that it is pretty good stamina training.

Anonymous
Sun, 06/23/2013 - 21:31

Hi Colette, we are heading up Ben Nevis on the 26th/28th July we are staying at the Ben Nevis hotel. You are both welcome to join us on the long laborious climb up I am going with my friend Paula and her husband, if that's not convenient for you both I will be going again with Margarita in September :-)

Anonymous
Tue, 06/25/2013 - 09:42

Hi Angela

Would love to tag along in July but a bit close as need to plan rotas well in advance .  Most definitely up for September time though if you can let us know what dates you are planning ? My sister lives just outside of Penrith and we are planning on getting some miles in around the lakes August 25th / 26th ( Bank Holiday weekend ) .  Sis is planning on some challenging walks to hopefully help me overcome my fear of heights .... Striding Edge has been mentioned !!!

Colette

Anonymous
Tue, 06/25/2013 - 21:11

I will let you know as soon as we have set a date it will probably be beginning rather than the end of September. We do quite a lot of walking in the lakes at weekends. We recently did the Old Man, two Loughriggs, and Crinkle Crags. We have done Scafel a couple of times and Snowdon many times aswel. Not too keen myself about Striding edge we did go last year but ended up on Swirrel  edge due to taking the wrong path. I,m not too keen on knife edge ridges I have to say!!!

Ang

Anonymous
Sat, 08/24/2013 - 14:08

Hi...just to let you know I've also booked on this trip. DaveyBoyG - no harm in being slowish! in fact I would suggest practising to be slow (perhaps carrying more), as being used to walking in this country and doing altitude walking in Peru and Nepal, I was constantly told to slow down! and they usually allow plenty of time to walk on these trips - much shorter days than I usually do here i.e. certainly no rush, and in my experience a slow steady slog is best way to go (!) A big healthy twentysomething dutch guy got helicopted out of Annupurna when I was there...so patience can be better than fitness, although  obviously some degree of fitness is pretty key. Also, food wise your digestion rate slows, so best not to eat too much heavy stuff and meat. Constant supply of small high energy stuff and keeping hydrated is best. I might take some walking energy bars I think. I remember having some minor headaches and some funny feelings at altitude....which I think happens to everyone to some degree.

I live in Norfolk so don't get much hill walking practice (!) but walk up and down the stairs to my 4th floor office a lot, which I've found keeps my legs in some degree of shape (!) Went to lakes last month and plan at least a couple more hill trips before going.

Have not signed up for the group flight, as hoping to fly KLM from Norwich, but still waiting to see if there is a sale/offer at some point. Anyone else thinking of flying with them? 

Cheers

Chris 

Anonymous
Sat, 08/24/2013 - 19:58

Hi Chris, are you on Atlas Mountains on your photo?

Anonymous
Sat, 08/31/2013 - 11:49

Hi, yes, spot on...Mount Toubkal...have you done that? It was meant to be a normal trek in May, but the snow stayed, so a slightly more challenging ascent with crampons, but great fun! especially snow shooting down!

Anonymous
Sat, 08/31/2013 - 18:18

Hi yes I did it September 2011 no snow though we did the long weekend trip. Lots of skidding on the way down spent much of the time on my backside lol

Anonymous
Sat, 09/14/2013 - 19:48

hello Chris, Nicki, Rob, Dave, Jamie hope you are all starting to get very excited now ( I know we are )? how's your training going? I have just stepped up mine a little at the gym and we are still walking every Sunday. I did Ben Nevis in July but unfortunately Margarita was on holiday so did not come with me, It was good and managed to complete it in 6hrs 50min (not too bad I think). I a bit out of action at the moment as I managed to tear my cartilage in my knee three weeks ago! I am of the crutches though now and on the mend. We have treated ourselves to a couple of new tops and pants etc and go out doors have just replaced my boots as the rand had started to come away (not bad though I had had them 18mths so quite impressed that they replaced the for me). I am so excited I have even started to get sun cream ear plugs etc!!!

speak soon guys

Ang and Margarita x

Anonymous
Sat, 09/14/2013 - 23:15

Hi Ang - good to hear from you again.

Yes we are getting excited too (have been all year actually!). Except maybe Jamie, who is a bit of a "just tell me what to do and I'll do it" kind of chap. ;-)

The 4 of us did the Yorkshire 3 Peaks last weekend and managed to complete the route in 10 hours 50 mins which we were dead chuffed with. Next trip planned is a 2 dayer in the Lakes at the beginning of October. We are going to do Skiddaw and Helvellyn with an overnight camp in between (to test out the new sleeping bags etc).

Other than that, we are doing what we can to get into shape. Dave is cycling like crazy, Nicki is running and I'm cross-training and lifting a few weights. Lost 4 stone since training began in January. I guess that's what happens when you have a focus.

Hope you recover soon from your injury.

All the best and see you in 151 days!!!!

Rob G

Anonymous
Sun, 09/15/2013 - 18:43

Wow well done on your weight loss Rob that's a fantastic achievement :-)

Really good time on the Yorkshire 3 peaks to it's a bit gruesome that one! We have done it a couple of times and it takes us about 11hrs.  

Good luck on your October trip I will think about you all whilst I am chilling out in Murcia lol

Ang

Anonymous
Mon, 09/16/2013 - 21:09

That's a good idea Rob re: trying out sleeping bags....might have to have a night or two out in the cold to get used to it. Mine is an old Mammut one a hired in Nepal, but I decided to keep it as it packs quite small. I think its a bit past its sell-by date...its says -29C on it, but I don't believe that! the coldest night I used it, I remember wearing all my clothes in the bag......there were snow storms outside, so it was pretty cold.... thermals always a good idea and pack small.

Noticed that this trip is now fully booked up! Looks like its a trip of life time for many....its a special one for me...my 40th year! 

If anyone is looking at flights, I think I might book Kenyan...very good flights times.

Thinking of Snowdonia in Oct as my next hill trip! might take my tent!

Chris 

Anonymous
Mon, 09/23/2013 - 22:23

Hi all, cant believe that it has been 3 months since I last posted here...where has the summer gone?? My bro (Rob) really has lost 4 stone and it is easy to see that this has managed to give a massive boost to his fitness (so he can pull me up that hill). It is a shame that this means that everything he had already purchased for this trip now doesnt fit him anymore...lol. Great to hear from you Chris, and look forward to seeing you in Feb. We are flying Kenya Airways too (into Nairobi , then onto Kili) so hopefull its a good un. I have heard some nasty stories about Kili trips using Ethiopian Airlines so was happy with Exodus's choice of airline I think.

Anonymous
Mon, 09/23/2013 - 22:25

Oh and Chris....40 isnt that bad...I will be a few weeks away from being 42 when we fly out there...so dont worry we can both have our mid life crisis there together eh?

Anonymous
Tue, 09/24/2013 - 20:42

Hi all...I booked the same Kenya group flight today so will be travelling on the same planes....Kilimanjaro is I hear a difficult airport to transfer to a hotel from, so it makes life a lot easier to be picked up at the same time as the group...the flight times are actually the best! Looking forward to it!

Anonymous
Thu, 10/31/2013 - 20:15

Anyone else find themselves kit binging before this trip?....I apologise beforehand if I look like I've stepped out of a Cotswolds catologue (!!) Will need to go on a trip or two to get my new stuff looking a bit more worn in I think (!!)

Anonymous
Fri, 11/01/2013 - 21:06

Hi Chris, margarita and I are exactly the same, every time we finish our walk on Sunday we do the compulsory trip to Go Outdoors! Not too long now we can't believe how quickly it's coming round.

Anonymous
Mon, 11/04/2013 - 22:04

Hi all

100 days to go!!!!!!

Think we are reasonably kitted out now, just a few bits and pieces remain on the shopping list.  

We managed to get up Skiddaw and Helvellyn a few weekends ago. Enjoyed the multi-day climbing with a cold and wet Keswick camp in between. Not quite a mini-Kili experience however, unless they have installed hot showers and Chinese restaurants at each overnight stop on the Lemosho route.....!

Anyone got any winter hillclimbing trips planned?

Rob G

Anonymous
Thu, 11/07/2013 - 08:07

Hi Rob we've not got anything too challenging to do over the the winter. We go out every Sunday to either the lakes or Peak District . We did Blencathra a few weeks ago Via sharpe edge it was very wet and slippery it scared me being on the edge though in slippery conditions Margarita on the other hand is like a mountain goat and didn't bother her one bit!! Did you hellvelyn via striding edge we did a while ago via swirral edge as we took a right turn when we should have gone left which is typical of us we are always getting lost!

Have you had your yellow fever jab yet? Had mine last time so I'm covered but margarita hasn't had hers yet. We have just put our form in to the GP so see what comes back on that.
Have you decided yet wether or not you will be taking diamox?

We have just had our flights confirmed we go from Manchester at 2pm to doha and then we have got about 7hrs at doha for the connection to Kilimanjaro which is a pain but if was a 5hr connection back to Manchester on the way home if we went via London? On the way home we only have one hour connection at Doha though. What time does the group flight get to Kilimanjaro at I think we get there about 3pm?
14 weeks to go and counting!
Speak soon Ang

Anonymous
Tue, 11/19/2013 - 09:02

Hi guys have any of you been advised that yellow fever and malaria tablets are not required? Last time u went I had to have both?

Ang

Anonymous
Tue, 11/19/2013 - 15:24

Forget that last post the practice nurse was looking at last years form when we did Everest base camp Nepal.

Malaria is defo needed I think I'm going to use malarone and she said although yellow fever not compulsory it is advised. When I went in 2010 we had to show are certificate at Nairobi so margaita going to have it.

Ang

Anonymous
Wed, 11/20/2013 - 16:04

Hi Ang

Nicki and I saw our GP a while ago and got a list of all the essentials (which luckily I already have, as I spend quite a bit of time overseas) and the optionals for the trip. 

We were basically encouraged NOT to have the yellow fever injection, as (a) it is listed as optional, (b) it is expensive and (c) there is a small risk of actually catching the rather nasty disease from the innoculation....  

However, Exodus have last week informed us that we are no longer flying Kenyan Airways into Nairobi. We are now booked onto the Ethiopian flight and I have read recent reports of Yellow Fever being a big issue in that country at the moment. So much so that there are instances of Tanzanian officials refusing to allow passengers off the plane from Ethiopia without first showing their YF certificates!!!! So - the "optional" jab is now very much an essential one for us.

Anyway, to answer your previous questions - we didn't do Striding Edge on our Helvellyn ascent. The weather was foul - strong winds, horizontal rain and poor visibility - and we really didn't fancy it (well, Jamie probably did, but we try our best to keep him safe....). Also - we will be taking Diamox with us on the trip, but probably only for emergency use rather than using it regardless. I am hoping that the Lemosho route being 2 days extra will mean that we adjust to the altitude that bit easier - fingers crossed anyway.

All the best - see you soon

Rob G

PS - any sign of any other Kili trekkers in the group? Or is it just the 7 of us?

Anonymous
Fri, 11/29/2013 - 14:07

Hi rob I was doing some research on the internet and it says that taking 1000mg vit C 400 IU vit E and 600mg of Lipoic acid 3 weeks before you go and whilst there has been proven to reduce the effects of altitude? It may be worth a read?

Ang

Anonymous
Mon, 12/09/2013 - 20:50

I think I read somewhere in the notes that Exodus don't recommend you take Diamox as it can make the guides unsure just how much you are being affected by the altitude... and they have it in their packs if necessary + oxygen (!) guessing being Exodus they don't take many risks. Nearly everyone makes it to the Rim I read - and 80% to the very top...that may just be down to exhaustion as much as anything else (!) Anyhow, not much training here in flattish Norfolk except a lot of Swimming and cycling, and walking (on the flat!)..but heading to the peaks over xmas so will walk up and down the hills a few times!!

Anonymous
Fri, 12/13/2013 - 21:47

Hi Everyone, myself and Duncan are also on this trip! We live in London so not much hill walking opportunity there - I also walk the stairs at work (5th and 11th floors), every little helps! I did the Inca trail a couple of years ago so that's the only experience I've had at being at altitude - although obviously this will be much higher so not sure what to expect! I look forward to meeting you all! Lina

Anonymous
Sat, 12/14/2013 - 17:54

Hi Lina and Duncan welcome to both of you. I thinks there are 9 of us booked on this trip now.

the thing with altitude you never quite know what to expect as it can get you different everytime. My friend got to Gilmans point 3 years ago without too munch didfficulty and then was floored with altitude sickness on everest base camp at 15000ft so you can never tell. I tried kilimanajro in 2010 and was brought down with altitude at 14000ft but did base camp and kala pattar at 18600ft with no problems last year. I did take diamox last year and although the guides did give it me on kilimanjaro I think i was too far into altitude for it to make a difference?

maragrita and I are very excited now and just getting the final bits.

looking forward to meeting you

Ang :-)

Anonymous
Mon, 12/23/2013 - 17:02

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to firstly say hello to Lina and Duncan. Thanks for getting in touch with us. Seems like we've got a great bunch of trekkers to share this amazing experience with. Can't wait to meet you all in 51 days!

Also wanted to wish everyone a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS. I hope instead of the usual socks and chocs, you find plenty of merino underwear and wicking technical baselayers under the tree on christmas morning.

BTW - Dave, Nicki and I did Cadair Idris on Saturday as a "last hill of the year" event. We encountered snow at the top and gusting winds that literally took us off our feet at times. We only saw 2 other people the whole day, but still enjoyed the climb despite the adverse conditions. Hopefully this bodes well for our February jaunt....

All the best,

Rob G

Anonymous
Mon, 12/23/2013 - 18:39

Hi Rob and team, Sound like you had fun on Saturday Rob, it was bad enough on Kinder Scout last Sunday with the wind 

Merry xmas to you all hope you all have a fab day and get everything that you had on you lists for Santa. 

Not long now and we will be on our way!

All the best to everyone 

Ang and Margarita  

Anonymous
Sat, 12/28/2013 - 16:15

Hi guys

My boyfriend Richard and I are also booked on this trip; I guess that takes us into double figures. We are from Belfast. Nerves starting to kick in now. Training is not going quite to plan but still, getting it packed in when we can. Santa, it appears, has been very busy in Cotswold.

Almost finished the never ending stream of vaccinations and have also got a prescription for diamox. Not quite sure what to do about when and if to use it.

I did understand that we needed a certificate for yellow fever jab. We did have some trouble in finding a clinic with it as apparently there is currently a shortage of supply within the UK.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Anonymous
Sat, 12/28/2013 - 19:51

Hi Laura and Richard, my training has also gone a bit pear shapped I cracked my ribs on the xmas party at work (don't ask)! I also have heard about the shortage of the yellow fever, Margarita has yet to have hers so she is ringing on Monday to try and get it done.

We both have got diamox and I will be taking it has I have had altitude problems before.

Have you both done anything like this before or is your first trip to altitude?

Looking forward to meeting you aswel.

Ang :-) 

Anonymous
Mon, 12/30/2013 - 14:37

Hi guys has anybody any idea roughly how much we need to take for tips?

Ang

Anonymous
Mon, 12/30/2013 - 15:37

Hello Laura & Richard - thanks for posting on here and looking forward to meeting you in 44 DAYS!!!!

It sounds like most of us seem to be planning on using Diamox up the mountain. I am planning not to take it every day regardless, but for keeping it as an effective method of combatting the symptoms of altitude sickness if I get them. Once swallowed, they get into your system quickly - so if you are suffering, they should help you within a couple of hours. Having said that, everyone ought to try out a couple of tablets prior to the trip, just to make sure they are ok with the side-effects. We popped a couple of pills prior to tackling Cadair Idris a week or so ago, and we all needed to go to the toilet more than normal plus Nicki got the tingly fingers thing going on too. But nothing too off-putting.

Ang - my understanding is that Kili trekkers are advised to take around $200 to $250 each for tipping. I recall a section in the Stedman book about how the porters are great actors and will turn on the waterworks when you hand out the dollars, irrespective of how much you are actually handing over. So I think you just need to be happy that you have given the deserved/correct amount and try to ignore the pleas for more. Also - the important thing is to dish out the money to each porter yourself, rather than give it all to the guide and hope that he will do the honourable thing.

Cheers

Rob G

Anonymous
Mon, 12/30/2013 - 15:41

Sorry Ang - nearly forgot to check you were ok after your Xmas injury!

Hope you make a speedy recovery and it won't impact on your Kili preparations too much.

Rob G

Anonymous
Mon, 12/30/2013 - 18:45

Thanks Rob, my ribs are much better and on the mend think I will be back training after the new year.

Ang

Anonymous
Mon, 12/30/2013 - 21:15

Ang, sorry to hear about your ribs, I know it can be very painful so I hope you are on the mend.

As for tipping, exodus say that $250 should be sufficient. I guess we will just have to play it by ear in terms of how that is split out as some sites warn against giving it all to the main guide to share out.

First trip at altitude so no idea how I will manage or react. Have had a few friends experience altitude, some funny stories, some with no reaction whatsoever..... I guess it is just a case of hoping for the best and listening to the guides.

LG

Anonymous
Wed, 01/01/2014 - 00:14

Happy new year all see you all very soon

Ang & Margarita x

Anonymous
Thu, 01/02/2014 - 10:42

Hi All, my wife Claire and I are booked on this trip as well...sorry we're a bit late to the party here with the messages!  

We live just outside London so similar to a couple of the others with limited walking options (I'm also originally from Norfolk Chris and that even makes here look hilly).  We did the Inca trail last summer so have just tried to keep up with the training since then and have family up in yorkshire so hop in to the peaks whenever we can while visiting them.  

Kit wise we need to grab some final bits this weekend, we were already fairly well kitted out and its just some thermal base layers and better gloves we need to get now.  I'm also off to see the travel nurse this afternoon, although I had to have yellow fever for south america so should just be malaria tablets - I've taken Malerone a few times before and although a bit more expensive haven't had any side effects so will be going with those again.  Claire's actually allergic to eggs so can't have the yellow fever vaccine and has to get an exemption certificate instead.

I had a bit of altitude sickness in Peru, nothing major just dizzy & nauseus for half a day so am going to get Diamox, but similar to Rob will just look to use it if needed.  Claire was lucky and was one of the two people who didn't have any issues with the alititude on our last trip, although as we all know that's no guarantee this time.

Well I think that's enough info for now, looking forward to meeting you all in a few weeks! 

Anonymous
Sat, 01/04/2014 - 18:01

Hi All....wondering now about Diamox after your posts (!)..but reading the advice on the website below....think I might get some but have it in reserve maybe? Would prefer to use coca leaves if they have some as a little bit more natural (!))  On the Inca trail I didn't feel anything except some difficulty sleeping at first...but it did not last. On Annapurna basecamp trek had a headache one day before 'summitting', but felt absolutely fine walking to the base camp the next morning...a good sleep did the trick. Someone made me a little paranoid before saying we were walking too much and I was in danger...but she was talking nonsence and prob made my headache feel worse than it was (!) A healthy dutch guy did go too far however in one day trying to get to the top and had to be carried down and then helicopted off! he looked extremely ill though and was in and out of conciousness. Some interesting recent comments on the website from recent walks....all sumitting on one trip! But also having rain everyday.... wondering between Meindls and Salamons I have - the former being waterproof but very very heavy...i think Ill go for the goretex salomens and hope it doesn't rain too much! anyway, all the best. Pole! Pole!  Chris

Can you advise me about altitude medication, such as Diamox?

Diamox would need to be prescribed for you by your GP, although we have found that many doctors will not prescribe it for their patients. It can have adverse side-effects such as drowsiness, headaches, muscle cramps and some detriments to the appetite digestive system. When trekking at altitude you need to take on food and energy and this is what Diamox can take away from you if your body is not used to it! Our fully first aid trained guides do carry Diamox for emergencies, but they will never recommend taking it casually or on a daily basis. They will constantly encourage you to take the walk slowly, not to rush and to drink plenty of water - and this advice is the best way of climbing Kilimanjaro.

Tom Bowring - Africa Operations

Pages

You recently looked at