Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Kilimanjaro 5th Sept 2011

Anonymous
Thu, 03/10/2011 - 22:40

Hi,

Is any one out there attending this trip? This is my first solo trek but i m so excited...would be nice to chat to someone who is going too!

Shell x 

Anonymous
Thu, 03/10/2011 - 22:43

My invoice states departure date is 5th September but the forum options state the 6th?...I am confused, can someone clear this up?

Thanks

Shell x 

Anonymous
Tue, 03/15/2011 - 19:14

Hi Shell

I'm going on this trip with a friend but it's my first long trek - excited but a bit nervous!

Our booking says it's the 5th.. but we fly overnight and the trek starts on the 6th so maybe that's what they mean?

Turning up on the wrong day might not be the best start :-)

Christina x

Anonymous
Sun, 04/03/2011 - 01:58

Hiya Christina,

Yes i think you are right, wrong date would'nt be the best start...great to speak to someone on the same trip; have you began any training yet?...i am spending alot of time in the gym for general fitness but did my first walk up Snowdon last week, cant wait to begin the trek but i share your nerves really. I am sure we will be fine though; what an experience we face!

Kind Regards

Shell x 

Anonymous
Sun, 04/10/2011 - 20:03

Day 1 of training today!!!

I'm not doing as much as I should do, but planning to join the gym soon! Today Ailsa (my friend who's also doing the trek) and I did our first hill walk. It wasn't exactly a mountain but we were quite pleased with ourselves :-)

Plan is to do more when Ailsa's got her walking boots, maybe Snowdon like you, or Peak District. We're based in Reading so the hills aren't too high near us!

Have you got plans for more training?

C x

Anonymous
Mon, 04/18/2011 - 19:29

Hi Shell, Christina,

Really looking forward to the trip, only just figured out this website (sorry Christina, I am completely IT incompetent). Still haven't bought my walking boots, any suggestions as to what to go for?

Really looking forward to the trip, am interested in hearing what training other people are doing?

Ailsa x

Anonymous
Tue, 04/19/2011 - 21:16

Hi Girls,

think im on that trip with my friend Sally,  not our first trip, but certainly the hardest.Sadly haven't started training as yet, but ill get there in the end..

Sorry about the name i thought i could change it :-)

Hope to hear more about you all soon

James x

Anonymous
Fri, 04/29/2011 - 16:38

Hello!

Re departure date - my trip details show date leaving London as 7th Sept with walk starting on 8th! Is this the same trip?? Other details as above (Lemosho route, TYR etc)

ianmcc

Anonymous
Sun, 05/01/2011 - 19:58

Hi All!

Hope you're all enjoying the days off and practising those hill climbs!!! I need to get started on that, still stuck on Training Day 1 :-(

Ian I think you might be on a different trip; there are 2 trips, mine and Ailsa's is definitely on the 5th and is fully booked now. Our paths might cross near the top! If I get that far..

James, what trips have you done before? Any tips? Oh and by the way, you might have thought you could change your name but you still thought it was a good idea at some point haha!

How's it going Shell?

Christina x

Anonymous
Sun, 05/01/2011 - 23:12

Thanks Christina. Didn't realise there are 2 trips with such close dates. Happy training and have a successful trip!

ianmcc

Anonymous
Sun, 05/08/2011 - 08:09

Hiya Christina,

Yeah should have thought about my name first, its the name of my first cat so i use it once in a while lol...just hope it doesn't stick on the climb ;-)

The trips ive been on already are more animal and chilling based than a hike up a massive hill, Sally and i spent a month in Borneo with Orangutans, which was amazing, then ive been to Rwanda with  mountain gorillas, Safari in kenya and few working/beach trips. More like big holidays i guess.

As for tips, i suppose buying the right equipment, boots a must, wear them in too. A friend of Sallys went up Killi last month and sent us a kit list, ill send it to you if you want ? Fitness too, i still havent started training...not good lol , hows yours ??

James x

Anonymous
Mon, 05/09/2011 - 16:09

James just told me about this so i thought i would introduce myself....just realised i havent put my photo on,will do that later!..yes all set for our big adventure,where are all the lads then,James can't be the only one,we need some eye candy(apart from you of course James!)

i'm doing the London Triathlon in Aug so thats my fitness plan,but it's not all about fitness,that dreaded altitude sickness can hit anyone,for us smokers there is a head start i've been told,not that i smoke allot anyrate!

Found a great divise girls for peeing into at night, so you dont need to go outside,for all those week bladders out there,or am i the only one! 

Back at ya all....x

Anonymous
Mon, 05/09/2011 - 16:23

can't get photo on..i hate computors when you havent got a clue!!!..i'll keep trying?

Anonymous
Fri, 05/13/2011 - 22:48

Oh James, By the way, that kit list sounds like it would be useful...maybe you can post it on here?

Shell xx

Anonymous
Wed, 05/18/2011 - 17:15

I was going to do it on line as my friend says it cut's out the hassel at the airport,maybe quew's etc..one less thing to worry about when at airport and tired after flight!

Sally

Anonymous
Wed, 05/18/2011 - 22:39

Hi All,

Have just returned from a week in the sun and am now attempting to turn to serious training in preparation for this trip.

Shell - Thanks for the tip re-walking boots.

Sally - Great to hear from you, I also cannot figure out how to put a photo on, am completely IT incompetent!

James - kitlist sounds really useful, would be great if you can share it.

Christina and I are meeting up with friends this weekend who have previously climbed Kili so if we get any further tips we'll let you all know.

Take care,

Ailsa x 

Anonymous
Sun, 06/12/2011 - 19:23

Hi C,

good advice there on the yellow fever...i didnt know that...will be sure to get that  jab! i have heard so may conflicting views regarding medication to help for altitude sickness, some say people react worst and some swear by it, but my view is i am undecided so i have asked my pharmisist friend to research it for me; will let you know what she discovers.

hows the training going? i did the Welsh 3000's last weekend, covered 15 peaks in 3 days! quite tough but nevertheless a good experience and guide to my fitness too.  bad news is that this week i fell off my bike and may have fractured my wrist so this will hinder my training :( should still be able to walk though!

As for the loo, sound gross but have you heard of a Shewee? I have purchased one and they are fab! allows women to pea standing up so no dodgy crouching when peaing!! will be useful on mountain. Dirty loo roll sounds really gross; how am i ever going to cope!!

shell x 

Anonymous
Wed, 06/15/2011 - 22:05

james kemp

Anonymous
Wed, 06/15/2011 - 22:09

oops....

here the list ladies, not sure ill need tampon though...

Puffa jacket
couple of warm hats(balaclava maybe!)
two layers on legs ( i have one thermal and one running trousers)
two long sleeve tops worn when cold
two flease when cold
two gloves when cold
neck flease
light water proof jacket
water proof trousers
hand warmers..(i am)
plasters from boots..(comeed) blisters!
talc
antiseptic gel
 an extra 2 ltr container for water in pack
blow up pillow
Tampons!
That's the basic,we can look into detail's nearer the time.

still havent started training ;-(  going to make August my month

hope you all ok x

Anonymous
Fri, 06/17/2011 - 12:41

ianmcc

Re Yellow Fever, the advice I have received from health clinic is NOT to get the vaccination for Tanzania as the risks from the vaccination now outweigh the risks from the disease. (I think a vaccination certificate is only required if you're travelling from a country where YF is common.)

However, I am planning to do the Lemosho route only - advice may be different for a longer stay in Tanzania. Check the NaTHNaC website.

Anonymous
Tue, 06/28/2011 - 22:15

Ian, you have a good point regarding the Yellow Fever jab...dont compleley rule it out though, for instance we are flying to Niarobi first and on our return journey too which is a high risk area, also the NathNac suggests a risk assesment done in areas of rual or unavoidable risk to mosquito bites, which climbing a mountain, open rural terain and sleeping outdoors may just qualify? I am getting a risk assessment done as we speak...dont want to take any unnecessary chances!!

Anonymous
Tue, 06/28/2011 - 22:28

also, i forgot to mention that the NathNac states certificate of vaccination is needed if travelling from a country that is infected with Yellow Fever and i believe, Niarobi is.

Ian, you may want to ensure that your health clinic is aware of this, apologies if you have already covered this ;-0 

Anonymous

Hi all travelling on the 23rd but was reading your posts for extra tips, Just to confirm Yellow fever is mandatory for entry into Kenya. They can refuse entry or hold you and have you vaccinated on arrival at Niarobi. (been twice and know this for a fact). Have great trip all hope you all have success Gerry

Anonymous

Even if you are just passing through?

Anonymous
Wed, 07/13/2011 - 23:05

yes I am quoting from the vaccination guide " it is compulsory to have a yellow-fever vaccination in order to enter Tanzania if your coming from a country where the disease is endemic (even if you were only transiting there, assuming that you left the airport in that country for more than 12 hours).

My guide book says that they ask to see proof even if you come from a safe country, and so play safe and have one

Anonymous
Thu, 08/04/2011 - 19:33

Hi All,

Hope the training is going well.

The latest advice i have on the yellow fever jab is...the liverpool tropical school of medicine advise not to get the jab as it is not needed. Tanzania is not a high risk and just recently according to NathNac, Niarobi is no longer a high risk either therefore we are safe. just for my piece of mind, the consultant issued me with an exemption certificate. They advised that the customs in Tanzania had never challeneged the certificates (with the exception of the world cup year, where apparently there was a high number of visitors), and guarenteed I will be allowed entry. Also its worth noticing that Exodus said its is not mandatory either...  i hope they are right!

If it helps, the Liverpool School of Medicine also recommended;

Rabies, Typhoid, Hep A, Hep B, Meningitis, and all the usual tetnus, polio and childhood boosters. They also recommended i took my own surgical kit just in case i need treatment out there! They seemed slightly over precausious?

I get my final jabs on Friday.

cant wait for the trip!!!

Shell x 

You recently looked at