Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Everest Base Camp - 17 March 2012

Anonymous
Thu, 11/17/2011 - 18:44

hi, just booked everest base camp trip departing Heathrow 16th March.Really looking forward to it.Anybody else booked yet? would like to hear from you...

My latest posts

Anonymous
Thu, 12/08/2011 - 21:04

Hi MimC,

I've booked up as well. Never done anything like this before and with 14 weeks and 1 day to go, starting to get just a little bit excited !!

Anonymous
Sat, 12/17/2011 - 22:56

Nice to hear from someone else who is going on trip!!! . Havent done anything like this before either ! panicking slightly about fitness....what training are you doing?

Anonymous
Tue, 01/17/2012 - 21:02

Hi, out walking most weekends mainly on Exmoor with the odd trip to Snowdonia. Also try and squeeze in some exercise during the week. Think the big unknown will be how i react to altitude. Currently starting to get kit up together and making use of the Xmas sales. Got a £200 North Face jacket for £120 ! How are things going for you ?

Anonymous
Thu, 01/19/2012 - 14:53

hi there, trip getting closer...trying to get as much walking/gym exercise in as i possibly can. live in Edinburgh near the Pentland hills so my husband and I going out every week, have avoided munro bagging so far !! might do some nearer the time. Stopped the running..sore knees and ankles!!.Have just finished reading Jon Krakauers book ,Into thin Air, scary stuff , glad we not going any higher than Base Camp..Asked today at GP about vaccs still waiting to hear back from them...good you got down jacket so cheap....havent really got round to clothing yet ...

Anonymous
Fri, 01/27/2012 - 21:15

Hiya, Edinburgh a place that my wife and I are very fond of. Still vividly remember the night-time ghost tour we went on a few years ago, that ended up inside a tomb (Covenanter's Prison) in a churchyard !! Sounds like you are getting in some weekly mileage. 7 weeks today !!! Am aware of the book you have read and want to read it myself, but think i'll wait until i'm back home. Am currently enjoying reading the book and watching the more sedate DVDs re: Palin's 'Himalaya'. Got my 'jabs' appointment in just over a week, and sent off the application form today for Nepal Visa. I know we can get them upon arrival, but would rather have it in advance for peace of mind. Additionally and via amazon, purchased some Everest Base Camp region trekking maps that i have given to my Ma & Pa and Wife so they can follow my progress. It was great fun recently running through the itinerary and following the route on the maps with them, and makes it more real for them. Big priority this weekend is sorting out kit requirements.......oh and training !  :)

Anonymous
Thu, 02/09/2012 - 19:00

hi there nice to hear from you again....beginning to think we are the only 2 people going on this trip where are all the others!!!

got my jabs last week...hep A typhoid, diptheria ,tetanus and polio. Discussed the diamox ,think Ill give it a miss...too many conflicting stories. havent sorted out clothes yet, difficult deciding what to take think its going to be very cold early morn and evening but warm during the day. bought a new 25L air zone rucksack...frame sits off your back.Will fill it up this weekend and head off into the hills to try it out. Havent settled on boots either cant decide which ones to take,summer or winter ....or both!!! Lots still to do and not much time left....How are you getting on ? you sound a bit more organized!!!

Anonymous
Sat, 02/18/2012 - 16:43

A bit late in joining this forum but better late than never, been a bit busy since booking this trip however have been reading your posts with interest, like yourselves never tackled anything like this before and looking forward to it.  I'm located in Monifieth just on the outskirts of Dundee so not too far from the Angus and Perthshire hills although been doing a bit of gym work as well.  All vaccinations up to date and just a couple items of kit to get, was a little undecided in relation to down jacket or layering but decided to go for a layering system. Daughter and husband also going on this trip and no doubt they will be posting soon, they are doing a fair bit of their walking in the Pentlands at the moment as they are located just outside Edinburgh so there appears to be a reasonable Scottish contingent on this trip, looking forward to meeting you all. 

Anonymous
Sun, 02/19/2012 - 11:55

Hi MimC and Andy13, good to hook up with someone new. 4 weeks today !!! Received my complimentary kit bag from Exodus last weekend and having re-read trip notes in which it states 12kg baggage max for the trek, thinking carefully about how much clothing i take. That's my only dilemna at the moment. Also read a lot about Diamox and decided to leave it as seems to work for some and make things worse for others. Have not been able to get out walking for a couple of weekends, so need to make the next few weeks count although i'm thinking that if i'm not fit enough now i'll never be fit enough for the trek ! Spending time re-visiting the trip notes etc to make sure i haven't missed anything. Cheers, Kev.

Anonymous
Tue, 02/21/2012 - 19:07

Hello Kev and Andy13, nice to hear from someone else going on trip.....getting worried there was only 2 of us going!!! Andy I have done most of my training , walking in the Pentland Hills I live in Balerno and they are on the doorstep, I wonder If I have unknowingly crossed paths with your husband and daughter!!!    Getting really excited now, also very nervous as Im travelling solo .Exodus have booked my flight from Edinburgh around 1pm on the Friday,worried that doesnt leave me enough time if any hold ups and Heathrows a big place!!! Looking at what Ive got so far I seem to have, mostly winter gear and the daytime temps can get up to the 20s ....back to the drawing  board!  Kev, what you said about fitness is true but my husband continues to drag me up the hills, we were out in Stirling intheOchils today ...weather was soooo miserable, couldnt see a thing, cloud very low , got soaked!! lots of huffing and puffing from me....dont think Ill ever be fit enough! Speak soon....MimC x

Anonymous
Thu, 02/23/2012 - 19:51

Hi MimC, Exodus were unable to get us on a flight from Edinburgh so we're having to go to Glasgow however our flight time is near 5pm, so will be a bit of a rush on arrival at Heathrow,  Think your winter gear will serve you well especially in the higher areas and a couple of tee shirts for the lower levels.  My daughter stays in Linlithgow and I know she and her husband have had a few walks in the Pentlands.  Out in the Perthshire hills for a walk yesterday, visibility pretty poor and winds of up to 80mph, not good for hanging about in.  Cheers Andy 

Anonymous
Thu, 02/23/2012 - 23:07

Just to check - my flight leaves Edinburgh at 13:05 on Fri 16th, arriving Kathmandu 11:45 on 17th. Looks like we might not be meeting up until we get to the hotel?

Anonymous
Fri, 02/24/2012 - 16:53

Hi Maureen, looks like that will be the case and we wont meet up until we reach Kathmadu, we depart Heathrow at 2050 on 16th and eventually arrive in Kathmadu at 1455 on 17th.   

Anonymous
Fri, 02/24/2012 - 18:25

hi, yes I checked my flights with Exodus today, Im the only one not on the group flight !!!!! my flight leaves Heathrow 1635 arriving Kathmandu 1145 next day.

Anonymous
Wed, 03/07/2012 - 18:56

well, everyone packed ready to go???

Anonymous
Thu, 03/08/2012 - 22:29

Sounds like a good group from all the comments above! My wife Shona & I live just north of Glasgow and so will be adding further to the Scottish contingent. We're flying out a day later than the rest of the group I think and arriving in Kathmandu on the afternoon of the 18th and look forward to meeting everybody then. This will be our 4th Exodus trip and 2nd time in Nepal but really looking forward to getting so close to Everest. 

Hope everyone's preparation is going well. See you in 10 days time!

Murray

Anonymous
Thu, 03/08/2012 - 22:32

Bit late joining in the chat. I am a Scot (from Dundee) living in Aberystwyth in West Wales so plenty of hills  around here for training. Went to Snowdonia with my wife  a few weeks ago and it was very cold (minus 10C) at the top so good practice. Looking forward to the trip and busy packing, unpacking and repacking.  Can't decide on how much winter gear to take given the supposed high temps in the lower hills. What's everyone else doing?

Anonymous
Fri, 03/16/2012 - 16:11

Well, not sure could have left it much later to join! At glasgow airport with hubby and dad about to start the 1st leg of the journey. Look forward to meeting you all soon, happy travels!

You recently looked at