Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Everest and Gokyo Lakes - departing 2nd November 2011

Anonymous
Thu, 08/25/2011 - 23:33

Hi all

I'm booked to go to Everest and Gokyo Lakes departing on 2nd November 2011. Is anyone else booked on this trip? Very excited about going! Anyone got any good tips?

Emily

Anonymous
Tue, 08/30/2011 - 08:57

Hello Emily

Hi Emily 

I am going on this trip, I am excited as the scenery will be awesome but I'm also feeling a bit apprehensive at the moment.

I am feeling a bit nervous about it as I have not started any training as yet and am also a bit concerned about the cold at night!

I am going to Mount Kailash next week, so I'm hoping that will give me a good experience of high altitude trekking, however Gokyo lakes will be alot tougher.

How are you preparing for Gokyo?

Kind regards

Kamal

Anonymous
Wed, 09/07/2011 - 23:11

Dids - thank you for the advice! It's so hard to get hill practice in. I live in Hampshire, England and there aren't a lot of big hills around! Will take some poles :)

Kamal - get training! I climbed Kilimanjaro last year and the only thing that helps is walking, walking and more walking! It doesn't hurt to be fit e.g. running, cycling, swimming but try and get a few long walks in before you go e.g. 5-6 hours. I was doing some running over the summer but currently walking twice a week. Kili was cold but a 4 season sleeping bag (with a hood) will serve you well. I have a synthetic bag (half the price of a down bag) and found this to be sufficient. Make sure you have some thermals with you. I am taking 2 sets of tops and bottoms. You can wear these at night along with socks, gloves and a hat!

I can't wait to go now!

Sun, 09/18/2011 - 14:47

You will be advised to wear a hat pretty much all the time, as it helps with altitude sickness (don't ask me how!).  So, it helps to have a spare hat unless you want yours surgically detached at the end of your trek.  To reiterate Emily's point, running, cycling and any form of intensive cardio help if you can't hit the hills.  Oh, and you MUST have sunglasses to protect against the uv glare.

Anonymous
Mon, 10/10/2011 - 19:19

Thank you for the advise everyone, very much appreciated!

Not long to go now! Anyone else booked on? They said there were 9 of us and one other holding a space. I'm travelling with my Dad.

Anonymous
Wed, 10/12/2011 - 20:00

We got our final trip info through today! So excited. We also have confirmation that we have Pasang! Good stuff!

Sat, 10/15/2011 - 05:02

Rob

Sat, 10/15/2011 - 05:10

Hi all,

I've just returned from Nepal and have some Nepali currency that I missed changing at the airport. R2500 (plus a few smaller notes) - would be useful on arrival for tips, beer etc. At current rate about £20, but call it £15 to get rid of it. I'm in Loughborough if anyone is close, although I can post.

You recently looked at