Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Zambia Canoe Safari

Anonymous
Mon, 06/08/2009 - 13:44

I'd be interested to get in touch with anyone else booked on this trip.  I'm travelling on my own but have been on plenty of similar trips before. I've also been to Zambia a few times before, although I've never done a canoe safari.  I might be able to help out if anyone has any questions about weather, visas, what to bring etc.

After the trip I'm heading up to South Luangwa for a week.

Anonymous
Fri, 07/03/2009 - 20:50

Hi. I am also on this trip. It will be the first time that I have done something like this, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Russ

Anonymous
Tue, 07/14/2009 - 14:41

Hi fellow intrepid canoeists/canoers/paddlers (?!)

Only 44 days to go and counting. I'm starting to get excited about the upcoming wilderness canoe experience! Am also travelling alone. I've done a bit of paddling before but never in an environment involving crocodiles! Just wondering if anyone knows how cold it's likely to get at night? Just cos I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to chilly nights! look forward to meeting y'all.- JCookie

Anonymous
Tue, 07/14/2009 - 21:41

Hi there,

How are you all? Hope everyones well. Im travelling on my own so just seeing if anyone else is travelling down to London from Scotland. Never done anything like this before but to say Im excited is a bit of an understatement.  Whats the weather like at night, is it really that cold? In regards to visas I was told we can pick one up when we arrive in Zambia?

Anonymous
Tue, 07/21/2009 - 22:05

Just wondering if well get to fish while were on the trip. The Zambezi is famous for tiger fish and i was toying with taking wi rod? Its a telescopic rod and fits in my rucksack. Mind you if I land one of these bad boys I might need a hand landing it.

Anonymous
Tue, 07/21/2009 - 23:20

I can certainly give you a hand devouring it, but landing it?? Just how big are those babies??

Anonymous
Tue, 07/21/2009 - 23:29

Ay Caramba! Yes, i understand, it would certainly be bad karma to eat something like that!!!

Anonymous
Tue, 07/21/2009 - 23:37

yes def on the karma. Especially with all the animals that could eat me over there. So you excited yet?

Anonymous
Wed, 07/22/2009 - 09:16

Are you kidding? 36 days and 23 hours...

Anonymous
Wed, 07/22/2009 - 10:46

On the fishing front, I think we'll have a lot of time to relax in the middle of the day, as we'll be paddling first thing and then late in the afternoon so I reckon you'll have time.  It just depends if one of the guides will be able to help you out finding a good (and safe!) spot.  You could ask Exodus to give you the details of the local company and email them to ask.  Or if the rod isn't big, just take a chance and bring it.

I can't wait either, although I'm getting a bit worried about this swine flu.  A couple of my friends have got it and I'm hoping I don't go down with it just before the trip.  Perhaps I should go and cosy up to someone who's got it so I can get it out of the way now!

Anonymous
Mon, 08/03/2009 - 21:04

Hi there, I wouldn't mind having a go for a Tiger Fish! Not sure if I would take my own gear though. On the intinary for day 5 I notice there is a visit to fishing village, there might be a chance to do something there.

Also, does anyone know if we need to bring our own mosquito nets? I can't see them mentioned in the trip notes.

Anonymous
Thu, 08/06/2009 - 17:05

Hi All,

was just thinking, since it's gonna be such a relaxing, leisurely trip(?) has anyone thought of bringing along anything to while away the hours? Apart from a good book of course. I'll bring some playing cards, but am rubbish at remembering any card games! Anyone interested in travel scrabble- or is that likely to lead to rivalry and tantrums (or is that just me?). See y'all soon!

Anonymous
Tue, 08/11/2009 - 20:17

Hi Dawn and Russ

I'm booked on the trip too, picking up the flight in Heathrow and am also travelling on my own. I've not been to Zambia (or any part of Africa) before so if you've got any top tips on kit or equipment that would be really helpful. Have not done a safari before but I do a wee bit of canoeing - though I'm not sure pootling up and down off the beach here at Portobello is adequate preparation for the Zambezi!!!

Kind regards for now,

Pauline

Anonymous
Tue, 08/11/2009 - 21:57

Hey Pauline, I take it your from Edinburgh. Im in Hamilton, only 30mins up the road. You looking forward to the trip. How you getting down to Heathrow. Im flying from Glasgow,  Does anyone know what happens at Heathrow - are  we advised of  a place to meet or do we just meet at the boarding cue for the Nairobi? Itll be a case of spot the nervous but excited looking folk. Anyone else feel like a pin cushion with the amount vaccinations theyve had.?

Anonymous
Tue, 08/11/2009 - 22:12

Hiya all,

well, i know I'm a culprit cos no-one could recognise me from my tiny profile pic, but it would be good to look out for each other at check-in. I have the day off on the Fri and only live in Oxfordshire, so will probably get to heathrow quite early. Why wait at home when you could be embarking on holiday eh?!

Unbelievably, still getting more excited at this rate I'll be a wreck before we start!

Jules. 

Anonymous
Tue, 08/11/2009 - 22:59

ill prob be easy to spot as ill have my stupid safari hat on. my mate was telling me about the honey badger, its officially the hardest animal in africa. i watched a few videos of it on youtube, scary animals. imagine the british badger but with a mohican. not to be messed with.

Anonymous
Tue, 08/11/2009 - 23:19

I'll wear my safari hat too, we can look  a right pair of eegits. See ya there!

Anonymous
Tue, 08/11/2009 - 23:51

whats everyone doing about their visas. Has anyone got theirs yet or are we all just getting them at Lusaka Airport?

Anonymous
Tue, 08/11/2009 - 23:54

Was planning to get visa on arrival. I don't think it should be a problem if we take the right money in US$ I guess. J

Anonymous
Tue, 08/11/2009 - 23:56

cool ill go with that, at least if i dont get into the country there will be someone there to keep me company

Anonymous
Wed, 08/12/2009 - 11:08

Great idea, I'll see you in wetherspoons, T4, on the 28th!

Anonymous
Wed, 08/12/2009 - 21:11

Blimey, I didn't realise that we might encounter Honey Badgers on this trip...I'm having second thoughts now! ;-)

I was going to get a visa on the plane as well, it seems fairly straight forward, but you will need a couple of passport photos as well as the cash.

Anonymous
Wed, 08/12/2009 - 22:02

I've been to Zambia a few times an you don't need any photos. 

Anonymous
Sun, 08/16/2009 - 11:49

Hi guys, just catching up on recent messages. I'm up for meeting at Weatherspoons, T4, Heathrow - I refuse to wear my hat but for the first time in my life will be wearing lots of BEIGE!!! Well, they say it happens to everyone at a certain point in life! Re travelling down from Scotland, I'm getting the sleeper the night before and spending the day pottering around London. Re kit, I've looked out a big dry bag for my kit and got one of those wee see-through aquapac pouches for my camera which claims to be suitable for use underwater - don't plan on putting that to the test! I was swithering about whether to take proper waterproofs (bulky and sweaty) or one of those waterproof ponchos (pack small but you look like a prat). Anyway, getting pretty excited now. 

Pauline

Anonymous
Sun, 08/16/2009 - 12:34

I think rain at that time of year is extremely unlikely.  I guess if the poncho is small there's no harm in bringing it but anything more would be overkill.  I don't intend on bringing any waterproof clothing, but I have to pack light as my flight down to South Luangwa afterwards has a 12 or 15kg luggage allowance.

Anonymous
Wed, 08/19/2009 - 22:21

passport photos - maybe I should read the trip notes instead of going by what my mate reckons! The trip is getting close now and i'm getting really excited! Hope to meet some you in the pub at the airport. What time will people be getting there?

Anonymous
Fri, 08/28/2009 - 00:22

hi everyone-anyone still up? I cant sleep through excitment. Just wondering what evrryones doing for money. Ive got a mixture of US dollars and Sterling but I was wondering if I should take some  kwacha aswell? Ive also been reading the trip notes again and not sure if my bags to big, got about 10kilos but its in a rucksack. To big? Or am I just thinking to much about the trip.

Anonymous
Fri, 08/28/2009 - 09:51

You won't be able to get Kwatcha in the UK.  I've just got $.  I've only just read the bit about 10kgs of luggage in the Trip Notes.  I've no idea how much my bag weighs but I'd be surprised if it was less than 10kg- I've got another week's holiday to go after the canoe trip!  I'd take a guess mine's about 12kg so not much over.

Anyway, I've got one last day in the office to get through...........

Anonymous
Fri, 08/28/2009 - 10:07

yikes, just weighed mine- around 14kg. Don't think I've got any non-essentials. Cant ditch the camera or binoculars for sure!

See you later!

Anonymous
Fri, 08/28/2009 - 10:09

Oh, I reckon mine's 12ish but that's not including the camera equipment (or any hand luggage)!!  It's probably more like 15 in total.

Anonymous

Well it's monday morning again. Although I feel rather more secure on my office chair than in a canoe, I know where I'd rather be!!!

Hope all got home safe and well.

Cheers, Jules

You recently looked at