Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Who else is doing this trip? I know at least 7 of you are out there!

Anonymous
Wed, 05/13/2009 - 09:47

Hi, Just wondering who else has let themselves in for this torture (oops, sorry), experience of a lifetime?! Departs UK on 19th August, starts in Tanzania on 20th.

Be nice to make contact if you're looking in!

Jane

Sun, 05/17/2009 - 21:57

Yep, me too.  Looking forward to a challenge!

Wendy

Anonymous
Mon, 05/18/2009 - 15:47

Hi Wendy

Good to hear from someone else going on the trip? Have you done anything like this before? I've not and am not really sure what I've let myself in for, particularly after reading accounts on the internet. Am sure it will be an adventure and a half! Are you doing any special training? I've been trying to get fitter but it just doesn't seem to be happening at the moment.

Jane

Tue, 05/19/2009 - 20:01

Hi Jane

No, not done anything like this - just needed a challenge!  Not too worried about fitness as I do a bit of running.  I am concerned about alitude sickness though.  It's costing a fortune to get all the kit together.  Are you going with someone? 

Wendy

Anonymous
Tue, 05/19/2009 - 20:37

Hi Wendy

No I'm doing this trip alone, nobody I know is as impulsive as me, was done on a whim! Are you travelling alone? When I booked there was one other female travelling alone, a guy on his own, 2 guys & 1 female travelling together. Since then 2 more have booked. Think thats 8. Agree with you re cost of equipment, have got some stuff already, have been buying some things in end of season sales and today hired the big things that I'm never likely to use again. I'm thinking of doing the days hiking with Trekhire mainly for the tuition re clothing, packing, what to expect etc etc.

Jane

Wed, 05/20/2009 - 19:49

Hi Jane

Doing it alone as well - glad to hear there is someone out there as impulsive!  Haven't managed to get to any of the slide show evenings so not had any advice as such.  Just bought a sleeping bag - toastiness at night is a priority!

Wendy

Anonymous
Fri, 05/29/2009 - 10:38

Hi Wendy

Its finally hit home with me that I need to do something urgent re fitness! Three months today we'll have finshed the hike completely (hopefully!). Am going with some friends up Snowdon this w/e but, given its only just over a 1,000m, thats only a 6th of the height. I'm in real trouble if I get altitude sickness on the top of Snowdon!! Weather looks great so views should be fabulous.

Jane

Wed, 06/10/2009 - 21:11

Hi Jane

Well done on Snowdon - was it a good trip?  Friends of mine did it recently as well.  My fitness has taken a back seat recently, need to do something soon!

Are you getting the Tanzania visa before we go?

Wendy

Anonymous
Thu, 06/11/2009 - 20:54

Hi Wendy, yes we had a great trip up Snowdon, it was a hot w/e and the views were amazing....that was 2 weeks ago and I've done no exercise since! I think about it a lot though! Not sure about the visa, probably will get it here then thats one more thing sorted. Went on safari about 5 years ago and sent off for my visa here and it came back within 5 days, on the other hand the pound is stronger against the dollar and it would be cheaper to get it there!

Jane

Wed, 07/01/2009 - 21:43

Hi Jane

Getting a bit close now, getting excited!

Sent off for visa.  How's the fitness?  I haven't run for over a month now, really need to get going this week.

Wendy

Anonymous
Fri, 07/03/2009 - 16:15

Hi Wendy

Am panicking a bit about fitness but that doesn't seem to motivate me, am struggling a bit on that front! Have got my passport back today with the visa in so thats another thing sorted. My biggest issue is clothing.....can't decide what t-shirts/trousers I need. I'd also like to see the size of the bag.....am sure it'll not be big enough for me!

Jane

Fri, 07/03/2009 - 19:11

Hi Jane

Worried about what to take as well.  Probably going to go minimal but plenty of deodrant and dry hair shampoo!  My sleeping mat doesn't fit in rucksack or suitcase, hoping will fit in kit bag.  Also wondering about money and tips for porters.  Are you a long way from Heathrow?  I'm in Bucks so not too far.

Wend

Thu, 07/09/2009 - 19:42

Hi Jane

Got visa.  Undecided on the diamox - may take some with me as treatment rather than prophylaxis - let me know how you get on with trial!  Have to work this weekend but intend on starting running next week - have had back problem this week so that's a bit of a worry.  Found a "loo facilities on kili" thing on youtube - kinda wish I hadn't seen it - guess will get over that quite quickly though!

Wendy

Thu, 08/06/2009 - 20:06

Hi Jane

How did the Diamox trial go?  I think I'm pretty much sorted now including 4 family size bags of Minstrels!  Need to do a trial pack - 20kg allowance is not a lot.  You all ready?

Wendy

Anonymous
Fri, 08/07/2009 - 19:37

Hi Wendy

I only took 1 tablet and didn't notice any side effects from that so guess its ok for me so far! 4 family size bags of minstrels.......if I had those in the house I'd eat them! I've gone for healthier stuff (boring, and which is why its still uneaten), I wasn't sure how the chocolate would survive the warm temperatures initially, might just sneak some in tho! Am also going to have a practice pack next w/e when I should have all my stuff....few things short at present . If you'd like to email me off here, you could use this address jane02@hotmail.co.uk

Jane

You recently looked at