Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

kilimanjaro

Anonymous
Sun, 05/10/2009 - 18:12

hi i am just wondering if anybody else is doing this climb the same time as me it would be great to get in touch and support each other

Anonymous
Tue, 05/12/2009 - 19:21

Hi - there is another thread called 'kili climb' going for this one - but at the moment just me and one other - Diljit - are on there. You might want to jump over to that one - we have exchanged some details of travel etc. so you could catch up.

Anonymous
Thu, 05/14/2009 - 10:16

i dont know if we are on the same climb we depart london on friday and start our climb on the sunday you seem to be starting your climb on the tuesday let us know

Anonymous
Tue, 05/19/2009 - 11:12

Look's like different treks - although I'm surprised they are so close together. Mine has the three day safari option at the end, does yours?

Anonymous

Hi.  I've signed up for this one and be pleased to chat.  Take a look at ColumbusDirect.com for alternative travel insurance, they offer cover very comparable and often better cover than the Exodux insurance link; you can select a 'high altitude walking' option.

Also, for the Visa, go to the Tanzanian High Commission website where you can download an application form and deal direct for £38 without the additional £25 fee. 

Alan

Anonymous
Wed, 07/01/2009 - 22:56

hi alan good to hear u are climbing how is your training goiing thank yo also for the links

Anonymous
Sun, 07/05/2009 - 22:51

I recently received a couple of tips from someone who did the same route with Exodux last year. Firstly, It can be very dusty during the 4x4 vehicle transfers. Secondly, The climb is not serviced with sealed bottled water and it is advisable to take a water sterilisation kit.

Do note that Exodus has a 10% discount deal with Ellis Brigham for kit 

My current training is a regular schedule of exercise, walking and cycling.     Alan

Anonymous
Tue, 07/14/2009 - 15:42

Hi there, am doing a kili rongai/zanibar trip earlier in the month but thought I'd check out your thread for any advice. Much obliged for the water sterilisation pack tip.

:-)

Anonymous
Mon, 08/03/2009 - 13:30

hi alan and all in our group just wondering how your training is going and what your doing about sleeping bags

Anonymous
Sun, 08/16/2009 - 22:35

Hi guys, I'm flying out on the 25th Sept. Is anyone doing the same trip?

Trying to get everything together and realising I have hardly done anything! I'm gonna hire a sleeping bag as they sound pretty good for £25 and to buy a really good one seems a lot. Just bought my boots which cost a bomb but are well comfy!

Would be good to hear from people on the same trip

Steve

Anonymous
Mon, 08/17/2009 - 01:32

good to hear you are going on the trip myself and a friend of mine Darren are also travelling how is your training going ....still havent decided what im going to do about a sleeping bag but leaning towards hiring one and buying a liner... keep in touch

Anonymous
Sun, 08/30/2009 - 17:01

Hi mate,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been doing the Amalfi Coast trip the last week for a bit of pre-training and it was really good, lots of good work for the legs and getting the boots worn in.

I'd definitely recommend hiring a sleeping bag as it's a lot cheaper and they said it is rated to -10c for comfort and -18c for extreme, plus it comes with a liner. I've just bought my poles off ebay, only £13 - a lot cheaper than I'd seen in the shops and they're £8 to hire so thought I might as well get my own. Kind of fretting about the rest of the stuff though, like what kind of thermals/fleeces and stuff to buy. Still a while to sort it out though.

How old are you guys out of interest? I'm 24 myself

Anonymous
Mon, 08/31/2009 - 06:51

hi steve lucky you back from the almafi coast ..i am 39 and daren is in his early 40s am going to rent a sleeping bag cannot believe the cost of buying one i had my yellow fever vaccanation last week but had a reaction to it so left me down for about five days so no training begining to fel better now so hopefully get back to doing a bit of training this week ...i believe the whole trip is booked up so im told there are 8 men and three women so looking forward to meeting up and having a great experience...keep in touch

martin

Anonymous
Mon, 08/31/2009 - 08:55

yes am definetly taking it want to give myself every chance to get to the top lol..as concerns vaccanation nurse said that 25% of people get the same symptoms as i did...but am beggining to feel a lot better now do you live in london or will you have to travel far to get to heathrow...

Anonymous
Mon, 08/31/2009 - 12:22

Ah cool

Have you found any good deals on clothing? I've been looking around and it all seems so expensive

Anonymous
Mon, 08/31/2009 - 13:14

everything is so expensive !! got my down jacket on e-bay for £70 and a few other things from nomad store as we get a 15% discount  and borrowed a few things but i cannot believe how much the trip is working out at ...and then at the end we have to tip the porters and guides looking at some of the blogs thta is another big expense ...still am really looking forward to it not many people on our trip are using the forum which is strange compared to other trips ...but hopefully there all nice people ..lol

Anonymous
Mon, 08/31/2009 - 17:50

Yeh does add up to a lot.

Not sure why no one else is on here, maybe they are technically challenged haha. What jacket did you get?

Anonymous
Wed, 09/02/2009 - 07:25

gaot a noke down jacket x-large even tough im not that size told to get it because of all the extra layers but its massive lol..stll feeling a bit shitty from the jabs ..but going to the embassy on tuesday to get my visa one less thing to worry about ...

Anonymous
Wed, 09/02/2009 - 21:14

I'm going to check out some jackets at the weekend at Cotswold Outdoor. I told them I'm doing my climb for charity (Alzheimer's) and they gave me 20% off of my boots and anything else I wanted! Pretty sweet

I handed in my Visa application today, was well quick and there was hardly anyone there!

Anonymous
Mon, 09/07/2009 - 22:30

Yes, I'm alone on this one and looking forward to meeting up with the rest of the team. Together we can do this. Daniela told me we are 9 men and 3 women on this trip; but they won't publish a list of who they are - confidentiality issue.  Where in Kent are you Steve?   Alan

Anonymous
Tue, 09/08/2009 - 07:45

I'm in Orpington. Yeh I was told the same thing but was given a rough demographic, it's a nice mix really and I'm glad there's people around the same age as me as I'm 24.

I got the kit bag the other day, do we have to use it or is it just complimentary? Because I'd rather use a rucksack type bag I think, be easier to carry

Anonymous
Tue, 09/08/2009 - 23:56

Check the trip Notes Steve,  the kitbag is for your stuff which porters will carry for you and needs to a standard pack and not exceed a certain weight.  Alan

Anonymous

Hi guys, i'm john and i'm flying out of heathrow on friday 25th sept to climb kili on the rongai route. I think it's the same trip as you guys so if it is...pleased to meet you! Had my yellow fever jab today and as yet i feel good, yay!!

Let me know if it's the same trip as you guys and i'll look out for you all at the airport!

Anonymous
Tue, 09/15/2009 - 07:45

Yeh mate, it's the same trip :) Whereabouts you from?

Can't believe it's just 10 days until we go now, seems like I've still got so much to sort out! Anyone else doing it for charity? I'm raising money for Alzheimer's for my nan, should be an extra motivation for me!

Steve

Anonymous
Wed, 09/16/2009 - 12:40

Hi Everybody,

Want to wish you all a fantastic trip.  Been looking at your comments which have been very helpful -

many thanks.  I and a friend fly out on 3rd October, do the short safari and then go fo it on Kili.

Caroline

Anonymous
Sat, 09/19/2009 - 15:54

That's fantastic i'm pleased that i've found some other people that are climbing this mole hill lol!

I'm from Grimsby which is on the east coast so i'm getting the train down to heathrow on friday...i can't beleive it's nearly time to go :-)

Can i ask you guys how much money you are taking with you to spend and are you taking US dollars?

John

Anonymous
Sat, 09/19/2009 - 16:04

Sorry mate i forgot to mention that i'm raising money for the british heart foundation

:-)

Anonymous
Sun, 09/20/2009 - 13:18

Hi guys,

Sorry to hear you were still feeling unwell Alan, hope you're all good now. Only 5 days to go, it doesn't seem real yet!

Not sure about money. It says $50-$80 in the trip notes so think I'll stick to that, how much did you take Kev? Thanks for all your advice. What was the weather like?

I'm gonna go down to Cotswold again soon to try get the last bits of stuff, still seems like so much to do. I always leave stuff to the last minute, I think I like the pressure!

Anonymous
Sun, 09/20/2009 - 17:56

Hi Sparkes, if you are referring to tips, we all put in $80 each and believe me the guides and porters are worth every penny! Most of our group also gave extra tips to their personal porters and guides that offered extra help. They were all very pleased with the tips, although one guide tried tapping us for a bit more apparently to help his daughter through education. The weather for us was superb with every day being hot and sunny. The nights were cold and we woke most mornings to frost and ice. Views were magnificent! Although the water is boiled it can still have a nasty taste. I fitted a water filter (£45) to my camelbak and the water was perfect so justified the cost. Despite blowing back down the tube on summit night the mouthpiece and tube froze which left me to drink from a spare bottle I had. The taste was yeeeuk! U S Dollars are accepted everywhere although I did change some to Tanzanian Shillings. Get small notes because that helps with tips...trust me...everyone in Tanzania expects a tip, even if they only carry your luggage 2 metres!! LOL Please feel free to ask for any more advice. Cheers, Kev.

Anonymous
Mon, 09/21/2009 - 16:46

Thanks for your tips Kev and well done mate on your climb, lets hope our group is as successful eh.

Well i think i'm ready for this challenge but i'm sure there will be something that i need when i get there. I'm like you sparkes leaving things till last minute, somehow feels better lol.

Do you wanna look out for each other at heathrow and grab a coffee before the flight guys??

John

Anonymous
Mon, 09/21/2009 - 22:04

What you guys doing for your main bag then? I know we've gotta take the Exodus one but I'm thinking I might leave it empty and try and fit it in my large rucksack to use when we get there as I don't really fancy carrying it around plus it will be hard to recognise them if everyone uses them as their main bag! What did you do Kev?

Good idea to meet up mate. Anyone on Facebook?

Steve

Anonymous
Mon, 09/21/2009 - 22:46

You had the same idea as me steve, i'm gonna try and put my rucksack into the big black bag for when it goes on the plane and then take it out on the other end.

I tried on all my clothes today which i'll be wearing on the summit climb...wow!! it's quite hard to move about with somany layers on but i'm sure when we're up there in the freezing cold it'll be a godsend!

I'm on facebook mate...john tomlinson...

Anonymous
Tue, 09/22/2009 - 08:25

Hi Sparkes, I put my 30 litre rucksack in the Exodus bag with most of my walking gear and the rest in one of those pull along cases as hand luggage. Worked a treat. To be honest you don't really see much of your Exodus bag other than check in an baggage collection, the rest of the time the porters carry it. One thing I will say though, those that hired sleeping bags were shocked at the size of them! Quite bulky...taking up about 50% of the Exodus bag space.

Anonymous
Tue, 09/22/2009 - 13:18

The bag is packed and i am ready to roll, just gotta put the toothbrush in friday morning. Can't wait now getting really really excited, just wanna get there now and conquer!!

I've requested your facebook profile Steve so we'll get that sorted then i can look out for ya at the airport and grab a beer :-) 

Anonymous
Tue, 09/22/2009 - 13:53

That's a bit annoying about the hired sleeping bags as I've hired one myself, nevermind!

Can't believe you've packed already mate, I still have some stuff to buy! I've added you on Facebook, think I'll stick to water at the airport though ;)

Anonymous
Tue, 09/22/2009 - 14:05

Nice one, I'd go tomorrow if i could haha.

I've got it all packed but i know i'll be getting it all out on friday morning to double check i've got everything! Changed some money yesterday so that's another job done, just need to get some batteries and snacks and hey presto, done. I don't even wanna add up everything i've spent on this trip cos i know it's a small fortune but i keep telling myself it's a once in a lifetime experience and you can't take it with ya so might aswell spend it!

Did you get any sponsorship from local companies to help with your equipment?

Anonymous
Tue, 09/22/2009 - 14:10

I know what you mean, I've spent so much money on stuff I really don't want to know what the grand total would be!

I didn't get any sponsorship for that no, you? I've had a lot of help from my company, Capita though with organising various things. The total will be well over £1,000 once it's all in which I'm really pleased with :)

Anonymous
Tue, 09/22/2009 - 15:08

its good to see everyone is getting excited ...just went to get the last few things got home and then remembered other stuff i needed to get lol...looking forward to meeting you guys at the airport and will seek you all out in facebook now

Anonymous
Tue, 09/22/2009 - 15:15

john found 399 of you on facbook which one are you lol

Anonymous
Thu, 09/24/2009 - 18:03

Hi guys,

Any good tips about water treatment.  Iodine or Chlorinr or nothing????????

Thanks.

Caroline

Anonymous
Thu, 09/24/2009 - 21:16

Hi guys.  I'm packed and ready to go. I've put the Exodus bag inside my travel bag. Handy to have a second one to leave any stuff you don't need on the climb at the hotel for the return.  Look out for you at the airport.  Alan

You recently looked at