Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Kili climb

Anonymous
Wed, 04/29/2009 - 21:17

Hi all.

Any one heading out on the climb on the 29th? be nice to hear from you and share some tips for the preparation of the climb.

My 1st climb very exciting and scary. Be great to chat to others in our party.

Anonymous
Fri, 05/01/2009 - 15:56

Hi - if you mean starting the trek on 29th Sept, then I'm booked on that one. I fly from the UK on Sunday 27th. I made a post last week (or thought I did), but haven't seen it on the board yet. It would be great to hear back from you,  John

Anonymous
Sun, 05/03/2009 - 22:04

Hello John. Yeah re the climb starting on the 29th. We will be flying out on the 27th as well. Are you travelling alone or with others? Are you an experienced climber or novice? I am travelling with 2 others and none of us have climbed before. How are you preparing for the climb? Be good to share a few tips with you.

Diljit

Anonymous
Mon, 05/04/2009 - 12:24

Hi Diljit,

I will be travelling by myself - I've done Kili before 4 years ago and couldn't persuade any of my mates to join me this time. I'm going again as I failed at Gilman's point on the last trip and promised myself that I would return better prepared.

Anonymous
Mon, 05/04/2009 - 16:14

Hi John, I'm not actually on this trip but on the Shira route in August. However, I'd be interested in what you mean by "betterprepared". My assumpton is that you didn't make it because of aktitude sickness, if so, how will you be preparing for that this time? I'm doing some specific fitness training but am always open to tips from those that have been there previously!

Jane

Anonymous
Mon, 05/04/2009 - 18:24

Hi John, Did you find it hard to due the altitude or was it other things? If so how can you prepare better for altitude sickness? we are all doing stamina training do you recommend anything else. Would appreciate the advice.

Which airline are you booked on? We are traveling on BA to Nairobi and then Kenya to Kili.

Anonymous
Thu, 05/07/2009 - 09:05

Diljit, I'm also going via Nairobi but on Kenya Airways from Heathrow T4 - flight is overnight, arriving Kili at 9am on Monday 28th.

Anonymous
Wed, 08/05/2009 - 18:41

Diljit, it's getting close now and I haven't seen any body else in the cafe on our trip. I was just wondering how the preparation is going?

Anonymous
Wed, 08/05/2009 - 21:42

Hi John,

Hope your well and the training is going well.

As part of my prep I have just climbed Mt Snowdon on the weekend, and will climb B.Nevis on the 25th Aug and finally Scawfell on the 9th Sept.How about yourself?

Diljit

Anonymous
Thu, 08/06/2009 - 07:26

Hi Diljit,

I did Helvelyn last week and will be doing the yorkshire 3-peak challenge next weekend with a team from work, then need to find one more in early September. Also doing plenty of running and general exercise. So not going too bad.

Anonymous
Thu, 08/06/2009 - 08:40

Your doing lot's well done.

Are you doing any kind of altitude training? That is the only thing I think we may suffer with. The fitness levels and stamina are very good, any ideas on what is best foe altitude training?

My email is diljit@goldexinvestments.com would be easier to communicate if you care to use that.

Thanks John. Have a good day.

Anonymous

Gents - my name is Josh (American in London, 34) and I'm joining the group as a single.  I just singed up for the trip about 2 weeks ago so rushing to get everything in order.  I fly from London to Nairobi next Monday and then join the group Tuesday morning early for the Kenya flight to Kili.  Very much looking forward to meeting you all.
Trying to go through all the trip preparations (visa, vaccinations, equipment).  I'm going to hire the sleeping bag, mat, and jacket.  Trip notes not that great when it comes to the actual clothing we should wear.  I am breaking in my boots, have good hiking socks, thermal underwear and tops, hiking trousers (the light kind that zip off into shorts), gloves, etc.  Did some damage on the credit card last weekend in a shopping spree in New York :-).
Interested in any other tips you may have - other forums seem well populated but ours is lacking!
Talk to you guys soon.
Josh

Anonymous
Sun, 09/20/2009 - 15:19

Another question - are you guys getting your visas before you go or just taking care of them at the airport?  thx

Anonymous
Wed, 09/23/2009 - 14:39

Hi everyone. I am not on your trip but I just got back from this Rongai Route trek on friday and wanted to wish you the best of British for your climb.

It really is a great trek and the weather was wonderful - I hope it holds up for you!! Visas were available very quickly on arrival at Kili airport and we did not have to wait more than five minutes for the visa-less.

Happy trekking and enjoy Uhuru Peak!

Jane  

You recently looked at