Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

19th June, Kilimanjaro Rongai Route

Anonymous
Tue, 04/28/2009 - 13:24

Hi- is there anybody out there??

First time using exodus, in fact first time for a trekking holiday but I hope it won't be my last! Looking forward to the physical and mental challenge and also meeting new people. Can't imagine what it will feel like if I manage get to the summitt. Slightly nervous about altitude sickness, especially after watching the comic relief thing so any suggestions of how to deal with it??

Look forward to hearing from anyone else going on the same date as me.

Giles

Anonymous
Mon, 05/04/2009 - 23:03

Hey Giles, Glad to hear from someone else on the trip. Just back from climbing Snowdon, this weekend, to prepare for the big climb. Am getting more and more excited now, although the 1000m of Snowdon left me a little achy and only 5000m more to reach the summit of Kili! 

Altitude sickness will be a problem, and I'm not sure there's anything you can do to prepare for it. Slowly up the mountain seems to be the only thing to keep it at bay.

Look forward to meeting you in Tanzania!

Louise  

Fri, 05/08/2009 - 15:43

This thread may help

http://www.exodus.co.uk/forum/post/12595-altitude-sickness

Good luck on the climb. Did the Rongai route in '05-a stunning experience

Anonymous
Thu, 05/28/2009 - 11:33

Hi Giles & Louise and anyone else on the trip!

Looking forward to meeting all of you.  Have done a bit of altitude over the past few years - the Simien mountains in Ethiopia, the Inca Trail and Mount Kinabalu in Borneo.  I got slight headaches and indigestion but no sickness.  However that doesn't mean I will escape this time round...!  I remember being disappointed in Peru - they prepared the most amazing food and I was only able to graze...

I haven't done much trekking to prepare but have done speed work and uphill walking on the treadmill.  Hopefully that will help me use oxygen more efficiently.

Can't believe it is only 3 weeks away!

See you soon.
Averil

Anonymous
Mon, 06/08/2009 - 17:35

Hi Deborah

Yep- I'm going to give it a go (every little helps..!) When getting my jabs I mentioned it to the doctor and it turns out he had used it himself with very positive effects.

Not long now!

Giles

Anonymous
Tue, 06/09/2009 - 13:12

Hi again

I'm sure ski trousers would be good (I've never worn them myself) but I'm taking a couple of pairs of craghopper trousers and waterproofs- basically plenty of layers!

There seems so much to remember and I'll probably forget something (most likely my walking boots!!)

Giles 

Anonymous
Wed, 06/17/2009 - 18:20

I think I'm going to travel in my walking boots so I don't forget them (or they don't get lost in transit). 

See you all very soon.  I'll be looking out for Exodus kit bags at Heathrow on Friday....

Deborah

You recently looked at