Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Everest Base Camp

Anonymous
Thu, 03/19/2009 - 20:33

Hi there,

I have booked to go on the base camp trek, it actually departs on the 15th of October. Has anybody else booked on the trip.

John Lomas

Anonymous
Tue, 04/07/2009 - 20:46

Hi John,

Haven't booked anything yet but I'm planning on going on this date - Have you done anything like this before?

Anonymous
Wed, 04/08/2009 - 16:10

Hi Pipsie,

I haven't been on a trip like this before. I have spoken to some people who have done the same route before, one of which is a mountain guide and they say if you are in good physical health its not too diffecult. I do quite alot of cycling and some walking so i'm hoping i'm up to the challenge.

John

Anonymous
Wed, 04/08/2009 - 19:20

Hi John, Nice to hear from you, I'm going to the gym and walking but I was told that just running up stairs (Like the London Underground!!!) is good trainning. Heres my e-mail address anyway if you want to get in touch pip_jcarr@yahoo.com

Pip 

Anonymous
Thu, 04/09/2009 - 16:28

Hiya Pip

Good to hear from you. I've sent you an e-mail.

John

Anonymous
Sat, 05/16/2009 - 10:02

I have booked on this trip to Everest Base Camp and would like to chat about training and other preparation.  I have not done much walking in the past but went to Snowdonia over Easter and have booked a trip to the Lake District in June.  How is your training going?

Lucy

Anonymous
Sun, 05/17/2009 - 20:33

Hiya Lucy,

Good to hear from you. I have been gradually buying kit for the last couple of months to spread out the cost. I am pretty much at novice at this kind of trip, I do quite a lot of cycling during the year so i am hoping that will pay off a bit. I also get out and wailk in Derbyshire as much as possible. How's your training going?

John

Anonymous
Sun, 05/17/2009 - 20:39

Hiya Lucy,

Ignore that last sentence of mine as you have already answered it. Sounds like your doing the right kind of training, have you got much kit to get?

John

Anonymous
Mon, 05/18/2009 - 18:47

Hi John

Like you I have decided to start now and buy a bit at a time and I am trying to keep the costs down.  I think I can use a ski jacket (as shown in photo) which comes with matching trousers and have already got thermals and fleeces.  I've got some lightweight boots, they don't give me blisters but they hurt a bit around the ankles last time I used them, what type of boots have you got?  Also have to buy the day bag and contents, have you got any suggestions about this? 

Lucy

Anonymous
Mon, 05/18/2009 - 20:56

Hiya Lucy,

I have spoken with someone who is a British guide in the Himalayas and he says the seasons over there are pretty much like ours. He said that for the walking days use what you use overhere, I've some icebreaker base layers,  a couple of 100 weight fleeces and an extra warm layer just in case. My extra warm layer is a generator smock made from that pertex primaloft stuff, you can get them from any good outdoor place. They are really lightweight but incredibly warm. For the evening when I've stopped walking I was thinking of getting a 4 seasons down jacket. I got my boots last year and have been walking them in. I've got a pair of scarpa's, I think they were the GTX type. Good walking socks like Bridgedales are also worth a punt aswell.

I have been chatting with Pip via our e-mails. If you want to chat via e-mail, my address is  johnlomas67@btinternet.com  We can copy all three of us in and share any info if you like. I hope this is of some help.

Speak soon

John

Anonymous
Mon, 05/18/2009 - 21:09

Lucy,

Just looked at your last bit about the day pack, I can only remember one thing at a time (typical bloke). So far all i've got is my day pack that I use overhere. I dont think we'll have to carry too much. I'm thinking perhaps my waterproofs, warm layer, water ( i might wear that on my hip), suncream, hat and gloves ( once I get higher up) also anything like loo roll etc. What i might do is get my gear together first and then have a dry run packing it, it may be I might need a slightly larger pack. I dont want to carry too much though.

Speak soon

John

Anonymous
Wed, 05/20/2009 - 12:49

Hi Lucy, Glad to hear from you if you want to e-mail me its pip_jcarr@yahoo.com.  Mother-in-law has just bought me a jacket for the trip - will have to be nice to her now!! lol. Sounds like you are training hard. I've just finished my exams so will need to get down the gym.

pip

Anonymous
Sat, 06/06/2009 - 18:42

Hi everyone

i have booked to go on the base camp trip! yay, very excited, but a complete amateur to this sort of adventure. so any advice or tips would be great. i have heard that you can get almost all of the gear in kathmandu for a third of the price of what you pay here in the uk. is this true?

chat soon hopefully

kush 

Anonymous
Mon, 06/08/2009 - 11:09

Hi Kush, 

Can't wait for the trip although Ithink more exercising is needed!! - If you look at the pevious messges my e-mails on there if you want to give us a shout.

Speak later

Pip

Anonymous
Mon, 06/08/2009 - 17:15

Hi Kush,

Good to hear from you, I have also heard you can get gear in Kathmandu and that it is cheaper. I have pretty much got most of my gear. I'll get the odd item there.  Like Pip if you look in the previous messages you'll see my e-mail address, will be good to chat.

John 

Anonymous
Sun, 06/21/2009 - 11:06

I thnk you are right about the gear being cheaper in Nepal, but I am gradually getting mine over here so that I can try it out first.  My email is lucybannen@hotmail.com, let me know if you have any problems emailling me, because it seems to block a lot.  

Lucy

Anonymous
Mon, 07/13/2009 - 12:56

Hi - I'm not going on this trip, I'm off to Kilimanjaro this year, but have been to Base Camp area before. You can get cheap kit in Kathmandu, however you get what you pay for!! If you want decent equipment that isn't going to let you down, purchase it in the UK from a reputable source (or hire) rather than buying dodgy gear in Nepal.

A few tips - get as fit as you can, because the altitude makes it that much harder, therefore good underlying fitness will help you enjoy the trip. Try stairs or a stepper if you can't get to the mountains very often. Don't put anything in your day pack that you might not need, its all extra weight to carry! Also take some warm gear for evenings and nights, when it can get very cold! Enjoy!!

Anonymous
Sun, 07/19/2009 - 22:22

Thanks Ateall for the advise, particularly on the equipment. I'm trying to do as much exercise as possible before I go. Enjoy your trip.

John

Anonymous
Tue, 07/21/2009 - 00:16

Hi All,

I'm not actually going on this trip but I did a shorter version a couple of years ago. Top tip that someone gave me before I went. Take at least one metal water bottle (Sigg type) The guides usually boil the drinking water the night before, you can fill up your metal water bottle with hot water and pop it into your sleepin bag - keeps you nice and warm on very very cold nights.

Take plenty of layers. It can be quite warm during the day when  the sun is out but it cools down very quickly when the sun drops behind the mountains.

It can also be very dusty on the trail  as you follow behind other people (I was amazed at how much sand there was ! ) so take something to cover your nose/ mouth when walking.

Hand cleaning gel is an absolute must - the money is filthy and toilet facilities are very primitive on the trail - even in tea houses.

Hope you all have a great time. Its a fantastic place. 

Anonymous
Tue, 07/21/2009 - 17:23

Hiya June

Many thanks for the tips. I was undecided about taking one of those buff thingy's to cover my nose and mouth but what you've just said has swayed me.

Thanks

John

Anonymous
Wed, 07/22/2009 - 10:28

Hi June,

Thanks for the info thats great and really helpful, if you get a chance would you mind e-mailing me at pip_jcarr@yahoo.com just a few 'silly' questions to ask you!!!

Thanks loads

Pip

Anonymous
Thu, 09/24/2009 - 17:03

Just wondering if anybody else who is going on the trip wants to chat about preparation etc beforehand. Four of us are chatting via e-mail. Would be good to chat with anyone else who is due to go on the trip.

john

You recently looked at