Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

TYR Kilimanjaro - Shira route -18th June

Anonymous
Thu, 03/19/2009 - 17:42

Is anybody there? I know there's a group of 8 and 4 individuals including myself- all male, so looks like I will have to start this off.

Only booked last week- last one I believe. Just got back from the Rongai trip having failed to reach the summit. Got as far as Gilmans Point then got hit by the dreaded Altitude sickness and had to go down. I hope this route has a better chance being longer, to acclimatise. Some of our group took Diamox. Take lots of Dollars - everyone seems to want a tip!

9/12 made it to Uhuru but quite honestly the 'journey' there is fantastic and you need to be philosophical about not reaching the summit - which is why Im having another crack at it!

Patrick

My latest posts

Anonymous
Sat, 05/23/2009 - 19:09

Patrick,

I guess I am one of the 4 individual chaps going on this. Looking forward to it, if not slightly apprehensive - I could be in a little better shape! I have made no expectations other than getting as far as possible.  But hopefully we'll all make it to Uhuru. Look forward to meeting -you probably at the airport. Nice tip on the dollars, I'll get some small notes.

Wayne.

Anonymous
Sat, 05/30/2009 - 16:31

Wayne,

Last week I had to drop out because of a knee injury - lost 60% of what I paid, but hope to re-book for the New Year. You will be fine. Its more about stamina than fitness and being mentally positive. Remember the porters will be carrying most of your kit and your tent will be pitched when you arrive at each campsite - even the portable loo is not so bad. Just eat and drink whatever they give you. Your drinking tube will probably freeze on the last night so carry spare bottles upside down in your rucksac.

Good-luck

Anonymous
Sun, 05/31/2009 - 17:40

Patrick,

Sorry to hear this. All the best in your recovery and hope you can rebook in the new year for another crack. 

Wayne.

You recently looked at