Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

nepal

Anonymous
Tue, 03/10/2009 - 00:03

hi. i need some advice. i want to go trekking in nepal in december. i'm thinking of the annapurna circuit but am not sure about tackling the thorong la pass in the depths of december. has anyone any advice on trek conditions temperature etc. my "plan b" is annapurna sanctuary. any help would be appreciated.

Wed, 03/11/2009 - 10:24

I went trekking around the Poon Hill area in late October. It was hot during the day and fairly cold at night. I expect that in December it will be warm during the day and freezing at night, with snow on the high ground like Thorong La or in the sanctuary.

Wed, 04/01/2009 - 09:09

Hi. Just come back from the Annapurna Circuit. The trek has a range of temps. In the lowlands, temps were around 25 degrees during the day, but after 3/4 days as you climb higher, that dropped to around 10-15 during the days. From Manang onwards temps fell considerably, and for the crossing of the Thorong La, we went out in the early hours of the morning at about -10 degrees. It gets warmer, but not much, when the sun comes up to just above freezing. Night temps are much cooler, but the lodges have warm blankets to throw over your sleeping bag, so no worries there. Good thermals, warm hat and gloves will see you through the cold days. In December the temps will be about 5 degrees lower than we experienced, but don't let that put you off, as the trek is absolutely amazing.

Wed, 04/08/2009 - 10:35

It's true temperatures will be lower than usual ( sub zero on the pass ) and Thorong La will almost certainly be snow-covered. That said, we have never had a group unable to cross the pass in December, the views will be absolutely beautiful and in December you miss the peak trekking season, meaning there will be far fewer people around. It's a great time to go!

You recently looked at