Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Everest Base Camp - March 1st Departure (not 2nd!)

Anonymous
Tue, 02/10/2009 - 12:43

Not long to go now! Received my Exodus Kit Bag this morning and gotta try to pack it!

Who else is on this trip? I'm getting excited now! They're threatening to slap me at work if I don't shut up about it...

Who else is going on this one?

Regards,

Ian

Anonymous
Fri, 02/13/2009 - 11:16

Hi Ian,

Got the final joining instructions on Monday but still awaiting the Exodus Kit Bag.

Agree about the work thing, I booked back in November 2007 and work will be glad to get rid of me.

Just over two weeks, can't wait.

Regards

Simon

Anonymous
Fri, 02/13/2009 - 15:18

Hi Simon,

Nice to hear from you! You should be getting your bag imminently - going to be spending the weekend trying to pack it!

I can't wait either - it's been six months since I booked it! But can't believe it's just round the corner! Have you done anything like this before? This is my first time on this kind of trip - hopefully I'll cope, just take things slowly I guess!

Regards,

Ian

Anonymous
Mon, 02/16/2009 - 09:14

Ian,

First time with something of this scale. Been getting some walking in over the past months when I can, coming from Bath everything is up hill so should help.

Will finalise my kit this week, should have everything but you can never tell until it's all laid out. Oswald Bailey and Blacks have made a fortune out of me in over the past year. The only thing I have to work out is how much cash to take.

Was originally booked on the 22nd Feb departure but that was cancelled as only 2 of us were on it, so shifted to the right.

My wife is apprehensive about me going and my son keeps asking when I am going up the mountain.

Hopefully kit bag will arrive this week, but no worries if it doesn't as I have a decent rucksack that I can use anyway.

Regards,

Simon

Anonymous
Tue, 02/17/2009 - 11:38

Ian,

Sounds about right with what I was reckoning on for the money side. Sitting down this evening to cross check all my kit. Need to pick up a new dry-bag to keep my sleeping bag in so may need to pay Oswald Bailey's another visit, oh the shame.

Kind Regards

Simon

Anonymous
Wed, 02/18/2009 - 13:52

Hi Jenny, I've bought a dry liner for my kitbag, just in case there's a downpour and the bags get a good soaking. Thought about using an ordinary bin-liner but that was likely to rip after several re-packs! It was less than a tenner and looks like it'll stand up to some abuse - for that I mean me frantically packing it in the mornings! From what I've read of AMS though, it seems like the best things to do are to drink water regularly, take thinngs slowly and listen to the advice of the guides. And I definately will be!!!

Wed, 02/18/2009 - 15:21

Hi Guys. Excuse me butting in on your chat, but it's a slow day at work! You may find the following forum string useful;

http://www.exodus.co.uk/forum/post/12595-altitude-sickness

The best trick, on top of the aspirin etc, is to go very slowly, drink gallons, and take plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. Nepal is stunning, and we're going back in 3 weeks for the Annapurna Circuit.

Anonymous
Wed, 02/18/2009 - 15:29

Hi Steve, no worries! Any input is welcome! I've been taking aspirin and Ginko Biloba since the start of this month after I read that post! That's all I plan to do, plod along slowly, drink plenty and enjoy the fact I'm not in a crappy office staring out over an industrial estate! Hopefully I'll cope!

Wed, 02/18/2009 - 15:44

Driving rusty nails into your kneecaps is better than being stuck in a crappy office staring out at an industrial estate, Have a good trip, and be ready for the madness of Kathmandu.

Anonymous
Wed, 02/18/2009 - 15:58

I shouldn't moan really - the view here's pretty good! I get to look out over 6 (count them!) electricity pylons!!!! Thanks for your posts though - will let all know how we got on when we get back!

Anonymous
Thu, 02/19/2009 - 00:12

Thanks for the advice - great site on AMS. Hugely helpful. JennyN

Anonymous
Fri, 02/20/2009 - 09:03

This is how I see it - we're all in this together and as long as we all stick together and look out for one another we'll be fine! This will be such an adventure - can't wait to meet you all and share it with you! Nepal here we come!

Anonymous
Fri, 02/20/2009 - 09:48

Hi all,

I think you have just summed it up completely Ian. So much better if you can share the experience, and besides you are more likely to spot the signs in others rather than yourself. Thanks for the advice on AMS Steve, if you are still monitoring this forum.
Jenny, if you don't want to go down the dry bag route, use heavy duty rubble bags from a DIY shop, they are thicker than the normal bin bag and as a result will last longer if not overly abused.
Can't believe it's less than a week to go. Interesting to see if anyone else joins the forum before the 1st.

Regards

Simon

Hi Ian, SImon and Jenny - we are looking forward to meeting up with everyone in Kathmandu -does anyone know how many have signed up as yet?

Have also got Diamox at the ready - have heard it can be helpful if you have difficulty sleeping at altitude -ie 125mg taken an hour before bed.

Main problem at present is trying to keep the kit bag weight under 12Kg !

regards

Graeme and Rhoda

Anonymous
Wed, 02/25/2009 - 07:55

12 on trip total from what exodus told me. 6 guys, 4 girls, 1 couple. See u sunday. JennyN

Anonymous
Wed, 02/25/2009 - 20:38

Hi Graeme and Rhoda, nice to see someone else in here. 12 of us then Jenny good number but not over crowded. E-mailed Exodus yesterday as kit bag still not arrived, it is now in the post. Very pleased, as having weighed my rucksack, at 1.8kg I would have been taking less than Ian and the toothbrush would have been very short indead. 4 Days, can't wait. Regards Simon.

Anonymous
Thu, 02/26/2009 - 16:24

I've just received my final joining instructions and the kit bag came yesterday, should be able to get everything in as I'm quite a light packer (and besides it will leave more space for lots of shopping!). In terms of coping with the altitude I plan to drink lots of water (I've heard about 5L per day is recommended), keep the pop consumption down and just take it relatively easy, I don't think that there is much more that anyone can do, if AMS is going to strike then it does, we just need to avoid summit fever and do the sensible thing. My living room also looks like sale time at Blacks. See you all at the airport on Sunday (subject to not breaking anything playing hockey on Saturday!).

Anonymous
Thu, 02/26/2009 - 18:13

Nice to hear from you! Same here about the altitude - I plan to get that amount of water down me and take things really slow and easy. No racing, no worries - I'd rather get there last than not at all! My living room looks a bit like Blacks too - getting organised now though. This will be an adventure of a lifetime - can't wait! Look forward to meeting you. Regards, Ian.

Anonymous
Fri, 02/27/2009 - 07:27

Hello Jeanette, at least 5 names I may be able to remember when we get there. Bag arrived yesterday so the long toothbrush is back in. Getting itchy feet now, just want to get on with the trip. One stop at GoOutdoors this afternoon and I'm done. See you all Sunday, can't miss me I'll be wandering around aimlessly with a Bright Red 45L Berghaus (The Black and Grey version wasn't on offer, but at least I won't misplace it). Regards Simon.

Anonymous
Fri, 02/27/2009 - 10:21

Me too! Want to get going now! And I'll also be wandering aimlessly around the airport as the coach I'm getting there arrives at 5pm! Lots of time to kill!

Anonymous
Sat, 02/28/2009 - 20:37

There's nothing wrong with a bright red Berghaus, I'll be wandering around T3 wearing a bright red jacket which is a bit of a clash with the Osprey rucksack (icky blue, grey thing). Does anyone know what adaptor plug to take to Nepal, I know that I've seen a web address somewhere where I can check but for the life of me I cannot find it? See you all tomorrow, I won't be getting there that early, just taking the train and leaving the car at home for once.

You recently looked at