Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

The right Coat?

Anonymous
Mon, 01/26/2009 - 16:26

Hi there

I am off to Spitzbergen on the arctic adventure on June 24th. I have thermals and fleeces, but have no idea of the type of coat i would need or what type of trousers, are jeans ok?. Not sure if a ski jacket is ok for a coat or should i get something else. Does anyone know? Obvioulsy the cheaper the better but i want to be warm.

Many thanks  :-)

Anonymous
Mon, 02/02/2009 - 11:51

Ski jacket is good, down jacket is better. Good gloves essential, a hat that covers your ears and long johns. It is dry in Spitsbergen, very rarely colder than today (if you are in South East England), but the wind can be an issue.

Enjoy your trip!

Fri, 02/27/2009 - 23:32

I was on the Vavilov around Svalbard last August and we had a fantastic time. I have a waterproof yachting top and trousers which were ideal outerwear but those hired out on board seemed just as good. Ditto their wellies, even my size 12, so you don't need to take those. I'd recommend being as flexible as possible; take waterproof top and trousers, thermal 'long-johns', several thermal tops or pullovers that can be worn in various combinations including all together, a warm ear-covering hat, a neck-warmer and gloves, preferably a thermal inner and waterproof outer pair. Apparent temperature varies greatly - sometimes warm on deck and when trekking in the sun, v. cold cruising for an hour in the zodiac in a mist. But you'll have a marvellous time. Finally, phone the Exodus experts, they know. John T.

Anonymous
Mon, 04/27/2009 - 13:53

Thank you to those who answered my question. I shall bring a range of clothes better more combinations than less. Many thanks

Anonymous
Wed, 06/03/2009 - 10:10

Thank you Graham, that was great advice. I have got lots of stuff now - so much so that i am going to have to get it all out and make sure i can fit it all in. I ended up with a down jacket in the end, mainly because i couldn't find another one that fit me as well, so i hope that and layers will be enough. We will see. I have had a nightmare finding gear as i didn't realise the outdoor stores worked in seasons and of course they have none of the winter ski snowboard gear in and look at me as if i am crazy when i ask. I just assumed they would keep stock all year round especially for mad people like us that are going to far flung places.

Anyway looking forward to it, i shall see you onboard and thanks again for the advice.

Marina

Tue, 06/09/2009 - 13:49

Hi Marina,

No problem. That may be why I have the gear I have. Only the salopettes I would classify as winter ski snowboard gear, the rest is year round. Teh down jacket and layers should be fine. I have layers and a gortex jacket, just a lot of layers! Are you on the group flight on the Wednesday night? If you are see you there.

Graham

Anonymous

Hi Everyone, I'm a late joiner on the trip, having got a cancellation. Going frantic getting hold of all the stuff, spending far too much. I've got a goretex coat with lots of layers - hope that will do. Hoping to borrow ski salopettes from a friend - otherwise it will have to be long johns and trackies underneath waterproof trousers.

Has anyone heard of a camera mitten or glove? I've been told that it is a good idea to wrap the camera in a specially construted mitten or glove to prevent the camera batteries depleting too fast because of the cold. I could only find really expensive ones on the web. So instead I am spending a fortune on getting lots of spare batteries. Someone I know quoted about 6-7 spares. Can anyone else advise?

Anonymous
Wed, 06/10/2009 - 12:16

Hi Nicky,

You can charge your batteries in your cabin no problem. Have no idea what camera mitten is but do not panic, it is not that cold and you should not be getting wet as long as you have good bag for camera which is splash proof it is fine. It is summer is Spitsbergen the temperature rarely goes below -2.

Thanks

Fri, 06/12/2009 - 18:03

I don't have a camera mitten or glove, and neither did I need one in the Antarctic last year. As far as spare batteries are concerend I have two spares, giving me three in total, though I could have got away with two in total, but I prefer one in camera, one fully charged in bag or trouser pockets and one on charge on board the Vavilov, or in my camera bag. It all depends on how much power you camera uses. I have a Canon 350D and a 70-300 IS USM lens and it worked fine. Saying that I've just bought a Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM lens, so that may eat more power. Next week will be spent testing it!

Anonymous
Mon, 06/15/2009 - 00:00

Thanks Imran and Wanderlustg for that information, as well as the others who posted info on clothing.

I now feel reassured that my six batteries should be enough and I can forget about the camera mitten! (I shall be bringing a charger, but was worried that I might get through all six in one day's shooting. I have a Canon 40D with 17-85mm and 100-400mm lenses.) Does anyone know whether a tripod would be useful or more of a hindrance? After all, the boat moves! And lugging the stuff on shore seems rather a hassle.

Mon, 06/15/2009 - 13:40

Loads of people took tripods to Antarctica, including me. It all depends on your strength / confidence on hand holding your big lens for a long period of time. As I was using my 70-300 last time (630g) I ended up using my tripod only for videoing whilst whilst ashore.  I set it up, pointed it and then I took photos. Now I have the 150-500 at 1.9kg I'm going to take it just in case!

Graham

Anonymous
Mon, 06/15/2009 - 23:21

Hi Graham,

Thanks for that. I'm still deciding... and it's quite a minefield, with all the different heads to choose from, let alone the tripod legs. I'll see.

Anonymous
Tue, 06/16/2009 - 10:28

Looking forward to the trip only a week to go. I think i am on the group flight, if that is the one leaving Heathrow at 7.30pm on the 24th. I hope so, i shall look out for for luggage with Exodus tags on them and go say hello (hopefully it will be the right trip).

See you all there

Marina

Tue, 06/16/2009 - 13:50

@Nicky - You have a better tripod then me!

@Marina - Yes that's the group flight at 19:30. After baggage drop off (you can check in online), a quick trip to duty free (Norway is not part of the EU so I believe we still qualify for duty free) I shall no doubt head towards O'Neills for a drink and a bite to eat since SAS will charge us on board the flight for everything. So look for me in there!

Anonymous
Fri, 06/19/2009 - 13:02

Another last minute question, and Graham you may know the answer to this?

Is it wise for me to bring a sleeping bag. I assume linen is provided in the cabins, but will they get cold at night ( i am always cold) and is it wise to bring the bag just for warmth. Graham what did you do in the Antarctic?

I am giogn to actually aly all my stuff out over the weekend and pack and also then realise i am probably missing loads of things ;-)

Fri, 06/19/2009 - 13:24

Hello Marina,

I am a late addition to the Vavilov next week - am really excited about going! This ship is heated and I believe is generally quite warm inside. I really wouldn't weigh yourself down with a sleeping bag. I'm told that while indoors on the ship, a t-shirt and long-sleeved top are plenty to keep you at the right temperature.

See you next week!

Louisa 

Sat, 06/20/2009 - 01:38

Hi Marina,

Don't waste the space taking a sleeping bag. The ship is generally warm. If your roomie opens the window then the temperature will drop ... it all depends if you end up sharing with people that like windows open all the time. Personally yes in the summer, no in the winter ... I have no wish to try and heat up the outside! I never had a problem in the Antarctic and there are extra blankets if you want in the cabin, and if you want more, then goe and ask the 'hotel manager' who will be happy to oblige. One thing I will admit to doing is sleeping with my fleece beenie on, and I will no doubt do it on this trip. My hair is short and I feel the cold ... well my head certainly gets cold, so I wear it in bed too to keep my head warm. I also wear it with the front pulled down over my eyes; again personal thing, I find it helps me sleep as it keeps the 24 hour daylight out of my eyes. yes the cabins have curtains, but you know, belt and braces!

Some (mad!) people wondered around ship in shorts, t-shirt and sandles ... I didn't. It's down to layers again. You may be sat in the observation lounge, quite happily warm and enjoying a hot drink but if something appears and you head on straight out. So I tend to have camera and fleeces etc on hand to pull on as and when necessary without having to return to my cabin.

Same here re layout. I started last weekend on the spare bed and this weekend it's finish and dry run pack because I need to fit the new lens into my hand luggage ... so much easier said then done. Especially as I had a frantic week with that. Picked the new lens up on Monday evening and while trying it out I found a fault with it, so I had a mad week sorting out getting it replaced ... they didn't have any more in stock. I finally managed to head to their office and swap the lens this lunchtime ...

Sad but true ... 12 years of trips like this and I have my packing list with all possible climate variations etc covered! It still doesn't stop you from finding one or two items that need to be cleaned or repaired! 

You recently looked at