Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Bike Hire .... UK or local any recomendations?

Anonymous
Wed, 01/07/2009 - 14:18

Hi,

Looking at doing the Cycle Indochina & Angkor Wat trip in April.

Debating hireing a bike locally or from the UK (additional £35 + airline hassle)

... Anyone been on the trip and have opinions  or anything negative to say about the local bike s?

Cheers,

~John

Anonymous
Mon, 01/19/2009 - 10:34

I have just been on the November 2008 trip and it was amazing. We all had such a good time. Cambodia will take your breath away. Wish I was still there now. It was all so increadibly beautiful and worth every penny. Loved all three countries. Make sure you go on the optional boat trip onto Tonle Sap Lake when you are staying in Siem Reap. The deep fried spiders were quite tasty in Cambodia!! The bikes were all fine that we hired out there, although my husband had problems with his so they just replaced his bike. I couldn't fault mine. The back up on the trip is superb and any problems with the bikes were sorted out immediately by the excellent support crews. The island stay in Vietnam is a little piece of magic. Could I sing the praises of this trip any more?! Have a great time. Best wishes, Claire D.

Anonymous
Mon, 01/19/2009 - 10:37

Most people took personal preference things like saddles, toe clips, cleats etc. with them if they preferred to have them. You will be cycling about 300 miles during the trip so it is worth taking these with you if you do have a preference. The local crews will then put them on for you. I forgot to take my toe clips but my bike was fine without them, I just got used to not having them.

Claire D.

Anonymous
Sat, 03/14/2009 - 11:52

Local bikes are fine, we had different one's when we got over into Vietnam and those were not so well looked after, but no problems. As mentioned take your own saddle if you have a preference, but all of us suffered saddle sores due to long hours in the saddle and perspiration so I'd recommended plenty of changes of shorts/short liners and some sort of cream - I've not used creams myself but I think some people recommend vasaline, or I think there's dedicated creams to deal with that sort of thing?

It's a fantastic trip, I'm jealous, I'd happily do it again, superb acommodation backup and guides ... you'll want to stay forever!

Enjoy

Anonymous
Mon, 03/23/2009 - 18:43

Just come back from the March trip. Bikes hired locally were excellent. No one brought their own bike, though some did bring saddles/covers/clips. Only issue I had with the bikes was the lack of end bars as this led to too much of the same position with the hands, causing quite severe numbness.

Saddle sores were a slight problem, but think you'd get that with any bike + 300 miles + extreme heat :)  

You recently looked at