Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

HIGHLIGHTS OF NORTHERN INDIA - 26 Feb

Anonymous
Fri, 12/19/2008 - 19:01

Hey, I've just booked up! Would be great to hear from others on this solo trip before we take off. Get in touch!

Chloe

Anonymous
Thu, 01/29/2009 - 16:38

Hi Chloe, I am also going on this trip and really looking forward to it. I have not been on an Exodus 'solo' trip before, have you? Clare

Anonymous
Thu, 02/12/2009 - 19:48

Hello both!

I am also coming on the trip - so that makes 3 females so far, Am really looking forward to it. One of my colleagues has just returned from India. he was bowled over but hated Delhi!

Rebecca

Anonymous
Fri, 02/13/2009 - 09:59

Hello again,
This is my first trip with Exodus, and it is getting closer! Despite it being a Solo travelers trip, I do know another person coming on the trip - so that makes 4 females!

I'm not sure how many people are booked up in total on the trip. I suppose we will have to wait and see!

Can you not buy Indian currency out of India? What is everyone doing about money when they arrive, if this is the case?

Chloe

Anonymous
Sat, 02/14/2009 - 21:53

Glad to see some other people in the forum! After buying a number of guidebooks to cover our trip, I can recommend DK's Eyewitness Travel India. There's a Lonely Planet one for Rajasthan, Delhi & Agra, but this doesn't seem to cover all the places on our trip. The Footprint one is good, but IMHO can't compete in the glossy pic's department with the DK one... Looking forward to our adventure and meeting you all! - Clare

Anonymous
Sat, 02/14/2009 - 21:57

I have read that you are not supposed to take any Indian rupees in or out of the country, so I guess I will take a mix of £s, US$ and some travellers chqs.

Anonymous
Sun, 02/15/2009 - 12:49

Yes, I've read that too. No money to be taken in or out of India. I always feel a bit nervous travelling with no money at all, so agree that a mix of travellers' cheques and some sterling is probably best. Assume we can get cash out at the airport as soon as we arrive?

Good tips re travel books. Have been struggling to find one so far.

Have got a nurse's appointment this week re vacinnations. I think its only malaria I'm not sure about? Has anyone else had advice that we need malaria tablets?

Rebecca

Anonymous
Sun, 02/15/2009 - 22:57

I think I've gone through the full gamut of choices on this one. First off, my doc's/nurse looked at the map and we decided it was low risk, thus no tablets required, but you are supposed to use bug spray etc, which seems sensible. Then you start to read all sorts of opposing views for/against, and you can't exactly see from the 'malaria map' where say, Varanassi is and the tiger park - are they in the pinker bit, or not, and on it goes... So much as it goes against the grain to take anything you don't really need to, I think I will take some anti-malarials, but suspect it's not absolutely necessary for the nature of our trip. Or is it?!?!?!?!

Anonymous
Mon, 02/16/2009 - 14:23

Thanks for the advice on the guidebooks, I have printed a bit of stuff off the Rough Guides website, which is useful. I was told also that Malaria tablets were not necessary for the area and time of year we are going, but I’m going to be taking lots of precautions after reading about what Malaria actually is! I think they say to use 40-50% Deet in sprays and to wear dark clothing and cover up at night. I have only had Typhoid and Hep A injections, as my others are up to date. Did anyone see Slumdog Millionaire? Gave an excellent taste of what to expect!

Anonymous
Mon, 02/16/2009 - 22:20

Does anybody know what class we're in on our train journeys? I had a look on a web site and it said there are 8 different ones!

Anonymous
Thu, 02/19/2009 - 09:15

If anyone is interested... Just noticed that Radio 4's In Our Time programme (9am, 19th Feb) is featuring a discussion of the observatory at Jaipur. No doubt you can do a 'listen again' on the BBC web site - Clare

Anonymous
Fri, 02/20/2009 - 21:57

Hi both

I went to the nurse last night - she said the same - no need to take malaria tablets but spray lots and cover up.
I got the DK Eyewitness 'Delhi' guide cheaper on Amazon so will bring that. Looks very exciting - LOVED Slumdog Millionaire - it's one of the reasons I thought of visiting India.
Have borrowed a rucksack to make travelling on trains/boats a bit easier!
need to sort clothes next - can't remember how hot it will be?

R

Anonymous
Mon, 02/23/2009 - 17:03

Was planning on taking a mix of travellers chqs & cash in sterling, but the travel agent advised that it's best to do both in US$ with £ being weak and at risk of being 'declined' in Asia and Egypt (no specific mention of India, though). Anyway the rate for the $ against the £ is quite healthy, so can't complain! C.

You recently looked at