Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Experiences in Borneo

Anonymous
Mon, 11/17/2008 - 22:25

In September 08 I embarked on the Trails of Borneo trip with mixed feelings after doing lot's of research on climbing Kinabalu, leeches, etc

If you are looking at this trip and aren't sure about what the grade 'challenging' means. Take it literally!! If you don't currently do regular excercise you will struggle. Most of the day walks are no more than 8km which is managable for even the fair weather walker or occasional gym goer. However, don't underestimate Mount Kinabalu. I thought I was pretty fit but Kinabalu proved to be the hardest thing I have done. Not so much aerobically as that is all dependant on if you suffer from the altitude but the strain on the leg muscles and knees is tough - going down is the worst part and I relied on my trust walking pole to help me with the thousands of large steps. I wasn't the fastest, nor was I the slowest in our group in getting to Laban Rata Resthouse and it took me a good 4.5 hours. By which point it was almost dark and I was physically exhausted and felt a little sick. There are lot's of rest stops on the way up and the scenery is incredible. It was all worthwhile when I walked into the resthouse to be greeted by my fab fellow travellers, with a cheer. Obviously every group varies massively but I think I can safely say that although our ages and experiences in life varied massively we were a good group and I have made a couple of lifelong friends.

Ok I'll try and list some essentials:

Walking pole for coming down mountain, you can buy these at base of mountain. 1 is probably better than 2 so you have a hand free.

Camelbak or bladder 1.5 - 2 litres. Really handy so you have hands free for the masses of photo opportunities. Investing in a decent camera is worthwhile. Look out for butterflies in the undergrowth behind camp 5.

Insect repllant (50% deet rather than 100% to avoid skin irritation, it's strong stuff!) I took 3 bottles and used almost all of it. Always have one at the ready to spray leeches. I only encountered 1 but others on the trip had lot's!

Thermals and warm clothes for night in mountain hut. You will sleep in bunk beds,  to a room and none of us got any more than an hour or so's sleep due to the cold. You might also want an extra layer at camp 5 as it got a little cold at night.

Blow up travel pillow

gaiters or leech socks mainly for eco camp where the bug life increases.

Head torch and hand held torch are a must

notebook or diary. Useful when sorting out photos and trying to remember when you did what, how long you stayed for etc.

Don't expect too much from Sepilok orangutan centre. You won't be walking through the forest with the monkeys and orangs walking next to you. They will come pretty close but expect hundreds of tourists taking photos. This part was a disappointment for me as it felt like I was in a zoo not viewing semi wild orangs and monkeys. Also, the shop is small and over priced.

If you meet Martin at the eco camp have a good chat to him about the MESCOT project as it highlights some un publicised points. Everyone focuses on helping the orangs but there are other projects that need funding and support.

All of the accommodation and food on the trip was better than i had thought and Henry our trip leader was outstanding. The hard work he put in behind the scenes to ensure we had a smooth running trip didn't go un noticed. He has an immense knowledge of the areas visited, places to eat, local customs, places not to go etc. He also has a great sense of humour and will take time out to make sure everyone is ok. The daily briefings are really handy in letting you know the next days plans so you know what you need to wear, pack, money needed etc. Also a good opportunity to ask questions about cashpoints etc.

steer clear of the sweet and sour fish and take some Immodium tablets or equivalent. Although food and water supplies are good, the change in diet and climate means those with a slightly sensitive stomach will probably get a jelly belly at some point. Re-hydration sachets and energy powder or tablets are also an essential.

There are a few opportunities to exhange money. I took R1000 (the maximum allowed) on the trip and spent all of, the last R50 at the airport. If you are into buying lot's of souvenirs you may need a little more. This worked out at £170 at the time.

The feeling at the top of Kinabalu is like no other, my achievement has only hit me properly as I look back on my photos. The wildlife around the eco camp is incredible. Monkeys and birds galore! The people are so warm and friendly. Mulu NP is stunning and the noise of the jungle and the rain storms, unforgettable.

Although a tough trip it was honestly the best experience of my life and I recommend you go and do it. Exodus were brilliant and again, Henry our tour guide got top marks from all of us. I still struggle to put into words how great this trip was and for me it has been life changing.

Happy to answer questions as I know I had loads! abbie389401@hotmail.com

Have fun!

Anonymous
Tue, 03/09/2010 - 12:56

Hello - Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip. I've booked the Trails of Borneo trip for August 2010 and I'm wondering how fit I need to get beforehand! It does sound like a fantastic trip and you've got me really excited about it now!

Out of interest, what clothing and footwear did you take and how did it work out for you? I've got some 'technical' tshirts that are meant to be good at wicking away sweat - both long and short sleeved. I'm now looking at investing in some decent walking boots and I expect I'll take my running shoes to give my feet a break after treks. Any advice you can give me on the brands or types of clothing and shoes/trek boots you or other members of the group took (or in hindsight you wish you had taken) would be very much appreciated!

Thanks very much

Anonymous
Wed, 03/10/2010 - 20:42

i'm going on this in August

Anonymous
Fri, 04/16/2010 - 14:09

Hi Jon and Abbie,

Following on from your advice on footwear Jon, I'm really struggling to find any stores which stock that kind of boot (which sounds ideal) because whenever a mid boot is fabric, they stock the goretex / waterproofed version for use in the UK. I've also heard that goretex can work against you in hot humid conditions like Borneo by making your feet hotter and more sweaty! Do you have any experience of this? Did people on your trip find a boot with some ankle support more useful than a shoe, especially for Mt Kinabalu?

Also, I'm looking at a day sack of around 20 - 30 litres, would you say this would be big enough?

Thanks,

Amberley

Fri, 04/16/2010 - 16:55

Hi if you cannot find boots then well vented trail shoes should be fine, if you have walking poles they will give you additional stability. The path on Kinabalu is not rocky, two people on my trip did it in trainers. Also in Mulu NP the paths are not rough, in fact on the first day you walk on a raised wooden boardwalk so boots are overkill. I would take a 30-35L pack, especially if you opt not to use a porter on Kinabalu.

You recently looked at