Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Galapagos islands

Anonymous
Fri, 09/26/2008 - 19:56

Looking forward to our trip to the Galapagos Islands in November. Any tips from travellers re what to take in the way of snorkelling equipment, is it worth taking wet suit, is sea sickness a problem on a 16-berth boat? any comments welcome!

Sat, 09/17/2011 - 09:22

To answer this for future travellers. Good enough quality snorkel equipment can be hired on bord. Snorkel, mask, fins and wetsuit. A wetsuit was needed in September as the water was chilly. Also helps with buoncy in choppy waters.

Sea sickness was also a problem in September. Out of the 4 of us, I was the only one who did not feel queasy at any point. The nght time sails at this time of year can be quite rolling. 

Tue, 10/11/2011 - 22:38

Hi Annie - we went in November last year and the water was very chilly.  We were told this was due to la nina as opposed to el nino.  Anyhow, you can hire all the gear on board but the costs can mount up.  You only need a basic mask, snorkel & fins (I had these already).  We bought shortie wetsuits from BigOrangeWatersports on the net for about £20-25 each (cheaper than hiring on board).   Their customer service was excellent - I wasn't sure of sizing so rang to discuss with them and ended up buying a 12 and a 14 just in case, returning the 14 as the 12 fitted better.  Definitely worth taking the sea sickness pills with you.  Quite often they start motoring just after dinner, and it can get quite rough quite quickly.  Let me know if you have any other queries.  Cabins are quite small. If you would like me to send you some of my pics of the boat, just let me know your e:mail address.  Regards, Alison.

You recently looked at