Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Leeches?!

Anonymous
Fri, 09/12/2008 - 12:37

Has anyone been trekking in the Annapurna region in December / January?  At that time of year, were the leeches really as bad as I've heard about in the travel guides?  By all accounts the region is pretty bad for leeches in the time during / around the monsoon, but was wondering if anyone would be able to advise on how bad they are when the weather is a bit colder?

Also if anyone has been on the Annapurna Trails & Chitwan trip, how difficult is the walking?  My wife is a bit concerned about the amount of "up hill and down dale" there might be. 

Sat, 09/13/2008 - 12:02

On the trekking trails in December/January there are no incidents of leaches at all. At no point are you walking on wet soggy ground. Your trek is along stone steps and hard/dry compacted earth. The weather is dry at this time of year so the paths do not become muddy. In terms of weather your trekking days will be in warm conditions with sun. You will perhaps need a fleece when you stop to rest to protect yourself against any breeze but sun cream will be more important! As soon as the sun dips beneath the mountains it will become cold and expect temperatures to drop to 0C. It's overall a great time of year to be there. Stable weather and less trekkers will ensure a great trip!

The Annapurna Trails and Chitwan trip offers an introduction to trekking in Nepal. There is a resonable ascent and descent each day on the stone steps but plenty of rest stops and long lunches are taken. Anybody who enjoys a good walk at the weekend would enjoy this trek without having to build up any further fitness. The highest part of the trek reaching Poon Hill will work the lungs a bit as you reach over 3000m but this is for a short while and the views from the top across the Annapurna Range are magnificent.
Emma Garrick - Product Manager Nepal

Anonymous
Mon, 09/15/2008 - 23:21

Thanks for the reply - very helpful

Wed, 10/29/2008 - 13:24

Hi there,

I did this trip in  March this year (with another operator), and found that although there are some steep sections (the second day trekking starts off quite hard) that overall it's not too bad, partly because the trekking isn't very long every day so you don't get too tired.  The steep bits don't go on too long either so if you're pushed, you can just go very slowly and rest as you need to - you can always make up time (if you feel the need to) on the easier stretches. The scenery is so beautiful that it's worth stopping frequently anyway.  Also I found that rather than having a long rest or sitting down, it's better just to stop for a few seconds, still standing, just as and when you need to get your breath and then carry on.   Enjoy!

You recently looked at