Skip to main content
Find your perfect adventure

Find your adventure

search-wrapper

Advice on Sahara Desert Trek Please!

Anonymous
Fri, 03/28/2008 - 11:37

Hi, I'm off on the Sahara Desert trek in a weeks time and I'm incredibly excited about it, but also a little confused about how much or how little clothing to take and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has done this, or a similar trek, that might be able to give me a few pointers on what, as well as how much, to take.  Is it the sort of trek where a clean top is very welcome after the previous days trek, or is it just rough and ready!  Don't want to arrive with too much, but also don't want to find that even the camels don't want to walk down wind of me after a few days of trekking ... lol!

All advice gratefully received

Jx 

Anonymous
Tue, 04/01/2008 - 17:35

Hi Jimjim,

By the time you read this you will be back ! Hope it all went well. I am doing this trip in November, and any points you think might be of help would be much appreciated. (I am planning along the lines of disposable underwear and throwaway/giveaway T-shirts, which worked extremey well during two weeks trekking in Nepal!)

Regards,

Amdrammer

Anonymous
Sat, 05/24/2008 - 16:54

I did this trek about a year ago.Packing was straightforward:light clothes that keep you covered from sun & wind.It gets cold at night -once the sun starts to go down- so sweatshirts etc useful & thermals for night-time perhaps & a decent sleeping bag. I find it nice on treks to bring some dried fruit or something sweet to have during the day.

Anonymous

Hi there!

Just a few days now until your trek.
I would say if you are are having difficulty to decide how much clothing to take, err on the side of caution. You will have an Exodus kit bag that you can take on the trek and the camels will look after this during the day for you - all you need to carry is your day pack. So as long as all your belongings fit in to the kit bag you will be fine - a few extra tops will not go a miss as, as you know, the facilities at the overnight camps are basic, but this does make the trip all the more exciting!
Use the what to pack section of the trip notes as a guide as to what to take and don't forget your warm clothes for the cold evenings in the desert.

Enjoy the trek!
Best regards,

Lesley
Trip Manager

Wed, 06/25/2008 - 14:36

Amdrammer, don't throw away clothes buy some anti-bacterial ones like those made from merino wool or that have an anti-bacterial treatment. E.g. Icebreaker, Cantebury, Rohan, Lowe Alpine etc

You recently looked at