Would you consider going on a holiday on your own?

Wed, 06/02/2010 - 11:44

Join the discussion on our Facebook Page.

Fri, 11/25/2011 - 13:12

Hi claire,

yes yr help will be much appreciated, i really would like to take a solo holiday, i will be looking forward to hear about yr experience. And in the meantime enjoy Morocco :)

Shar

Tue, 12/06/2011 - 18:01

Hi Shar

Just got back - had an amazing time, met some awesome people. The group got on well throughout the holiday even though there was a range of ages every one just got on well. There was a real good vibe on the bus everyone was talking to each other and kept switching seats so everyone got to talk to everyone else.

Sun, 01/08/2012 - 19:42

For anyone who still has doubts...

I was 26 before I decided that going on holiday with my parents was not cool anymore! I am a very shy person and will never make the first move, so I decided to book a trip I would feel comfortable on. I am a massive motorsports fan so I went to the Formula One race in Canada and the US. I knew I would be with people with the same interest, and I had already been to the States so knew the food/language/culture would not scare me.

This gave me the condfidence I needed, and I have now been on 13 trips solo, five with Exodus. The groups have ranged in size from 4 (3 women and me) to 100, and 14 to 70+ years old. I am often youngest, sometimes by 20+ years!

The main thing to realise is that you are going somewhere you want to, or doing something you enjoy, and so will the other people on the trip. This immediately gives you something in common with your fellow travellers and a great ice-breaker over the first dinner. You will come away with a list of places to go that grows with each holiday.

I never thought I would go to the corners of the world that I have, and now regret waiting so long. Would I prefer a travelling companion? Sometimes. Will being on my own stop me? Never.

Fri, 08/30/2013 - 23:30

What a great idea.... Travelling with like minded singles. Making new friends and sharing the experience.

Wed, 09/04/2013 - 03:18

My upcoming trip to Morocco will be my fourth solo adventure, although my first with Exodus. On each one, though, I'm only as solo as I want to be, as I've met many great people along the way.

I'm more afraid of missing out on my travel dreams than I am of travelling alone. That's what tips my pros/cons list and gets me going.

Safe ships never leave the harbour. Or something like that!

Christine

Wed, 09/04/2013 - 12:29

I've been going on solo trips for over thirty years, either alone or joining groups such as Exodus. If you are going entirely alone you may feel a little nervous about whether you have got things right but it's usually easy to check and once you have joined a group you can consult the others if you have any doubts.

Sun, 10/13/2013 - 18:06

I'm looking to do southern India flying out on 25th Jan 2014. It will be my first trip on my own and my first trip with exodus im looking forward to getting away and meeting new people but bit nervous at the same time. As the saying goes "He who dares, wins"

Mon, 10/14/2013 - 18:40

South Indias good. Been twice. First time sight seeing, second time trecking. Have a good time Mika.

Wed, 11/20/2013 - 21:53

Hiya, I'm 22 and last month did the South Africa Garden Route trip.

I am a born worrier and was anxious as i'd never flown long haul before let along gone away on my own but the holiday was fantastic. Everyone gets involved and i've made great friends and the confidence you have afterwards from doing it on your own means the world is now your oyster so to anyone thinking about booking but is worried please don't be! Go for it!

If you're shy or worried about mixing etc then all the better as most of the holidays involve group activities so you're with your group all day anyway so you don't have to worry about being left out or forcing your company on anyone, they're already there!

Wed, 11/20/2013 - 21:55

Oh and I agree, i'd hate all female trips! There were only 3 men on my trip anyway but it's the mix of people and not knowing who you're going to meet that makes it so fun.

Sun, 01/26/2014 - 18:03

Don't give up dream destinations for the sake of no travelling companion! I went on a the Thai Indo Explorer last August as a solo traveller as a friend let me down. I toyed with the idea of cancelling the trip but decided to bite the bullet and have a go, I am so glad that I did. The trip was amazing, Exodus staff superb from sorting things over the phone in the. UK to guides in the three countries. We still have reunions as a group and keep in touch via Facebook and email. I booked Cuba with a single supplement for this year as I did share last year and it was ok but not perfect. So am treating myself this year. I would definitely travel solo again with Exodus?

Sun, 01/26/2014 - 18:03