Discover Sri Lanka - solo tour

Wed, 01/09/2013 - 00:06

Is anyone else booked or planning on booking the solo trip for discover Sri lanka departing at the end of september?

Mon, 03/25/2013 - 12:49

Hi just thought I would see if since I started the above if anybody has booked on the solo trip, this will be my first solo trip so would be nice to hear from someone else who is going along.  Thanks

Mon, 04/01/2013 - 21:10

Hi I'm booked on the solo Sri Lanka trip departing end Sept too. I haven't travelled with Exodus before but am looking forward to it.

Mon, 05/20/2013 - 12:52

Hello,

Just booked the trip, cannot wait it looks amazing.

This will be my second trip with exodus, the first being a couple of years . Glad to say that Exodus were superb from start to finish

Not looking to wish my life away but cannot wait to September !!

Fri, 05/31/2013 - 09:39

Hi all,

I am also booked on this tour.  Not travelled with Explore before but have been

on similar tours.

Only 4 months to go now!

Ge-Anne

Fri, 05/31/2013 - 10:30

Hi,

Glad to hear there are quite a few of us booked on the trip, only just realised I had responses as my email was putting the notification in junk mail so didn't realise, so sorry for not responding sooner.  I am getting really excited but I probably will be a little nervous too nearer the time as will be my first ever solo trip but all the reviews of Exodus have been great so hopefully will be an amazing experience. Are any of you flying through exodus or have you arranged separate flights?

Fri, 05/31/2013 - 10:37

Hello,

I will be flying through Exodus from Heathrow .

Not entirely looking forward to the long flight but I am sure it will be worth it !

Looks a wonderful country, and the trip looks quite varied as well.

Tue, 07/02/2013 - 20:22

Hello everyone,

I am also on this trip (flying from Heathrow) and booked this morning, apparently there are 11 of us so far.

Can't wait to go and looking forward to meeting you all :-)

Leo

Sun, 07/07/2013 - 20:35

Yes,likewise Leo. Should be a great trip

Mon, 07/08/2013 - 15:08

Hi everyone, I'll also be going on the trip. Really excited, sounds like it will be amazing. I'll be flying from heathrow, so might see some of you there.

Claire

Sat, 07/20/2013 - 17:52

Hi,

Have any of you got your Sri Lankan visas yet? If so, which site did you use?

Thanks!!

Claire

Sat, 07/20/2013 - 17:59

Thanks Simon!!

Fri, 08/16/2013 - 14:19

Hi everyone, can't believe it is almost here only 6 weeks left, just hoping I have everything I need now!! This is my first ever trip like this, on my own and a lot more adventurous so trying to check everything off, there is a lot to think about :-) but can't wait it looks amazing.

Just wondered what people were taking luggage wise, are most of you going with suitcases? Also for the ladies of the group what were you planning to wear for the meal at the Hill Club as I know it is a little bit more formal with men having to wear shirts etc?  Thanks, speak soon

Fri, 08/16/2013 - 14:24

Hi Sarah,

Yes, it will be upon us in no time.  I haven't even started to think about what I'll take to be honest, but it's likely it will be a fairly big suitcase as opposed to a back pack, and I'll probably bring a dress for the meal at the Hill Club (though nothing too posh!).

Can't wait!

Claire.

Sat, 08/17/2013 - 17:38

Hi there, I just made a last minute booking to come on this trip last eve. Can't wait! Have done lots of travelling before but never with Exodus. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Thanks for the visa link Simon!!

Sat, 08/17/2013 - 17:48

No problems.

Looks an amazing trip, fast approaching the departure date !

Cannot wait !

Sat, 08/17/2013 - 21:15

It really is fast approaching Simon and thanks for the visa link. Now completed and now in holiday countdown mode :-)

Sarah mentioned about the the Hill Club. So how formal is formal for guys? Shirt and trousers or will I also need jacket and tie? Not really wanting to bring a suit if I can help it.

Sat, 08/17/2013 - 21:30

I have had a quick look and it does suggest that it's formal wear for Gents, mentioning tie and jacket. Like you I don't fancy packing a jacket ...probably wont have room as well

Sat, 08/17/2013 - 22:20

Cheers Simon. I guess I need to read through the trip notes again as I hadn't spotted that.

Sat, 08/17/2013 - 22:32

I just had a quick read. I'm sure we'd be alright with a collared shirt and non-jean trousers. A tie won't take up too much room just in case. I'm sure the guys at Exodus will be able to advise accordingly. I'll drop them a line at some point.

Sat, 08/17/2013 - 23:23

I was thinking the same thing and ended up dropping them a line earlier, so I will post their response.

Mon, 08/19/2013 - 15:49

On the subject of the above please see reply from Exodus, hope it helps

Simon

Dear Simon, Thanks for your email. Please note that when in Nuwara Eliya the group stays in Hill Club Hotel which has a section of a restaurant where they want guests to wear formal attire. It is just that they do not allow shorts/jeans/scandals when in this section/room. Please note that there are other restaurants in the hotel should you not have shirt or trousers. Also it is not necessary you have to have a suit and tie just formal shirt and trousers is fine should you want to go to this restaurant.  Hope this helps Have a lovely trip Regards Niraj

Mon, 08/19/2013 - 19:06

Cheers Simon. Looks like you beat me posting. I got pretty much the same reply from Niraj :-)

Out of interst has anyone been given any advice on Malaria?

Fitfortravel indicates low to no risk and anti-malarials are not usually advised, so just wondering if anyone has been told anything different. Will be seeing GP anyway so just curious.

Tue, 08/20/2013 - 09:01

Hi Leo, I went to the GP about a month ago to get all my jabs and was told I didn't need the malaria injection as apparently it is only at higher risk in the northern part of Sri Lanka which fortunately we aren't going to reach.  I am not taking any anti-malaria tablets, will just be smothering myself in Deet to avoid as many of their bites as I can!  Bit confusing on the Hill Club for you but I think I read somewhere that jackets and ties can be borrowed if required to save you having to take.

Tue, 08/20/2013 - 14:29

Hi Sarah, Thanks for confirming what I thought. Deet is also on my pack list, but too be honest I don't like to use it. So I'm hoping there won't be too many mozzies but I always seem to be a bit of a mozzie magnet so I suspect by the end I will be bathing in the stuff :-) and unless I have a lot of free room then I probably won't be bringing a jacket and will just borrow one if it becomes a problem.

Thu, 08/22/2013 - 20:59

Hi guys, just trying to get my visa sorted but Exodus haven't issued me with flight info yet. We're travelling from Heathrow eve on 28th yes? Can somebody tell me the flight details please (company and flight number).

Thanks

Thu, 08/22/2013 - 21:03

Sorry, forget that last post! Just found them in another e-mail.

Thu, 08/22/2013 - 21:07

Actually I do still need the address where we are staying on the first night in Sri Lanka I think?

Thu, 08/22/2013 - 21:24

I put Sanmali Beach Hotel, Marawila, Sri Lanka. Which I took off the booking confirmation.

Thu, 08/22/2013 - 21:26

Ahhh yes - note to self....must read ALL small print on important documents!!

Thu, 08/22/2013 - 21:35

Haha I did exactly the same and it took me a while to find it too. Surprised if they read it anyway or it's automated, as I got my visa email back a few minutes later :-)

Sat, 08/31/2013 - 09:03

Hi all, booked in Jan and done nothing since except visa; so now thinking I should think about getting myself organised... Thanks to Sarah for sharing advice re antimalarials - saves me a trip to the GP - apparently if you take vitamin B, they're less attracted to you. I've done nothing about the optional activities, although I want to do the elephant ride, whale watching and river rafting. I'm assuming we book/ pay at that time. If anyone knows differently, please let me know. Thanks V

Tue, 09/03/2013 - 10:38

Hi Victoria, for the other Exodus trips I have been on the optional trips were paid locally so I would be surprised if this one is any different.

Wed, 09/11/2013 - 16:06

Hi everyone, can't believe it is so close!! I saw the other day we have received our final joining instructions, but when I printed them out I noticed the departure flight from London has changed to an hour later, so it is 21:35 rather than 20:35.  Also our return flight gets back to London an hour later too, I'm sure you all have noticed as well but I just wanted to make people aware just in case.  Especially if you have organised travel to airport and you need to change the pick up times etc.  I phoned exodus to make sure this change was correct as I didn't see any notice from them that flight times were changing, but I may have missed this and they confirmed the times were correct.  Speak soon, thanks.

Wed, 09/11/2013 - 18:22

Thanks for the message Sarah - ticking off the days. No, hadn't noticed that but I'll be trekking across London on the dear old Piccadily line in any case.

Did anyone scrutinise the 'Universal Packing list'? Reckon we'll really need a sleeping bag inner if we're staying in hotels every night? Also, hiking boots? Pretty big and heavy to get in a bag/ case. I'm thinking of getting some strap on sandals with good grip which I'm hoping would be ok and just as good.

Just about to get my yearly travel insurance. Anyone got any tips? I was just going to plump for Insure and co or something similar which seem to offer all I need.

Wed, 09/11/2013 - 19:45

Sarah, thanks for the heads up on the flights.

Simon I can't imagine a sleeping bag liner will be needed unless I missed something in the notes about camping and I won't be bringing boots but will be bringing walking shoes and sandals. As to insurance i was planning on using the policy that comes with my bank account so I can't really recommend a company but something to keep in mind is that if you were wanting to do the white water rafting then you may want to check your policy covers you.

Mon, 09/16/2013 - 15:29

Wow, looks like everyone is a lot more organised than I am. Will have to read the trip notes in a lot more detail. I am not planning on bringing anything too fancy clothingwise as a daily move between hotels pretty much guarantees everything will be creased! Sleeping bag inner should not be required, I did a similar trip to Indonesia a couple of years ago and the bedding in hotels was always clean.

Have been checking the weather forecase for Colombo and I will be packing a waterproof jacket

Mon, 09/16/2013 - 17:39

Don't worry Ge-Anne, I am far from organised!!  I am currently selling my house and buying another so have had no time lately to think about this trip.... but that's going to make it even more special as I will really need the break by then :).

Looking forwards to meeting you all in 2 weeks time!

Mon, 09/16/2013 - 19:05

Hi all,
I'm also booked on this trip and am looking forward to it
A little tip about anti-mozzie cream. I found a brilliant Boots brand that worked really well for my South India trip last year. It's called Repel and isn't Deet based. It goes on like body lotion and smells good. I had the yellow Natural Citrepel 75 one last year and wasn't eaten at all (and they usually love my blood) except for once when sea water washed the cream off my ankles. I've bought the light blue Repel Once Light Fragrance one this year which smells even better. Maybe bring along a Deet based one as backup but Repel worked fantastically for me.
Looking forward to meeting you all.
Happy packing. Caireen

Wed, 09/18/2013 - 16:31

Hi Caireen,

Thanks for the tip on the mozzie cream. Will have a go at this as mozzies seem to favour me normally. Having said that there are a few more people on this trip which appear to be mozzie bate....perhaps I'll stay close to them instead! Ge-Anne

Wed, 09/25/2013 - 16:49

Hello, so just couple of days to go! Can't believe it is almost here, just praying I have everything I need and that my fitness will be up to scratch :-)  thanks to Caireen for the tip on the mozzie cream, unfortunately I have already bought my lotion and it does have deet in it but I didn't think it smelt too bad so fingers crossed I won't repel all of you!!

I just wondered if anyone fancied maybe meeting up in Costa or another cafe in Heathrow departure lounge Saturday for those who are flying with Exodus.  Maybe around 7.30ish as we should hopefully all be through security by then, just thought it would be nice as we can have over an hour of getting to know one another before arriving in Sri Lanka.  Let me know what you think, Sarah.

Wed, 09/25/2013 - 17:24

Hi Sarah, I would be up for that & Costa sounds good!

Can't believe the time has come around so quickly :).  Really must start packing...

Claire.

Wed, 09/25/2013 - 20:10

Hi Sarah, that sounds good. See you there.
Thanks for the FAQ site, Simon. There's helpful info on there.
Ge-Anne, I think we'll all gravitate towards the ones with the sweetest blood for protection.
See you soon. Caireen

Thu, 09/26/2013 - 22:00

It would be great to try and meet up at Costa so hopefully see you there.

Thu, 09/26/2013 - 22:00

Hi all, I've checked in on line which makes it all feel very real. Can't wait until Saturday, and look forward to meeting you all then - will definitely head to the costa once I'm through security to rendez-vous. V

Thu, 09/26/2013 - 22:08

Hi guys, yep happy to meet up there...though I fear I may need something a little stronger than a coffee after I get  through my last minute work deadlines.  Can't wait to get on that beach at Marawila!!!

Thu, 09/26/2013 - 22:41

Thanks Victoria you have just made my evening as Exodus told me I couldn't check in online as it was a group booking. Now checked in and definitely feels real now and just need to think about packing and remind myself I'm not going for 6 months :-)

Fri, 09/27/2013 - 10:29

Great, will hopefully see some of you at costa tomorrow then :-) I know what you mean Leo, I'm sure I have too much stuff but keep saying well I better take this to be on the safe side .....